Can anyone recommend a Matt white ceiling paint

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Tbh we've found the valspar stuff to be way ahead of the dulux stuff, just buy valspar white matt.

Painted every room in my house now with valspar colours and its been two coats then done in all but the most extreme colour changes.

Associate
Tikkurika Antireflex, where two other matt white paints went on with roller marks and flashing this was perfect would only use this now.

https://www.tikkurila.co.uk/anti-reflex-white-2.html

Weird, I hadn’t come across Tikkurila before, then the other day a decorator said he swore by it and now I see this.
I’m keen to try but don’t need any painting doing right now. Will definitely keep it in mind though when the time comes.

Soldato
OP
Tikkurika Antireflex, where two other matt white paints went on with roller marks and flashing this was perfect would only use this now.

https://www.tikkurila.co.uk/anti-reflex-white-2.html
I can't really get any other paint apart from what B&Q sell

2 reasons
1) i live in guernsey so hardware shops are very limited over here and they all close before i finish work apart from B&Q
2) It would be close to impossible to get any paint shipped to over here unless i ordered a pallet load

Associate
Used Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt recently, need to thin it down a bit though.

If you have Dulux Decorator Centre near you, 7.5L is £26.39 inc VAT

Soldato
OP
You ideally want a flat Matt for ceilings especially if it's bare/new plaster
I was thinking that but Dulux doesn't do just a normal Matt in there trade range (maybe there super matt would been better for the ceiling :confused: )

Am just going to try this vinyl matt and hope it looks ok..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
I was thinking that but Dulux doesn't do just a normal Matt in there trade range (maybe there super matt would been better for the ceiling :confused: )

Am just going to try this vinyl matt and hope it looks ok..

I used the same stuff on my living room ceiling and it looks great. I painted my ceiling long ways and I could see lapping lines. I did a second coat going width ways (much shorter) and that fixed the issue for me.

Soldato
OP
B&Q also stock this paint, although Screwfix is cheaper.

It's good stuff.

If you haven't got one, get a decorating floodlamp, makes it so much easier to see where you have done.
I got one of these 3000lm flood lights https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/56...dlight-36w-smd-led-portable-green-lithium-ion
Plus am using a pretty bright head torch and put a 24watt white LED light bulb in the room
I used the same stuff on my living room ceiling and it looks great. I painted my ceiling long ways and I could see lapping lines. I did a second coat going width ways (much shorter) and that fixed the issue for me.
Thanks for this tip :)
(i didn't think of painting the second coat width ways)

Soldato
I got one of these 3000lm flood lights https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/56...dlight-36w-smd-led-portable-green-lithium-ion
Plus am using a pretty bright head torch and put a 24watt white LED light bulb in the room
Thanks for this tip :)
(i didn't think of painting the second coat width ways)

I should have painted the first coat width ways, then I wouldn't of needed a second coat! The paint is very thick and covers very well. Have a look on youtube at some video's re paint lapping lines, it might save you a load of hassle in multiple coats!

Man of Honour
Avoid crown, we bought some recently and it was pretty poor

I used Crown for skirting, etc. and wasn't very happy in the long run really - consistency was poor and in places it flaked off on contact - didn't have the same problems with the same technique used with Dulux elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom