Next gen console issues / troubleshooting thread

Soldato

It's apparent that none of the TVs currently on the market are able to support all features of the new consoles.

LG OLEDs come the closest to full support, but the VRR issue could be a long-term problem.

Soldato
Whats the point in having standards such as HDMI 2.1 and then them not fully supporting another device with HDMI 2.1.

I'll probably get a PS5 mid 2021 a TV for it hopefully end of 2021.

Man of Honour
Whats the point in having standards such as HDMI 2.1 and then them not fully supporting another device with HDMI 2.1.

I'll probably get a PS5 mid 2021 a TV for it hopefully end of 2021.

It happens with all standards, at the beginning people follow the draft standards and get caught short when there is the full release.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the only crappy footage of the LG VRR issue I can find.

https://imgur.com/a/Rw2mmHS

But then again a lot of owners don't see it, anecdotally. Must only be noticeable in dark settings with the right content. Real shame as they're getting real affordable around Black Friday!

EDIT: here's a better one.

OK that would be unusable, what a shame.

I definitely do not see anything like that on my 55CX.

Soldato
I definitely do not see anything like that on my 55CX.
Are you displaying content that's not 60 or 120hz though? Ie fluctuating in between? It's a hardware failure, it cannot be fixed and is an inherent flaw of the current panel driving electronics.

It's essentially the difference between G-Sync & G-Sync Compatible. There's no extra circuitry to adjust the pixel overdrive (lcd) or pulse (oled) for the next frame, so it can easily get in a mess.

Soldato
Head in sand in a lot of cases but I'd assume it's more likely not understanding when the issue rears it's ugly head. Nobody wants to think their £1000+ purchase has a flaw like that, it's understandable.

Soldato
I’m not getting any VRR issues at all on my 65” C9 and series X. Tried it on and off and see no lightening or anything any different.

I cannot get Assassins creed Valhalla to not crash during the opening movie though.

Edit - Fixed Assassins creed by turning it off then again....lol

Last edited:
Caporegime
The dpad on my series s controller seems really "clicky" compared to the other buttons. Not loud per se, but definitely louder than all the other face buttons and triggers.

Might be the new style dpad, hard to say.

rp2000

Soldato
I'll check my Sony 55XH9005 (X900H in FOMO's video) at 120hz in Ori & Dirt 5 later to see if what he said is true for Series X, or if it's just a PC problem not sticking to 120hz.

It's as expected in the settings VRR & ALLM are disabled (Sony already said they were coming in a future update), Dolby Vision is only active if the HDMI is set to Dolby Vision (60hz), not 120hz mode (as expected).

EDIT: Ori hasn't got a 4k120 mode yet from what I can see. No problem with Dirt 5 high refresh rate mode, from what I've read its 1440p120 or something though. I'll test it when Ori or some other game gets 4k120 mode.

Last edited:
Soldato
LG B9 not playing nice. Just installed latest 5.00.02 firmware

When in 4k 120hz mode in settings and boot up Gears 5, when it switches to HDR mode screen goes black, no signal. All round seems really buggy.

Also does the same when doing HDR calibration in settings. Using HDMI 1

how are fellow LG oled owners getting on?

Soldato
LG B9 not playing nice. Just installed latest 5.00.02 firmware

When in 4k 120hz mode in settings and boot up Gears 5, when it switches to HDR mode screen goes black, no signal. All round seems really buggy.

Also does the same when doing HDR calibration in settings. Using HDMI 1

how are fellow LG oled owners getting on?

Just fired up Gears 5 and it flicks black then HDR logo and all ok. Mine is a C9 using HDMI 4 but doubt makes much difference.. ?

I have noticed when 120Hz is selected I’m getting a bit of coil whine from the tv.....

Last edited:
Soldato
Head in sand in a lot of cases but I'd assume it's more likely not understanding when the issue rears it's ugly head. Nobody wants to think their £1000+ purchase has a flaw like that, it's understandable.

I can only go by what I can see. I've been playing with VRR on since I got the TV and I'm not seeing any flickering, or washed out blacks. Definitely nothing like that video.

If I did, they'd be getting it sent back, I've no interest in defending LG.

Back
Top Bottom