• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 8GB of Vram enough for the 3070

Soldato
It is a waste of time to "prove" what is needed or not.

I understand certain people are determined to be "right"...

I don't understand this. I'd rather know how GPUs work. If people arent interested in such details then i'd question their choice to post on this forum. The question of how much vram do games really uses doesn't suddenly become irrelevant when a GPU with a bigger buffer is announced; There is still a lot of misinformation out there and we should be wanting to get to the bottom of it, not just conveniently dismiss it because 16gb vram yo!

Associate
I don't understand this. I'd rather know how GPUs work. If people arent interested in such details then i'd question their choice to post on this forum. The question of how much vram do games really uses doesn't suddenly become irrelevant when a GPU with a bigger buffer is announced; There is still a lot of misinformation out there and we should be wanting to get to the bottom of it, not just conveniently dismiss it because 16gb vram yo!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/msi-afterburner-can-now-display-per-process-vram.291986/page-2

Have a look yourself games are on average using 5gb at 1440p ultra. Next gen games might go 8gb+(games coming out in 2022/2023) that but it should still run on 10gb vram buffer.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/vram-in-2020-2024-why-10gb-is-enough.280976/

read this too.

Personally because of the better ray tracing and DLSS I am likely going to be buying the 3080 10gb for 1440p144hz, if you are going 4k and hate compromises go with 6800xt, but 10gb should last 2 years.. at 4k and like 3-4 years on 1440p at ultra, ill just go ultra->high in 3+ years once 10gb is no longer enough in a particular title.

Soldato
4 years ago you could get a mid range video card with 8Gb of VRAM for about $240 in 2020 Nvidia is offering mid range 8Gb cards for $500 and the hordes will still eat it up like Robbie Coltrane with a plate of chips.

Associate
8GB GPU for £600 or 16GB GPU for £600... it's a no brainer.

We would all take more for the same money. End of argument, end of story. It is a waste of time to "prove" what is needed or not.

I understand certain people are determined to be "right", but you can only guarantee one thing - The need for more VRAM will always rise over time. Just accept that and move on.

First of all some of us are just enthusiasts and we find it interesting to talk about technical things such as this just for its own sake. Becuase we get to learn some new things and improve our knowledge and just get a kick out of it, which is largely why I've researched it so much.

It still matters for purchases. If you want to buy Nvidia because of Nvidia specific features such as RTX, DLSS, Gsync, PhysX etc, and the performance of these 2 cards is on par, then you may care if the 8Gb or 10Gb on the Nvidia side is enough. If you believe it's not enough erroneously you may sacrifice features you want on one side, for little or no benefit from the vRAM on the other side. Also this question will matter a whole lot more when the lower end parts start to be released by both camps, right now we've only seen the high end variants, but there's more to come at the lower end which will likely sport less memory.

No you can guarantee many things and as well as the need vRAM in future rising, you will also see the need for more GPU processing power. And video cards need both of those components so it's a legitimate question to ask if you're concerned about future proofing your card, which will become a bottlebeck first, lack of vRAM or GPU speed.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Besides, it is £469, not £600. I had one in my basket at 13:02 and could have had one if I wanted. But I am still waiting for my 3080 :)

Associate
Very true, there is a lot of misinformation in this very thread. Which thankfully can be ignored, because 16gb vram yo!

Associate
I personally think 8gb is the minimum you would want to have if you wish to run 1440p... Looking at watch dog legion benchmarks it looks like the game allocates around 8gb-9gb for 1440p at everything at ultra and ray tracing enabled.

Comparing this to a 2013 cross gen title, tomb raider 2013, which allocated 4gb at 1440p, with this new gen the vram requirements have kind of doubled.I know you can't just compare a different game to another game but its just an example here. I know some well optimised games will allocate only 6gb-8gb...But going forward it feels like almost all the new AAA titles will allocate around 8gb at 1440p at ultra settings.
Then 3 years later doom 2016 which was a true next gen title allocated around 5gb at ultra settings.

So looks like 8gb won't be *not enough* for 1080p/1440p for quite some time as long as you are okay with dropping texture pool down by a notch in a select few games that challenge the vram buffer. So I don't see any issues arising at 1440p for atleast 3 years, that is 2 years of cross gen and 1 year of true next gen games, after that I have no idea, maybe some optimised games will still let you use ultra but you will want to use high/medium because you will be getting way too less fps at ultra after 3 years due to your gpu horsepower being weak for those games to run at ultra.

They definitely gimped on the vram, but atleast its the minimum you need...

honestly, the 3070ti and 3080ti with 10gb and 12gb respectively, should have been the vram we should have gotten on the vanilla cards...

I wish amd comes up with a dlss alternative(major selling point for me) because I believe more is always better than less, while 16gb of vram is obviously overkill, i would like to have something like 12gb on my card to feel comfortable at 1440p... It is optimal for 4k.

Soldato
honestly, the 3070ti and 3080ti with 10gb and 12gb respectively, should have been the vram we should have gotten on the vanilla cards...

They should have been 12GB minimum for the 70 and 16GB for the 80. Especially as AMD have given both their competing cards 16GB.

Associate
3070 supposed to be a £470 card (or starting from prices):

OcUK cheapest:

Thats £50 off the bat. FE out of stock :o

Yeah, no chance I'm buying at inflated prices. I was either, get a Founders or leave it - and I got a Founders thankfully.

I'll still try and get a 3080 FE if I can and I'll just sell my 3070 on if I do.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah, no chance I'm buying at inflated prices. I was either, get a Founders or leave it - and I got a Founders thankfully.

I'll still try and get a 3080 FE if I can and I'll just sell my 3070 on if I do.

Good job! Yeah its hard to stomach a 5% over MSRP but when you got retailers grabbing £50-150 more than the FE it works at 11%+ which is not really acceptable after we already pay high VAT. Its not like a game bundle or a rebate is available to smooth the blow.

Back
Top Bottom