Project Cars 2 VR? Is it OK?

Soldato
You could get a Reverb G2 when they are released, they are supposed to have very sharp lenses and cheaper than the Index.

I thought he said he had a 1070? A 1070 can't run a rverb at full resolution on PC2. -Not even when set to potato.

I know the G2 has the half-resolution feature, but then he's back in the same blurry boat.

I think the most cost-effective route would be the Rift S. It's about the sharpest image he can get that the 1070 will actually be able to push. Even with the S, he will still need to run low settings for the 1070 to hold 90FPS.

Associate
I thought he said he had a 1070? A 1070 can't run a rverb at full resolution on PC2. -Not even when set to potato.

I know the G2 has the half-resolution feature, but then he's back in the same blurry boat.

I think the most cost-effective route would be the Rift S. It's about the sharpest image he can get that the 1070 will actually be able to push. Even with the S, he will still need to run low settings for the 1070 to hold 90FPS.
Yes, sorry about that, completely forgot about the 1070, agree with you on the rift s.

Associate
You could get a Reverb G2 when they are released, they are supposed to have very sharp lenses and cheaper than the Index.
Yes mate already thinking about a proper pc vr system lol,
This is my first experience in vr with the quest 2,
I'm hoping when my 3080 comes it will sort out the issues, fingers crossed,
Maybe the limitations of the link cable play a factor as well,

Associate
Shameless plug for those who enjoy PC2.

If you're interested there is a cross platform Time Trial competition, default setups, random combos. Drive some weird stuff and get to know all the content. League structure, various championships so you're always competing against someone of similar ability. Lots of analysis tools to see where you are losing time vs others (pick another driver to compare). Completely free to join up, no prizes it's just for fun and banter. We also do Monday night racing for PC users, random combos with a discord channel. It involves installing an app to collect udp data from the game, PC or IOS (although the IOS one seems to have been impacted by latest IOS update).

www.stoopidchallenges.com

Soldato
Yes mate already thinking about a proper pc vr system lol,
This is my first experience in vr with the quest 2,
I'm hoping when my 3080 comes it will sort out the issues, fingers crossed,
Maybe the limitations of the link cable play a factor as well,

Ok, I am going to have to see what this is like for myself. Downloading the Demo now and will try it out.

I will use the Link cable and Virtual Desktop.

My graphics card is a 2070 Super.

Associate
Ok, I am going to have to see what this is like for myself. Downloading the Demo now and will try it out.

I will use the Link cable and Virtual Desktop.

My graphics card is a 2070 Super.
Ok bud,
Managed to take it round my nephews, hooked it up to his system,
he has a 5700xt and a CV1,
Imo The cv1 was better in every single way apart from the obvious resolution, could see the pixels,
Apart from that CV1 Wins for me,
There was also no noticeable difference in gfx quality using his 5700xt on the quest 2, just had more fps so could up the setting a bit but it still looked poor, i think the problem lies with the compression of the link cable

Soldato
Ok bud,
Managed to take it round my nephews, hooked it up to his system,
he has a 5700xt and a CV1,
Imo The cv1 was better in every single way apart from the obvious resolution, could see the pixels,
Apart from that CV1 Wins for me,
There was also no noticeable difference in gfx quality using his 5700xt on the quest 2, just had more fps so could up the setting a bit but it still looked poor, i think the problem lies with the compression of the link cable

Didn't have time in the end to try this out, will get around to it tomorrow.

When you say every single way? What exactly do you mean?

Because It's leading me to believe there is something wrong with your headset, the Civ 1 shouldn't look better even if you are using the link cable.

Associate
Didn't have time in the end to try this out, will get around to it tomorrow.

When you say every single way? What exactly do you mean?

Because It's leading me to believe there is something wrong with your headset, the Civ 1 shouldn't look better even if you are using the link cable.
Better quality picture, Car detail was better and clearer, Quest 2 gets hazy quite close to your vehicle, cv1 handles further away objects better ,
Better fps, smoother gameplay
Better anti aliasing, even tho were both set to the same settings, CV1 did a better job with it

Soldato
I've tried Project Cars 2 on the Quest 2 and it looks very good - much better than the CV1. You can actually read the dials properly and read the signs off in the distance. It's a soft-ish image though - definitely not as sharp as the Index, though the lack of SDE really helps with clarity.

Associate
I've tried Project Cars 2 on the Quest 2 and it looks very good - much better than the CV1. You can actually read the dials properly and read the signs off in the distance. It's a soft-ish image though - definitely not as sharp as the Index, though the lack of SDE really helps with clarity.
Dont know what to say pal, tried mine on 2 systems now, a 1070 and a 5700xt, and it sucked on both, maybe dodgy cable but half life alyx seems to run and look just fine, not very Sharpe but acceptable,
in the test the cable showed 2.6 gbps,
Clarity of signage is very poor unless its a massive billboard

Soldato
Dont know what to say pal, tried mine on 2 systems now, a 1070 and a 5700xt, and it sucked on both, maybe dodgy cable but half life alyx seems to run and look just fine, not very Sharpe but acceptable,
in the test the cable showed 2.6 gbps,
Clarity of signage is very poor unless its a massive billboard

You've got your glasses on right? Silly question I know but someone in another thread didn't think he needed glasses in VR.

