What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Had my first "magic smoke" today.. Trying out that ABIT BH6 and it wouldnt post (hanging on C1). Eventually got it to boot once 2 memory sticks were installed. Although it picked up the p3 850 as 566E Mhz.. Then I tried my 1ghz in the slotket and the board told me quite quickly that it did not approve :p

Must have just burned the cpu or slotket as the board is fine.

Soldato
Everything else seems fine! I am going to flash the latest bios and see if I can get the CPU recognized.

I have also realized I can use my awe32 for main sounds and AWE music but also fit my yamaha card for GM fun. Got a 3.5mm patch cable on the way for that!

But this weekend is £1 selling fees so its time for the big clear out! So setting that up will wait.

Associate
Beginning of the week I picked up a new SS7 board off ebay and went and rebuilt my K6-III+ Rig. I had to move it to a new case as the old system was AT and this new board is ATX.

The board in question... an Iwill XA100 Plus Ver 1.3. I'd never seen this board before or saw much mention of it on the various retro forums, but this board is turning out to be a mega good board for SS7. It's the Rev.G of the Ali-V chipset. This version is the one that can cache 512mb of ram without speed penalty. The Asus P5A 1.05 is very similar, but that particular board has a hardware fault which cripples CPU performance of + CPU's, this board doesn't suffer from this and runs at full speed. Another really awesome feature and I was surprised to see this is in the bios this board has SoftFSB! I can select a range of FSB from 66mhz - 140mhz from the bios. This along with Setmul means so many slow down options! Currently i'm messing with the top end of the speed and I currently run 5x110mhz and it seems to be really quick.

5PzUXRil.jpg

I'm running this with my Voodoo 3 3000, and seeing some nice 3Dmark 99 scores. With the V3 overclocked to 183mhz I'm scoring 3674. I need to map the CPU for the speeds using slowdown, but that can wait as I can't really be bothered at the moment!

Permabanned
I still have a good G-Force 2 GTS Ultra and G-Force 3.

2 cherry picked AMD Barton XPM2600 Mobile CPU's same gen as XP3200 (one was used by myself and other never out the box) hit 2.8GHZ after wire mod to unlock higher Multipliers on Mobo or go for higher FSB clock and hit 2.7+GHZ with 450-500+FSB.

Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Player.

Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speakers to match above.

Many other partss but would need go and look as been a while.

Soldato
specbits.jpg

Stocking piling bits for a special low power speccy build. Late 6a board in a plus case.
http://www.zen70509.zen.co.uk/specbits.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Trying to finish my 3Dfx collection, and finally secured this beauty. Took months of searching before I found an owner, especialy one willing to sell. Negotiated for a while, and it seems they're from the Micro state Andorra. I'm now trying to get a replica retail style box made for it.

4cTuQ2Q.jpg
qrtviRR.jpg k3ELKM8.jpg

Soldato
I cannot even begin to imagine how much that set you back! All the same, congratulations. The holy grail of 3DFX Cards. Are you going to use it? :)

Let's just say, I got really annoyed at NVIDIA's launch, and scrapped my RTX 3090 workstation build; and then I still went out of pocket because that entire new system budget wasn't enough.

As above - has it had the various fixes done to make it operational?

It doesn't have the Hanks mod, so it'll only run at max with FSAAx2; but it does run!

I'm currently sourcing some parts for 3 builds.
Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4Ghz - Intel 815 chipset
Pentium 4 2.66Ghz Northwood - Universal AGP with SIS651 chipset ( going to try and get the BIOS flashed, to maybe get a better P4 )
Athlon XP 3000+ - KT333 chipset

I want to compare it against my ATI RAGE FURY MAXX cards, V5 5500, and a V5 5800 'Special Edition'; which as 128MB, and VSA-100 cores running at 200Mhz opposed to 166Mhz like the regular 5500.

Associate
Let's just say, I got really annoyed at NVIDIA's launch, and scrapped my RTX 3090 workstation build; and then I still went out of pocket because that entire new system budget wasn't enough.

It doesn't have the Hanks mod, so it'll only run at max with FSAAx2; but it does run!

I'm currently sourcing some parts for 3 builds.
Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4Ghz - Intel 815 chipset
Pentium 4 2.66Ghz Northwood - Universal AGP with SIS651 chipset ( going to try and get the BIOS flashed, to maybe get a better P4 )
Athlon XP 3000+ - KT333 chipset

I want to compare it against my ATI RAGE FURY MAXX cards, V5 5500, and a V5 5800 'Special Edition'; which as 128MB, and VSA-100 cores running at 200Mhz opposed to 166Mhz like the regular 5500.

I actually have a 815 build with a Rage Fury Maxx hahaha. It has a 1GHZ Coppermine in it though. I do have a Tualatin machine (1400@1470) on a BX chipset, but that runs my Ti4600

Soldato
I actually have a 815 build with a Rage Fury Maxx hahaha. It has a 1GHZ Coppermine in it though. I do have a Tualatin machine (1400@1470) on a BX chipset, but that runs my Ti4600

That's a nice build! I'm still annoyed board makers changed their AGP slot layout, and just abandoned 3.3v cards.

100% amazing, any idea how many of those cards exist?

Not that many. 17 were found in the trash essentially when the 3dfx Irish building was being cleared out. I think in total 30 cards, with two confirmed impossible to fix, by Oscar; the fella that still runs a custom repair/refurbish shop for them.
He still has trays of VSA-100 processors he solders on, and bins them for the 6000's.

http://www.voodoo3dfx.com/V6k_Owners/V6k_Owners.htm

6ZzlUa0.jpg

Associate
It's funny to see a Abit board with non junk caps. Pretty used to replacing Teapo's on Abit's. Great board though, I used to have one of these back in the day i think with a Mobile Barton 2500+.

Nice addition to my sound collection today! A Trust Korg Super Sound Module. I've never seen this Wavetable board pop up before on UK ebay so when I saw it, I sent an offer straight away! Happy to have won it. I have quite a nice collection of Wavetable boards now. Still always on the lookout for different ones though!

ifmLr9il.jpg

Soldato
It's funny to see a Abit board with non junk caps. Pretty used to replacing Teapo's on Abit's. Great board though, I used to have one of these back in the day i think with a Mobile Barton 2500+.

Yes the thing has been re-capped! I've got a Barton 3000+ to go in it at the moment. Takes me back to when I originally had one back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom