• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from a GTX 1070 to what?

Associate
I was going to keep my current gfx card but feel it may be a bottleneck in my system. Can I get a reasonable upgrade from a GTX1070 (nonTI) for less than £500…?

Current system
Ryzen 5 5600X (when it turns up)
MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk
32GB of Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz
750w Super Flower

I currently game at 1920 x 1200 on a HP 24" but will be upgrading the monitor to a 27" early next year.

Soldato
I was going to keep my current gfx card but feel it may be a bottleneck in my system. Can I get a reasonable upgrade from a GTX1070 (nonTI) for less than £500…?

Current system
Ryzen 5 5600X (when it turns up)
MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk
32GB of Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz
750w Super Flower

I currently game at 1920 x 1200 on a HP 24" but will be upgrading the monitor to a 27" early next year.

Considering how hard the 3xxx series are to get at the moment why dont you wait and find out how well your 1070 performs. You might be surprised and find its fine or that it will suffice until the GPU stocks settle down. Although judging by the Xbox launch today nothing this year is going to be in stock for very long.

Soldato
Founders Edition RTX 3070 for £469

Do they even exist?
I've done the same and I'm very happy with mine too. You'll have to be patient to find an FE though if you want to stay within budget. I was impatient and spent £519 on a Palit Gaming Pro.

I had one of those in a basket recently and talked myself out of it. Also coming from a 1070 so its overdue really ! How is it in the flesh? I wasn't sure about the cooler design.

Associate
OP
Ok, since opening this thread and prematurely commuting to a graphics card upgrade. I have told my nephew he can have my 1070 along with my old i5 setup for £300 and an additional £50 for my old HP 24" monitor being a Christmas gift for his step son. So I need a replacement card before Christmas. With the 350 from the old build, I'll purchase a new 27" monitor.

I have been out of the loop so wasn't aware of the stock situation with the 3 series graphics cards.

Soldato
I had one of those in a basket recently and talked myself out of it. Also coming from a 1070 so its overdue really ! How is it in the flesh? I wasn't sure about the cooler design.

It’s great basically.

The card looks fine in the case (the RGB effect is nasty but you can turn it off) but it’s absolutely huge. The cooler works really well. Almost inaudible on the standard clocks. You get a low woosh under full load with the power limit turned up. I’ve not touched the core clock but the memory has taken plus 900 with no stability issues.

Performance is a different league to the 1070. I suppose that should be no surprise as it’s equivalent to a 2080Ti. I’m currently revisiting Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I game at 1080p and I’m getting around 100fps consistently with everything on full including the ray traced shadows.

Soldato
It’s great basically.

The card looks fine in the case (the RGB effect is nasty but you can turn it off) but it’s absolutely huge. The cooler works really well. Almost inaudible on the standard clocks. You get a low woosh under full load with the power limit turned up. I’ve not touched the core clock but the memory has taken plus 900 with no stability issues.

Performance is a different league to the 1070. I suppose that should be no surprise as it’s equivalent to a 2080Ti. I’m currently revisiting Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I game at 1080p and I’m getting around 100fps consistently with everything on full including the ray traced shadows.

Good stuff, thanks. I'll keep a look out for more stock then. I'm looking forward to revisiting some games too. Namely Red dead redemption 2 and Farcry 5, which the 1070 wasn't really the best for. Oh and of course... Cyberpunk 2077 is just around the corner.

Back
Top Bottom