Cycling Documentaries

Associate
I just watched it, nothing at all shocking about the ending.

You on about a different film?

Ah you know what it is, I looked up Mike Hall on Wikipedia straight after watching it as he is so impressive. I got confused thinking there’s a tribute/obituary to him at the end of the film. I was just quite shocked to see he’d died a couple of years after this film, during another huge bike race :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah you know what it is, I looked up Mike Hall on Wikipedia straight after watching it as he is so impressive. I got confused thinking there’s a tribute/obituary to him at the end of the film. I was just quite shocked to see he’d died a couple of years after this film, during another huge bike race :(

Didn't know that. :(

He got hit by a car FFS.

And by a speeding teenager at the wheel by the looks of it, who got away with it.

What a waste of life.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09...-police-botched-investigation-claims/12697972

Soldato
Didn't know that. :(

He got hit by a car FFS.

And by a speeding teenager at the wheel by the looks of it, who got away with it.

What a waste of life.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09...-police-botched-investigation-claims/12697972

Yeah it was in the Pacific Wheel race, I was tracking his progress in race that year. I was almost certain that at the end of the show, there was a tribute to a woman cycling around the world after she had battled with cancer and close to the end of her ride she was killed being hit by a driver, the story brought a tear to my eye

Associate
Yeah it was in the Pacific Wheel race, I was tracking his progress in race that year. I was almost certain that at the end of the show, there was a tribute to a woman cycling around the world after she had battled with cancer and close to the end of her ride she was killed being hit by a driver, the story brought a tear to my eye

That was it! That’s what I remembered from it watching it. And then I looked up Mike Hall and saw he had died too, again a hit and run. Just awful :(

Soldato

I wondered if that was what MSTRBKR was referencing, but that tribute happened quite early on in the film, not even in the middle and nowhere near the end.

Both utterly tragic cases, and as a cyclist, one of my greatest fears when out riding is getting hit by an inattentive car driver.

Associate
I wondered if that was what MSTRBKR was referencing, but that tribute happened quite early on in the film, not even in the middle and nowhere near the end.

Both utterly tragic cases, and as a cyclist, one of my greatest fears when out riding is getting hit by an inattentive car driver.

Sorry yeah, I watched it a while ago so my memory got mixed up. All I knew was the film is excellent but these two events shocked me. I mean like mouth-open-wide kind of shock. To see that lady talking about her cycling trip of a lifetime, the kind we all dream of, and then to see she was killed doing it. Life just isn't fair is it.

Soldato
OP
Copied from another thread -

Time Trial (iPlayer) - 6/10

A documentary about David Millar, the cyclist. A little odd as clearly they're trying to be 'arty'. There's no narrator for example so I don't feel like I learnt much about David Millar himself and there are sometimes quite long shots of... odd things. I liked how 'real' it did make it feel though.

the blurry POV camera just made me motion sick

I forgot you said this, but yes, the bit where someone (Millar?) was cycling up that last bit of a stage, through the crowd, I had to look away as I felt sick after a while.

Soldato
I'm currently working my way through several things on Prime (some already mentioned here) and on "Eat. Race. Win." and quite enjoying it. Not too much cycling, but a good insight into some of the behind the scenes stuff, obviously focussed on food.

The EF Gone Riding short films Rapha has produced are a good watch too.
They're good, but got a bit 'meh' after a while once they went the audax/gravel route, if they're the same ones?

There's a similar bunch of QSF ones, quite a good one about Alaphilipe if I recall and a couple of good 'wolfpack' ones but then also several which are obvious marketing ones and pretty short on actual content.

Not a documentary but the Flying Scotsman is a film about Graham Obree.
Any idea if it's online/streamable?

I need to watch that. Mike Hall has been a bit of an interest/inspiration of mine since I started (met him a long time ago and didn't know who he was!). I've got this on order but not holding out much luck as it's been months.

"London - Edinburgh - London" is currently free on Prime. Really good if you like audax/endurance stuff, basically follows about half a dozen people during the event chatting with them at checkpoints.
Watched that a couple of nights ago. Quite good and impartial but I think they did focus a little too much on those riders who it was a real challenge for and they thought where not going to make it?! That lad from Manchester on the single speed. Wow. What a ride considering - although they didn't even mention the fact it was single speed! Would've been good to see their actual times and maybe would've been better to also cover a couple of experienced audaxers to see the difference between them and those they actually covered.

Hope you're well and good to see you still dropping into the cycling forum! Still waiting to read about your visit to Pitcairn! ;) :)

Soldato
Gcn+ are releasing a load of documentaries soon.

Theyre also doing a year for 20quid again, worth it for the uninterrupted coverage year round.

Associate
Gcn+ are releasing a load of documentaries soon.

Theyre also doing a year for 20quid again, worth it for the uninterrupted coverage year round.

Hopefully if you're watching on the app without ads it also mutes the commentators when they urge you to buy the pass after each ad-break on Eurosport! If so, it's worth it just for that!

Soldato
Good shout, just through the app again? Need to jump on it before the classics start and the prices go back up...

Would be good to see them do more of the documentary stuff with some of the sources they have. Really enjoy the content they've done with Beaumont, maybe not the 'challenge' stuff quite so much, but it's good to compare what guys like he can do against the ex-pro/really good enthusiast type rider.

They really missed a trick with Pooley, it was obvious she wasn't going to be around that much/long as she didn't really retire. Would've been good to get her doing some content around all the amazing stuff she's done and is still even now still doing! Doesn't she hold the Womens Everesting record?!

Back
Top Bottom