SSD not recognised as bootable device

Associate
Hi guys,

I installed a NVME SSD in my PC and installed windows on it for my dad to use until I got his PC built. Now that his PC is built, I’ve swapped the SSD into his PC and it’s not recognised as a bootable device.

I’ve since found out that leaving my SSD installed when I installed windows on my dad’s SSD has meant that no recovery partition was created on that drive.
Is there a way to recreate this recovery partition or set to drive up to be bootable in his PC?
The drive is known to the BIOS but it’s not recognised as a bootable option.

Cheers

Soldato
Easiest option is to download Windows 10 update assistant, create a bootable USB and then use it to install a new up to date copy of Windows 10 onto the SSD in your Dad's PC. That way it will create a fully bootable SSD. Just make sure the BIOS is set to UEFI as it needs that to boot to a NVME drive.

Associate
OP
Do you mean to reinstall windows? Ideally I’d like to do that but I want to avoid it as he’s been using the PC and he wants to just continue where he left off

Associate
Best and easiest way is new install.
Disconnect any hard drives so all bootable files created on one ssd. Thus avoid this issue in a future

Permabanned
So did you use a clone software to copy his original system.?
As you said about keeping it as it was.

If you did, did you delete his old hard drive image. Maybe reinstall that and use a clone software from that onto his new drive, using his PC. Hopefully it’ll install the right drivers etc.

Back
Top Bottom