• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1050Ti Vs Radeon 7850 (maybe xfire?)

Associate
Building a new photo/light video editing PC for a friend - got a 5600X to run in it and been watching prices on the GTX 1050Ti as a nice price-to-performance card to give a bit of boost in Photoshop etc.

It's a pretty tight budget (they can flex a tiny bit but I'd rather not ask for more money) and remembered a friend has my old 7850s sitting around.

Is the 1050Ti likely to provide a decent enough boost of oomph in productivity over the 7850(s) worth spending £100-£120 of the budget on? Or is it worth considering buying back those 7850s for cheap and having some wiggle room on motherboard or a second drive?

Associate
Photo editing the 7850s should be plenty right? Video editing I'm less sure on, does it scale well with crossfire? I'd imagine the potential limitation would be the VRAM, so it'll depend on what resolution.

Associate
OP
Photo editing the 7850s should be plenty right? Video editing I'm less sure on, does it scale well with crossfire? I'd imagine the potential limitation would be the VRAM, so it'll depend on what resolution.
Well for right now the video editing is super light, they mostly just photos at the moment. I've done some Googling and it seems that where Photoshop can't utilise the GPU it'll just fall back to CPU - which the 5600X should be plenty for now.

They're also expecting to upgrade in the future, this is a bit of a "starting build" to help them kick off as they currently have nothing. Saving the money from the GPU means I can invest in a better motherboard/case/PSU.

Associate
Well for right now the video editing is super light, they mostly just photos at the moment. I've done some Googling and it seems that where Photoshop can't utilise the GPU it'll just fall back to CPU - which the 5600X should be plenty for now.

They're also expecting to upgrade in the future, this is a bit of a "starting build" to help them kick off as they currently have nothing. Saving the money from the GPU means I can invest in a better motherboard/case/PSU.

Seems like 7850 would be the better choice then. Probably don't want to invest too much into Mobo as the next Ryzen 6000 is gonna be a new socket apparently so there's not gonna be much of an upgrade path without also replacing the mobo. Better (and therefore quieter) PSU, decent fans etc. will be useful for ages though, and faster RAM seems to be pretty important for Zen 3, so the saved money could definitely go to good use.

Back
Top Bottom