• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Has anyone on here got the S? And if so, any first impressions?

I posted a mini review in this thread, as of right now I am using it to play 360 BC games, it does the job admirably. Lost oddysey had massive performance issues on the 360 and was very low resolution due to the ground breaking graphics for its time.

Soldato
Tried installing a game via gamepass on the MS store and it listed 2 xbox consoles. I only have 1.

So I have been into my Microsoft account and removed old consoles - 3 in total. Only left the series x and registered serial for warranty info.

Anyway, went back to the store and tried installing a gamepass title and it pops up and says I dont have any compatible devices.....

Anyone else having this?

Try removing your account from the xbox, do a full shutdown (in power options menu) and then log back in.

That fixed some gamepass issues for me earlier in the year.

Edit: I might have removed it as my home xbox as well, cant remember.

Soldato
Impressed with Forza Horizon 4 on the Series X, I tried it on my One S a while back but just didn't feel good to control but now it's just so smooth and responsive.

First thing I noticed was the smoothness of it all! But then as it's winter, the glistening snow and higher settings soon became apparent. Looks very, very good.

Soldato
A little update, it seems the instant on is flaky, at least on my S.

I turned it on via controller, got the sound, icon lights up, no display output.
Toggle it off/on again with power switch no dice.
Held the button down to force proper shutdown, then it booted up normally with display output.

Associate
A little update, it seems the instant on is flaky, at least on my S.

I turned it on via controller, got the sound, icon lights up, no display output.
Toggle it off/on again with power switch no dice.
Held the button down to force proper shutdown, then it booted up normally with display output.

That is what happens when you buy the B&M version.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Its not a 4k machine. So why would it. There are still improvements made to the games that are patched. Also even though that aren't will have features like, better resolutions and higher frame rates.

Plenty of old BC games that had resolution patches that would work fine on the S. Orange Box for example, Series S could easily run the 4k version.

Soldato
This is such a bizarre argument to pose.

The enhancements in many One X enhanced titles go way beyond a higher rendering resolution. Take The Witcher 2 as an example. DF took an in-depth look at the extensive enhancements that game received. Series S misses out on all of it, and instead gets the plain old 360 version with AutoHDR, rendered at 2560x1344. While that's understandable due to hardware constraints, it's hardly unreasonable to be somewhat disappointed

I expect that isnt in many 360 games, media outlets like DF are good at picking up outliers, making a big fuss about it when can lead to people thinking its a bigger thing than it is, I would be very surprised if this type of work was done in more than a few 360 BC titles.

Soldato
My Series X eventually showed up today. Been playing some simpler games while waiting for the biggies to install. Particularly like that HDR has been implemented on Demon's Tilt and Geometry Wars 2 and 3. If you like computer pinball games at all, I recommend Demon's Tilt, its on Gamepass. Can't say I noticed a huge difference between the Series X and the XBox One X version of Forza H4.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is such a bizarre argument to pose.

The enhancements in many One X enhanced titles go way beyond a higher rendering resolution. Take The Witcher 2 as an example. DF took an in-depth look at the extensive enhancements that game received. Series S misses out on all of it, and instead gets the plain old 360 version with AutoHDR, rendered at 2560x1344. While that's understandable due to hardware constraints, it's hardly unreasonable to be somewhat disappointed

Yeah the lack of One X enhancements is quite striking, games that I played on the One X like A Plagues Tale look awful on the Series S. Clearly it has the power as the enhanced titles like FH4 and Gears 5 look very similar so hopefully developers will update their games to make use of it. I know the Series X is the logical upgrade for One X users but as someone who only has a 1080p tv its a shame the Series S has been hampered in this way. Even at £250 it should be able to match a last gen console released 3 years ago.

Has anyone else noticed weird graphical glitches, mainly with reflections / lighting? In both FH4 and Gear 5 I've noticed kinda white dots covering reflections, at first I just thought it was supposed to be glistening snow in FH4 but then I noticed it in Gears as well. Its odd, anti-aliasing seems a bit off on lighting effects as well.

Overall I like the new controller and the Series S really is very small while still being very quiet but I think having owned a One X for a few weeks before deciding to return it and get this has taken the shine off it. That and the fact we haven't got any big launch titles to play.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom