What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Found these today, I remember something at the back of my mind that Majora's Mask was about somewhere but having Ocarina of Time stored with it was a nice surprise :D

Awesome! and great condition !

Just on something else, did anyone here win this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Looks-like-a-Thermalright-SLK-800-Copper-CPU-Cooler-Heatsink/124415972948

I was tempted for my NF7-S but the socket attachment doesn't seem right for the weight of the heatsink? I would want it secured via hole mounting to the back of the motherboard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does this count as retro, since it's a project for a custom modded retro voodoo 5 card.

I've made a little box for it, now just waiting on the inner box to arrive, then I'll be cutting and layering dense foam inside to hold the card.
This design is nearly 3 weeks old, but with COVID the printer took ages to get the test print made for me.

The back of the box has been changed quite a lot. With a different more up to date image of the Voodoo 5800, and more details on the VSA-100 chip revision and details.

It's a matte print instead of glossy, and all the White text, and logos are textured, so you can feel them when you rub your fingers over them.

kd4gIC2.jpg
6pBuMez.jpg
L2qFPuM.jpg

Also gotten another little finished modded card sorted.

V3 3000, but flashed with the 3500 BIOS, clocked at 200Mhz on the core, and lower latency memory modules

2XIG6fD.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
The box looks awesome dude. That's going to be an awesome collectors piece!

That V3 is very interesting. Have you done any benching with it yet? If you do plan to run it, will you be using some sort of active cooling?

Soldato
The box looks awesome dude. That's going to be an awesome collectors piece!

That V3 is very interesting. Have you done any benching with it yet? If you do plan to run it, will you be using some sort of active cooling?

Thank you! My pal can make 8 more of those 5800 SE cards, so the idea is to have a premium box, with some little goodies inside for them.

As for the V3; no benching yet sadly. My Epox KT333 chipset board needs to be completely recapped. Most have started buldging; and I don't wanna risk it with an Athlon 3000+ in there.

Although goodnews is, it's a binned chip so no active cooling needed, until you push it to the max it'll clock to, which is 220Mhz.
This is kind of a little prototype mod, for future V3 special editions, that do have everything as maxed as possible.

Soldato
Tried to use my CRT as a second screen for my modern pc but cant seem to get it to work. Is there more required than a simple dvi - vga adapter?

Does your DVI adapter (and output) have four dots around the horizontal line part? These four dots do analogue output so if you don't have these I don't think it will work?

Might then need to try more active converting using powered converters

Soldato
Got my self some 3dfx stickers printed, and replaced the ones on my V5 6000. Tomorrow I'll do the same for my V4's, and one V5 ( will keep the second with the AAVID stickers for posterity ).

I7CBbqL.jpg
9gXXyDk.jpg

9kdPniG.jpg

Soldato
Does your DVI adapter (and output) have four dots around the horizontal line part? These four dots do analogue output so if you don't have these I don't think it will work?

Might then need to try more active converting using powered converters

Ah mine doesnt have that. I had to specifically get an adapter without one as the 1080 doesnt have it. Didnt really look into what I was doing! oops.

Soldato
Soldato
Nice little win tonight.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-PC-Games-Mostly-Win-95-and-Joystick-/333785866732?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=QmjgDh9j72pz%2BeecuoGBoCSjtMU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Add another boxed OS to my collection. Albeit a bit battered and missing disk1. Can always replace it with a better one if another steal comes up. I already have 2 versions of DOS in box along with windows 3.1 and XP pro. I dont know why but I enjoy collecting the old MS boxed software.

That's a really good bundle and price. Damn.

Also I have ols boxed software also, XP, ME, 98, and so on as well :p

Soldato
Yea I cant argue at that price. Did not expect to be the only bidder. I expect it was the poor listing title!

Been a bit quiet on the retro front lately. Was hoping to get furloughed but apparently I am essential this time so no free time to tinker with old crap!

Soldato
Yea I cant argue at that price. Did not expect to be the only bidder. I expect it was the poor listing title!

Been a bit quiet on the retro front lately. Was hoping to get furloughed but apparently I am essential this time so no free time to tinker with old crap!

I'm off till the new year, so I've blown a small fortune on finishing my 3dfx collection, and designing and making that V5 5800 boxes.

Been fun, but time is running out. Takes 2 weeks for a print job to arrive to me.
Currently cutting different types of foam for inside the box to hold the GPU.

Seems EFP30 is the closest to what NVIDIA uses.

It's been great fun doing this all.

74hWl2F.jpg

After this, pal and I are working on an AGP 3.3V > PCIe adapter for retro cards.
Although also got a little modded Voodoo3 in the works.

Soldato
Those are really cool. I recognized your post from the 3dfx facebook group :)

Oh nice! Always nice to see folks on different places!

I've spent today marking out, and cutting EFP30 foam. It's as close as I can get to the stuff NVIDIA uses.

My idea at the moment is EFP30 on the bottom, and because it has a glue backing, glue that to a layer of Pick n Pluck foam.

cED1lgp.gif

Pull out the bits we need, slot in 3D Accelerator, and put a 12mm foam layer on top, add in the extra goodies I had made :) ; close up inner box, and slide into the printed one I made.

b1Su5dA.jpg
svcVMvU.jpg

Soldato
Hey @Cyber-Mav you asked about my collection.
Here's all my boxed cards, except for some other duplicates. I have another V5 5500, and V3 3000 PCI not shown.

The Three boxed cards on the bottom are still new sealed ones.

Bottom unboxed ones are:

Voodoo5 6000

Velocity 100

Voodoo3 1000 OEM

Voodoo3 3000 Modded with 200Mhz processor

bbPHPpE.jpg
H9ARHY2.jpg
cU8Yyqw.jpg

Jw0gSso.jpg
07ZHDPk.jpg
3OWZGwp.jpg
2XIG6fD.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
man thats crazy, where do you go on from here? a matrox collection?

I'm actually not done with the 3dfx one yet. :p

I still need the Velocity 100 box, and the Macintosh ones. V4 4500, V5 5500 USA, and V5 5500 EU for Mac.

Once I have them all, I'll move on to Quantum3D. Already have a seller for a fully working Quantum3D Aalchemy rack. Just my collection budget for the year is done; and I've still been working on my Big Box games collection. Especially the earlier ones that still have the 3dfx logo on for GLIDE.

Back
Top Bottom