New to 3D printing and trying to get my very first 3D printer

Associate
Looked it up online and seems Creality's Ender3 serie has the most reviews and good feedbacks....

Not sure what is the best solution to get it, also need recommendation which one to get.

This one seems like their official store https://www.creality3dofficial.com/coll ... der-series , have sales going on some particular models, and most of them are UK stock free shipping, few can be shipping from Czech, I think?

Do I buy directly from them so get better customer service, or should I shop around on Amazon?

Pet Northerner
Don
Get the ender3 to learn then upgrade it is you think 3d printing is for you.

Where you get it from didn't really matter but Amazon would probably make returns easier.

Support will come from Facebook groups for the printer you've bought

Associate
OP
Get the ender3 to learn then upgrade it is you think 3d printing is for you.

Where you get it from didn't really matter but Amazon would probably make returns easier.

Support will come from Facebook groups for the printer you've bought

Thanks, is it Ender 3 too old? I thought maybe a more recent model would print better?

Soldato
Thanks, is it Ender 3 too old? I thought maybe a more recent model would print better?

I got back in to 3D printing with a Creality CR-6 SE from tomtop.(A member here helped me out big time)

Pick ship from germany, then use the the Honey plugin for chrome to bring the price down.

I wouldn't get a 3d printer with out auto bed level.

Last edited:
Associate

While the Ender 3 is an older printer, it's had a lot of developments and more importantly community mods and support. It's still a very capable printer and given the safe issues of the CR6-SE it's what I would recommend.

Associate
I got back in to 3D printing with a Creality CR-6 SE from tomtop.(A member here helped me out big time)

Pick ship from germany, then use the the Honey plugin for chrome to bring the price down.

I wouldn't get a 3d printer with out auto bed level.

Unfortunately the CR6-SE is a rushed mistake on Crealitys part, bad wiring, fire issues and it's actually not meant to be sold in the EU with the current PSU because it's not certified under some standard I don't recall right now. (EDIT - Due to frequency harmonics regulation violation)

It's actually not offering anything that hasn't been used before and probably not used again for good reasons.

But that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately the CR6-SE is a rushed mistake on Crealitys part, bad wiring, fire issues and it's actually not meant to be sold in the EU with the current PSU because it's not certified under some standard I don't recall right now. (EDIT - Due to frequency harmonics regulation violation)

It's actually not offering anything that hasn't been used before and probably not used again for good reasons.

But that's my opinion.

I see people from the kickstater had problems.
But no one who bought it from a shop have had problems.

I bypassed the switch, just in case. But so far so good.

I have never seen there ABL on any other printer.
Never had a bad print.

Associate
I see people from the kickstater had problems.
But no one who bought it from a shop have had problems.

I bypassed the switch, just in case. But so far so good.

I have never seen there ABL on any other printer.
Never had a bad print.

The cause of the problems are down to their decision to drop the 24v from the PSU down to 12v for the stepper motors even through stepper motors work better at 24v.

They also like tinning the end of wires and then putting them in screw terminals which is bad practice.

The idea of strain gauge leveling has been about for years, I believe mostly on delta printers. I'm not saying it's bad idea but it's nothing new.

Soldato
The cause of the problems are down to their decision to drop the 24v from the PSU down to 12v for the stepper motors even through stepper motors work better at 24v.

They also like tinning the end of wires and then putting them in screw terminals which is bad practice.

The idea of strain gauge leveling has been about for years, I believe mostly on delta printers. I'm not saying it's bad idea but it's nothing new.

Mine is a 24v 350w Meanwell power supply.

I always tin any wires before fitting them.
Tinning wires holds them together.

I've built my own LifePO4 200Amp X 8 battery pack with balance wires for my PL8 V2.
And I tinned every wire.

Associate
Mine is a 24v 350w Meanwell power supply.

I always tin any wires before fitting them.
Tinning wires holds them together.

I've built my own LifePO4 200Amp X 8 battery pack with balance wires for my PL8 V2.
And I tinned every wire.

MeanWell LRS-350-24? That's the one I'm talking about.

You tin wires before putting them is screw terminals? OK well you do you and hopefully you'll not burn your house down.

But to get back to the OP's question, Ender 3 all day long. Upgrade the firmware because Creality and firmware don't mix well and you'll be golden. On such a small bed you don't need ABL (Auto Bed Leveling), because they are so cheap learn about it and then later you can upgrade it in many ways to make it even better.

Soldato
MeanWell LRS-350-24? That's the one I'm talking about.

You tin wires before putting them is screw terminals? OK well you do you and hopefully you'll not burn your house down.

Power supply running ok here.
If you put a bear wire in a screw terminal, the screw as it comes down can tear the wires or flatten them so they break.

No problems in 50 years of doing it :)

CR-6 CE
Automatic Bed leveling
Touch screen controls
Bed design that does not require adjustment
Larger print volume
glass bed\magnetic bed upgrade
new bed retainers (no more bulldog clips!!!)
Wider Y axis
Synced dual Z steppers
32bit board
silent fans
Modular print head
Uses SDcards not MicroSD

Associate
Got a Creality CR-10 and it prints better than or Stratasys F370 at work in my opinion. Reasonably old now so not got auto bed leveling but if you aren't moving it about its not a problem. I only level if i've changed something that will effect it like a nozzle. Leveling every print is just overkill. I would get another Creality though without a second thought.

Associate
I was already thinking the Ender 3 v2 from the limited research I've done and this seems to support this.

Does that seem like a reasonable choice or is there something else out there I may not yet have come across?

I might have info of another Kickstarter printer, if your interested? bigger build volume, touch screen, TMC drivers, branded PSU and quad strain gauge bed leveling. I have one on the way to look at/review/feedback on, currently available for around £285 inc delivery. http://kck.st/3mofnkE

The Ender series are solid choices when it comes to budget printers, but don't expect support from them they see it as a cheap printer and your on your own. Having said that the community is massive and support via facebook/twitter/Thingiverse is out there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom