BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
We have recently moved house, moving our BT FTTC package with us, but having passed the activation date we still have no broadband, and the only real info I've been given is someone will phone me at the end of this month. They've sent a 4g mini hub, but the 4g signal isn't great so it looks like we are without broadband for a while yet. :(

BT said it's an issue with the supplier (I assume that's Open Reach they are referring to) and their ability to connect us to the cabinet.

Probably the cabinet is full.

Soldato
Probably the cabinet is full.

Do you know what happens in that instance? We diverted the yesterday's evening walk to find the cabinet, and it's an old one on side of the road, and a new looking FTTC cabinet on the other side.

Our activation date on the order has now moved to today, but I'm not getting my hopes up!

V F

V F

Soldato
If the cabinet is full you are basically SOL until someone terminates their connection or they upgrade it, the latter can take some time.

Imagine an engineer accidentally disconnecting your line and someone gets put in your place leaving you with no line. I once ended up with a phone number from another town, how I'll never know nor did some of the engineers that visited the house. As the phone number was dead.

Soldato
Is that on Wifi? It could be congestion, try a wired test. If you have, there's a fault and should be booked out.
Chanel noise is quite low and I get 20-25mb max on a wired connection on a weekend, I’m sick of reporting faults only for an engineer to come out and say your above your max speed so tough basically

Soldato
I'd expect you to be getting speeds there or there abouts with those shown in the 'observed speeds' section though it's worth noting that it's max rates and those aren't always sustainable but the disparity between the max speeds and your speed test are too high. What sync rates does your router report?

I know you've done it before, but can you do a speed test when connected with an ethernet cable and post the results.

Lowering sync rates is something that happens with VDSL and isn't necessarily indicative of a fault - as the cabinet fills up and crosstalk increases it's normal that sync reate decreases.

Soldato
I'd expect you to be getting speeds there or there abouts with those shown in the 'observed speeds' section though it's worth noting that it's max rates and those aren't always sustainable but the disparity between the max speeds and your speed test are too high. What sync rates does your router report?

I know you've done it before, but can you do a speed test when connected with an ethernet cable and post the results.

Lowering sync rates is something that happens with VDSL and isn't necessarily indicative of a fault - as the cabinet fills up and crosstalk increases it's normal that sync reate decreases.
TBH I’m done with BT until they roll out FTTP in my area(which will be years) I got a good deal with virgin so am switching at the start of dec, BT are releasing me from my contract without charge

V F

V F

Soldato
Chanel noise is quite low and I get 20-25mb max on a wired connection on a weekend, I’m sick of reporting faults only for an engineer to come out and say your above your max speed so tough basically

That's funny, not on your aspect. The fact it hasn't changed a damn thing since I can remember being with BT back in 2006/07.

You're above your maximum speed or they say speedtest.net isn't reliable for speedtests. Yet you or I can get the same speedtest results from many sites but BT act like their speedtest gives you true speed results trying to fob off people.

Associate
Hi all,

I've got FTTP in my newbuild but coming to the end of my contract and tbh have been massively overpaying by the looks of it (£60.76 a month for FIBRE 250 WITH HALO 1)

The renewal deals I'm getting are;
FULL FIBRE 900 HALO 1 - £67.76 PM (vs Full Fibre 900 new customer offer at £54.99 was 59.99)
FULL FIBRE 300 WITH HALO 2 - £60.76 a month (vs Full Fibre 300 new customer offer at £44.99 was 49.99)
And then various combos of the above with the wifi extenders which I don't need as newbuild house walls are ornamental at best :)

Sadly I can't go to another provider as my cabinet is full and there's a large waiting list that I understand I would move to the back of if I did disconnect my existing line.

Anyone got any tips on how to get a better deal? Not sure if I can argue it's much cheaper at talk-talk when they don't have any cabinet space? Otherwise my plan was to try and use live chat to get them to match the new customer price (although if I was a new customer I'd get an extra £100 from quidco etc)

Back
Top Bottom