• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
See im kinda in the same mindset, however AMD must still realise they have an absolute mountain of Nvidias mindshare they need to climb before they can truly bathe in the Quan!! (Jerry Maguire)

I still firmly believe this could be there Zen moment, when they brought zen performance to market against Intel, while they didnt take the gaming crown, they made 8c 16t available to all really, so much so that the 6900 Intel chip was basically rendered obsolete over night at its price point.

AMD knew they had a killer multithread chip, and the start of their journey, its only now a few gens later are they able to charge market leadership prices, as they are now the market leaders.

Lisa Su is extremely shrewd, she knows they need to buy back the gpu faith, AMD knows they have basically let Nvidia own the gpu market for a good few years now, and im fairly certain she wont come in with a similar product at a similar price, as people will just stick with what they know.

It took AMD a good few years to turn CPU sales around, i think the GPU segment will be viewed in a similar light by them.

Im not expecting them to give cards away for free, but i am expecting them to really shake up the GPU market by offering similar performance at a really attractive price.

They still need to win over die hards, and you can only do that by covering all bases (Ray Tracing, Raster perf, DLSS etc) giving the die hards no option but to see that the products are now on par or superior.

You dont charge Nvidia money in an Nvidia Monopoly as AMD if your product does not beat Nvidia across the board, no one buys at that price, they just ride out the queue.

So while its currently hard times for Nvidia, its arguably worse for AMD, as they 10000% need to get their pricing right or it will just be more of the same from them, so near yet so far.

So as i pointed out at the start, this is probably their Zen1 moment in GPU segments, while they wont be the absolute best, they should charge a price that makes their product too attractive not to consider or choose.

My 2cps

I agree with most of this, but arguably a better parallel is Zen2 - RDNA1 never competed at the high end, but it was an excellent midrange card, driver issues apart (I had problems with them also, principally around booting windows and waking from sleep).

If this does deliver on the goals they set on their roadmap, and they again deliver on RDNA3 then they may well be in market leading position. Nvidias' consumer GPU's are essentially repurposed compute cards derived from the Volta/Turing/Ampere family whereas AMD have seemingly forked designs into RDNA and CDNA. Maybe there's a more consumer centric architecture in the pipeline at Nvidia, but who knows; that would take years to design.

Xe is super exciting also.

Associate
Prattle? Sorry, don't you like being exposed to the real world when it invalidates your ill-founded stance? No, the fact of the matter is you're wilfully ignoring the real world Ampere stock and price situation and hinging everything you believe on a single incredibly lucky soul who bagged at FE. Your logic is flawed, your arguments invalid. THAT is end of.

Chill out. Anyway I got a 3080 FE. So have many others. Difficult to attain? Yes. Mythical? Hahaha.

Associate
In the context of this thread I can't help feel the more interesting question is who leaked this given how tight-lipped AMD have been? Did they sanction it? Was it a mistake for Paul to leak this?

Soldato
In the context of this thread I can't help feel the more interesting question is who leaked this given how tight-lipped AMD have been? Did they sanction it? Was it a mistake for Paul to leak this?

He said he wasn't "allowed" to show charts, games etc.

That choice of words got my attention.

Soldato
Based on that video here is my question:

If we making assumption that the Ray Tracing performance of the 6800xt RT will be at RTX2080ti levels, then will that RT even be supported in games like Control/Battlefield?

Associate
Sounding good to me, im at 3440x1440p 100hz, so sounds like i can turn it all up to 11 and enjoy :) just need prices now.

Not buying the thing in his video about prices though, AMD know they need to undercut Nvidia to claw into much needed marketshare.

DLSS competitor was slated possibly Dec or Jan, that sounds later to me. Interesting he said visual fidelity slightly worse but frame rates much better than Nvidias DLSS.

Soon the argument will be "But Nvidias DLSS looks better"

Will be hilarious if enabling the AMD upsampling and Ray Tracing out performs Nvidia in some titles

DDH

DDH

Associate
Based on that video here is my question:

If we making assumption that the Ray Tracing performance of the 6800xt RT will be at RTX2080ti levels, then will that RT even be supported in games like Control/Battlefield?

It's Microsoft DXR, so yes. NVIDIA sponsored titles I'd imagine are optimised for nvidias approach however

Soldato
"LLLLLLadies aand Gentleman..."
*Rumor
6900XT
6800XT

10 Games using the 6800XT vs 3080
@4K
AMD wins 5 games
AMD draws 2 games
AMD loses 3 games against 3080

@1440p
AMD wins 8 games
AMD loses 2 games against the 3080

DLSS competitor in December 2020...

Price?? Undecided at the time of the video. The rumor is to undercut Nvidia. But not confirmed. Rumor discussion is that, "Should we undercut Nvidia when we are on par with them?"

AMD supply should be reasonable. Not sure what that means.

Looks good if true. He says that RT performance is closer to a RTX2080TI.

Associate
So what we all thinking then if these rumors are true? Reference 6800 or Partner 6800? Im thinking Reference 6800XT or whatever it is will be around £599, partner card £630+?

Sapphire Toxic if they do one, or a Powercolor card top of the line.

Looking mainly towards a high end Sapphire though.

Soldato
I'm not assuming any of it is true tbh. Simply see what happens on game day :)

If we build an expectation of perf will equal X card then, then we set ourselves up for failure mentally. 4days. Take a break, wait for the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom