Solar lights for front garden

Soldato
Hi all

I was cleaning the front garden this afternoon and as it got darker I thought to myself, 'the front could do with so sprucing up' I'm thinking solar powered lights so I don't need to wire anything up :p

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent ones

Cheers

Soldato
It would be interesting to hear if, these days, solar lights can be genuinely decent. Back when I was looking at them a few years back, they were universally terrible.

Soldato
We got a load at the start of lock down for £3 each from Asda, during the summer they were great still running at 5 or 6 in the morning but at the moment they've gone off by 8. Obviously they haven't got in at the moment but you don't need to spend a fortune on them.

Soldato
We have bought loads over the years, the missus likes the back garden to like some
Kind of cheap light show. We hAve had them ranging from £2/3 to £30, they never last very long, prob get a summer out of the more expensive ones.

Soldato
I got some of the bollard type solar lighting from Home Bargains a while back £3.99 each with a ribbed bollard design. Sturdy enough to be planted into my border next to my box hedge. Usually I've found solar lights to be good for two or three years max before the elements take its toll on the light / solar panel. Did have a pack of six spike solar lights for £24.99 from a local hardware store. As above only lasted two to three years so opted to buy cheap ones as they did the same job.

Soldato
Don't expect them to last longer than one winter.
I've not found any that are genuinely water resistant and hardened to the elements.

Best to buy now in the sales, but save putting them outside till the spring.

Soldato
As above, they never last. So buy cheap and expect to replace.
I bought the electronic components once and started repairing or making new boards, which I don't really think was cheaper, just something to do lol.

Associate
If its security solar lights you are after. The brand mpow are meant to do really good ones. I did some research before I bought my father some last year and says they are still working great.

Soldato
Don't expect them to last longer than one winter.
I've not found any that are genuinely water resistant and hardened to the elements.

Best to buy now in the sales, but save putting them outside till the spring.
I've had some Mpow ones off Amazon for over 5 years now still going strong.

Man of Honour
Another vote for the Mpow ones. Although as others have said they won't be bright during the winter due to cloudier days and it being dark earlier so they're on earlier in the evening. During the spring/summer they are great though.

Soldato
Another vote for mpow.

As above, i rarely get full night coverage during the winter. It's dark by 5pm until about 7:30am now.

My mpow ones are set to always on dim, and motion sets to max brightness.

My other unbranded ones are set to always off, and motion sets to max brightness - these last all night as they'll only get activated a few times during the night.

Man of Honour
Worth mentioning on the ones I've had over the years you can usually replace the low capacity AA battery inside with higher capacity, i.e. normal rechargable ones.

Back
Top Bottom