Which Modem for Gigabit LAN Cable

Associate
OP
No, the switch would only do the VLAN part, your Google Wi-Fi or other router would still have to do PPPoE.

I've ordered a Netgear switch from Amazon which is coming tomorrow, but, just thinking about it, would the Netgear switch send the VLAN ID back towards the ONT? Cos thats where the VLAN ID is needed in order to connect the Google Router to the ONT.

Caporegime
You would find out which VLAN the Vodafone service operated on, and then create this VLAN in the switch. You'd then set one port on the switch to this VLAN as the native untagged VLAN, and plug your Google Wi-Fi into that port. Then on another port you would tag the VLAN, and connect this port to the Cityfibre ONT.

Associate
OP
And so the struggle continues...........

The switch didn't work, it will only let you assign a VLAN number based on number of switches, so 5 ports only a VLAN of 1-5 can be selected.

I tried selecting all, saved, connected google router, input PPPoE info, connection failed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's still possible I'm configuring wrongly, I configured the switch firstly connected his way: ONT-VF Router-Switch, this was the only way to set up the switch as it needed Internet to set up. Once the VLAN was set I then connected it this way: ONT-Switch-Google Nest WiFi Router, and tried to input PPPoE info. But connection failed.

Soldato
This might be a daft question but you are sure you're entering the PPPoE username and password correctly? I had a user in Scotland that I was supporting remotely and he had the letter from Vodafone business that said his username was blahblah12345 and the password was !@£$%^&*() and he was entering that but his actual username was [email protected] and when he put that in it worked first time.

Associate
OP
This might be a daft question but you are sure you're entering the PPPoE username and password correctly? I had a user in Scotland that I was supporting remotely and he had the letter from Vodafone business that said his username was blahblah12345 and the password was !@£$%^&*() and he was entering that but his actual username was [email protected] and when he put that in it worked first time.

Yeah I checked the details 3 times with Vodafone before trying them, even copied and pasted the details straight from the chat to a word doc, still didn't work.

I'll try some more tinkering later, but really almost my wits end with this, been trying various settings and set ups since installation back in August, and nothing seems to work.

Im actually regretting leaving my old ISP, although Vodafone offer 500mbps I only really see the benefit of this when downloading or uploading large files.

Associate
OP
What a pointless limitation, I would never even have thought to check that you couldn't use a number higher than the port quantity. Return it and get something else more sensible.

Edit: You're looking in the wrong section. See "Create 802.1Q-Based VLANs in an Advanced Configuration" from page 33 of this guide https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS105EV2/WebManagedSwitches_UM_EN.pdf

Yeah I found this part when I was trying again not long ago, set port 3 to VLAN ID 911, still not working

Caporegime
I know VLANs are quite a steep learning curve but you aren't setting them up correctly.

Let's say you are going to use port 1 for the connection to the ONT, port 2 is for connection to the Google Wi-Fi on VLAN 101, and port 3 is for connection to the Google Wi-Fi on VLAN 911. You need to make port 1 and 2 members of VLAN 101, and then ports 1 and 3 members of VLAN 911. Then in the VLAN membership you need to select VLAN 101 and ensure port 1 has a T in the box, and port 2 has a U. Then select VLAN 911 and ensure port 1 has a T in the box, and port 3 has a U.

Then go into the Port PVID section and make the PVID for port 2 101, and for port 3 911.

At that point either port 2 or 3 should work for your internet.

Associate
OP
I know VLANs are quite a steep learning curve but you aren't setting them up correctly.

Let's say you are going to use port 1 for the connection to the ONT, port 2 is for connection to the Google Wi-Fi on VLAN 101, and port 3 is for connection to the Google Wi-Fi on VLAN 911. You need to make port 1 and 2 members of VLAN 101, and then ports 1 and 3 members of VLAN 911. Then in the VLAN membership you need to select VLAN 101 and ensure port 1 has a T in the box, and port 2 has a U. Then select VLAN 911 and ensure port 1 has a T in the box, and port 3 has a U.

Then go into the Port PVID section and make the PVID for port 2 101, and for port 3 911.

At that point either port 2 or 3 should work for your internet.

Appreciate the input, I'm the kind of person that if I'm wrong about something, I'd rather just someone say it straight out and say it, so thanks for that.

Ok so I have set up as below:
VLAN-NEW1 by Scott Hastie, on Flickr

VLAN-NEW2 by Scott Hastie, on Flickr

VLAN-NEW3 by Scott Hastie, on Flickr

Is this now correct?

Also the below screens, this entry was already here from start up and it will not let me delete, will this affect the set up?
VLAN-NEW4 by Scott Hastie, on Flickr
VLAN-NEW5 by Scott Hastie, on Flickr

Caporegime
For VLAN 1 in the membership page, click the ports until it's blank for 2 and 3 to remove that VLAN from those ports completely. Other than that it all looks fine.

Or just edit VLAN 1 in the VLAN Configuration page and remove ports 2 and 3 from it, I'm not 100% sure how that switch works.

Associate
OP
For VLAN 1 in the membership page, click the ports until it's blank for 2 and 3 to remove that VLAN from those ports completely. Other than that it all looks fine.

Ok, saved the settings and it seems to be working!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the help buddy, I really appreciate it! Been trying about 2 months to find a ******* way round this!

Is there a way to log into the switch once its connected ONT-Switch-Google Router? The usual IP address I look it up on doesn't work any more.

Also, will I be able to connect other devices (NAS and SONOS Boost) to the switch to feed into my Google Router?

Caporegime
Once you have found the VLAN that worked (101 or 911) then you could put the other 3 ports into VLAN 1 only, untag VLAN 1 on all the ports, set the PVID to VLAN1, and then plug the switch into the LAN port of your Google Wi-Fi (so you have two cables going between the switch and the Google puck - one for LAN and one for WAN). This then gives you two ports to use for two devices.

If you set the IP address to something in your LAN range and make sure the management is on VLAN 1 then you'll be able to log in still.

Associate
OP
Once you have found the VLAN that worked (101 or 911) then you could put the other 3 ports into VLAN 1 only, untag VLAN 1 on all the ports, set the PVID to VLAN1, and then plug the switch into the LAN port of your Google Wi-Fi (so you have two cables going between the switch and the Google puck - one for LAN and one for WAN). This then gives you two ports to use for two devices.

If you set the IP address to something in your LAN range and make sure the management is on VLAN 1 then you'll be able to log in still.

Ok this worked also, so I can now see my NAS etc, but it's a little slower than usual.

Although I can see the Netgear Switch through the Netgear app, I can't connect to it by typing the IP into a browser, if I allow automatic IP assignment it picks IP's in the 192.168.0.2 onwards range, even though my router IP address pool starts in the 192.168.86.20 onwards range.

If I try to change the IP and gateway of the switch to IP's covered by the router, I just get an unknown error in the Netgear app.

Back
Top Bottom