Why are HDDs still so expensive.

Associate
Internal hard drive prices are eye watering, buying external and shucking is definitely the way to go. If you are patient and wait for them to go on sale you can get them less than half the price of an equivalent internal. On prime day I got a 14TB elements drive for £175 (£12.50/TB).

Soldato
OP
What storage do data centre people use. Surely these HDD solution should have cheaper cost over time as they are still the dominant sales. And can’t that stuff be trickled down.

Soldato
There still loads cheaper then SSD's,, Im still using HDD's for games/storage as Im only really bothered about widows being nice and snappy

Soldato
I think there is only 2 (or maybe 3) main players in the HDD market these days? Samsung, hitachi, maxtor, toshiba have all been bought out by either seagate or western digital. This monopoly means that neither company wants a price war so the prices stay high. Prices were better when there was more competition in the market.

Soldato
OP
Maxtor was long gone before the whole market consolation started around 2010s. Currently there is only seagate, western digital and toshiba. I don’t think toshiba competes in the large capacity end of the market.

anyways it is not good news for consumers. I also think there is no manufacturers because the market is not a growing one so there is no incentive for new players to come in and disrupt the status quo.

Unlike the SSD market.

Permabanned
Seems at the moment that NAS buyers are being made to suffer too. NAS drives seem to be going up in price pretty rapidly while everything else is coming down. It's even possible to get a WD Gold much cheaper than a WD Red at the moment, which is insane. And along with everything else certain drives are all out of stock now.

Back
Top Bottom