Associate
You've got your glasses on right? Silly question I know but someone in another thread didn't think he needed glasses in VR.
Dont need glasses mate,
My nephew agreed with everything I said and seen as well, after seeing mine hes keeping his cv1 and not getting a quest 2,
maybe need to hunt down another quest 2 user nearby see what theirs looks like

Associate
I've also tried assetto corsa, does a much better job, just lacks the Sharpe clean look,
Same for automobilisa 2, does a much better job, surprising as it's the same engine,
But that also lacks the crisp detail, and the sharpening tool seems to cause more issues than it solves, performance is miles better though,
Tbh guys I think I've just expected to much from VR in games,
Maybe the tech just ain't there yet to match my expectations, I've pre ordered the g2 but I'm now thinking I might cancel that in fear of it not living up to my expectations.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMS 2 looks razor on my Index Dave, sharp without the aliasing issues of Pcars. By far the best looking racer in VR in my opinion, just take a look at the gen retro around Cadwell, VIR or Bathurst. I can't talk to the quest, but i'm expecting even better on the G2.

Id hold fire or find somebody that'll demo you an Index or something, something ain't right if AMS2 ain't amazing you all ends up visually.

Associate
AMS 2 looks razor on my Index Dave, sharp without the aliasing issues of Pcars. By far the best looking racer in VR in my opinion, just take a look at the gen retro around Cadwell, VIR or Bathurst. I can't talk to the quest, but i'm expecting even better on the G2.

Id hold fire or find somebody that'll demo you an Index or something, something ain't right if AMS2 ain't amazing you all ends up visually.
Good to hear,
yeah its does look a lot better than pcars 2, and performance is better, was maxing the 72 refresh rate with much higher settings,
Would love to see what a index looks like for my own eyes, dont know anyone who owns one though
Hoping the g2 will give graphics similar to what you see on the desktop monitor or at least get close to it paired with a 3080,
Would that be to high a expectation do you think?
It's been my first leap into vr, and I think if I had been around since the DK1 days I would probably be more impressed with this quest 2, as its stands I'm quite underwhelmed, but as I mentioned that's probably my own fault for expecting to much,
Cheers

Soldato
Good to hear,
yeah its does look a lot better than pcars 2, and performance is better, was maxing the 72 refresh rate with much higher settings,
Would love to see what a index looks like for my own eyes, dont know anyone who owns one though
Hoping the g2 will give graphics similar to what you see on the desktop monitor or at least get close to it paired with a 3080,
It's been my first leap into vr, and I think if I had been around since the DK1 days I would probably be more impressed with this quest 2, as its stands I'm quite underwhelmed, but as I mentioned that's probably my own fault for expecting to much,
Cheers

Dave, something isn't right, There is something wrong with your Quest 2. You mentioned in another thread about a burning smell after using the link for a while. That surely points to a faulty headset? Or maybe it's the Link cable, Are you using the Official Link cable?

Because, There isn't a hope in hell that the Civ1 looks better than the Quest 2.

In PCVR games the Reverb G2 is better of course, but it isn't far away better, There are several through the lens comparisons that show this.

Did you try Sidequest to bump the refresh rate to 90Hz and the encode resolution width to 2912? Do you even notice a difference when you change these values?

Have you tried Virtual desktop? Just to rule out the cable been the problem.

Associate
Dave, something isn't right, There is something wrong with your Quest 2. You mentioned in another thread about a burning smell after using the link for a while. That surely points to a faulty headset? Or maybe it's the Link cable, Are you using the Official Link cable?

Because, There isn't a hope in hell that the Civ1 looks better than the Quest 2.

In PCVR games the Reverb G2 is better of course, but it isn't far away better, There are several through the lens comparisons that show this.

Did you try Sidequest to bump the refresh rate to 90Hz and the encode resolution width to 2912? Do you even notice a difference when you change these values?

Have you tried Virtual desktop? Just to rule out the cable been the problem.
Waiting to hear back about the burning smell off oculus, but it was just that once, used it after and it has not repeated,
Not using the official cable no, got the anker one every one recommended, speed was 2.6 gbps,
Not tried virtual desktop or side quest, I dont have a good enough router I think so I've not thought much about Virtual desktop,
I've tried the encode width thing and tbh, I cant tell a difference,
I have put time into this, looked around for solutions tono avail sadly,

The only thing that the quest 2 beat the cv1 when I tested was the resolution, but that extra resolution ain't no good lf the compression of the link cable makes the game look worse, this is at least the conclusion Ive come to, or maybe yeah I just have a really defective headset when attached via link

Last edited:
Soldato

Already there mate. I cite AMS2 because i ramp it up to ultra most things with a few ini changes on a lowly 2080ti, 1.5 ss on the Index and it's truly the first racer where it looks as clean as monitor when running an open wheeler.

The 3080 will give you a huge boost, from what iv'e seen 3000 series just does VR better. Little bit miffed that i'll likely get the G2 before i see a 3090.

Associate
Already there mate. I cite AMS2 because i ramp it up to ultra most things with a few ini changes on a lowly 2080ti, 1.5 ss on the Index and it's truly the first racer where it looks as clean as monitor when running an open wheeler.

The 3080 will give you a huge boost, from what iv'e seen 3000 series just does VR better. Little bit miffed that i'll likely get the G2 before i see a 3090.
Sounds awesome bud, and inline with my expectations,
One thing this quest 2 did do for my was peak my interest in vr and making me want to get back into sim racing, used to play a lot few years back but not in vr

Back
Top Bottom