BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Not bad, I had a call with BT and I guess I'm going back to 900mbps again.

They agreed the £52.99 a month, 3 months free (black friday price).

But they also said they won't hold me to 24 month contract.

This is due to them messing up my regrade previously and removing Halo 1 without my authorisation. They say they can't put me back on what I had before.

Best Sky seem to do is 150 atm I think. Maybe in like a years time there will be some better options :)

Last edited:
Associate
I like to order FTTP this week. BT and Sky are offering similar prices but which is better in terms of reliability and stable connection?

BT 150Mb: £39.99
Sky 145Mb: £35.00

Soldato
BT/TT/PN/Sky are all pretty similar when it comes to their own network infrastructure in that they are fine. 99% of the internet horror stories are all to do with the line and the provider has zero impact on that, only Openreach.

V F

V F

Soldato
BT/TT/PN/Sky are all pretty similar when it comes to their own network infrastructure in that they are fine. 99% of the internet horror stories are all to do with the line and the provider has zero impact on that, only Openreach.

When you get a good Openreach team, they're absolutely fantastic but sadly most of them are garbage trying or supposedly trying to fix your line. The good guys that really know what they're doing unless it's a seriously major fault, I've seen them sort it within 30 - 45 minutes.

The others can go beyond the 2 hour slot and you know they don't have a clue with the technology.

The worst scenario when they had to bring in the experienced guys, a whole section of a line was busted to a few towns. So they had to dig up the roads and lay new lines down. It took them about 4 hours which was to be expected. No faffing about.

smr

smr

Soldato
My BT contract is ending on the 23rd. It's imperative I keep my phone number and I have been happy with the Broadband speed and reliability. Not one drop out since I've been with BT over the past few years.

However I don't think much to their customer loyalty. For some reason I am paying £38 a month for Fibre 2, when for new contracts it's £26.99 a month, and they've even said if I renew my new contract price will still be £38 p/m. That's just ridiculous!

Soldato
My BT contract is ending on the 23rd. It's imperative I keep my phone number and I have been happy with the Broadband speed and reliability. Not one drop out since I've been with BT over the past few years.

However I don't think much to their customer loyalty. For some reason I am paying £38 a month for Fibre 2, when for new contracts it's £26.99 a month, and they've even said if I renew my new contract price will still be £38 p/m. That's just ridiculous!

They should honour their pricing here mate: https://www.bt.com/broadband/deals

Just call them and ask to speak to their values team, say you've seen their BF offers and want to contract on one of those. Put your postcode into that address and see what you can get on yours. Full Fibre 100 at £32.99 a month is decent if you can get, both cheaper and a speed boost, also FTTP rather than FTTC.

3 Months free as well. I manged to get the Fibre 900 deal despite being an existing customer, including the 3 months free.

You should see prices as per:

6vyp9w5.png

smr

smr

Soldato
Thanks for that ^ Just spoke to them though, I've just moved into my brand new house so we're on the brand new phone network where I can get 900mbs but tbf I am very happy with the speed that I am getting which is around 70mb, I really don't need anymore speed.

I had been paying over the odds though, somehow I ended up on Fibre 2 (for no additional cost apparantly) after I joined BT Fibre, at the time I joined it was either low or high Fibre, now there are loads of options.

Anyway I've had a speed increase from 36mbs at my old house to 70mb at my new house which is good enough for me and they've lowered the price to £23.99 p/m after I mentioned Sky's superfast price of £25 p/m.

I've also come off the unlimited anytime call package I was on, which I also knew I was paying too much for, and am on the 700 minute plan which is cheaper and tailored for the amount of phone calls I make per month. So £32 per month for everything. A lot cheaper than the £50-60 I have been paying.

Soldato
Yeah fair enough, I think their normal fibre pricing isn't great when the basic FTTP package is about the same price at double the speed again, so in your shoes if you don't need more speed, then £23.99 for 70 is fine I reckon.

I am using BT for my Mobile as well, which piggybacks off the EE network. Getting SIMO for under £10 with reasonable data, so you should check that out if you ever want a SIMO deal, get £5 off per month as a BT broadband customer.

Soldato
Do Zen do Black Friday offers?

Don't forget that BT increase their prices annually each March, CPI plus 3.9%

Its still normal for most providers to increase prices annually with inflation. What I like about BT is if you have a problem and they are useless (sadly that’s quite often), it’s relatively easy to extract a reasonable financial settlement above and beyond the voluntary OFCOM scheme that it and a few others subscribe to. Then again I’d rather just have a properly working service run by people who don’t screw up and lie about it.

Associate
Looking at Vodafone I would appear to be able to get Gigafast 500 for effectively £30 / month (24 months at £40 with 6 months free).

Negative is that Vodafone are not part of the OFCOM scheme.

Any thoughts on Vodafone as a provider vs Sky?

Soldato
Not being part of the automatic compensation scheme is a minor point - it just means you have to push for compensation if you feel it’s required, just like many, many other ISP’s. Vodafone aren’t the best, but in terms of value it’s hard to argue with.

Last edited:
Soldato
BT are obviously mocking me.
Their black Friday 'deals' are worse than the deals offered last week, and bizzarely, one deal allows me the same as I have currently for fibre, but costs14.96 more than i am currently paying.
Utterly odd.

Back
Top Bottom