LG OLED - buy now or wait?

Soldato
Morning all :)

A few questions about LG OLED TVs if i may. I will hopefully soon find myself the owner of a new PS5, and so with that I feel the need to invest in a new TV.

I currently own a Phillips 43PUS 6703 (review here). I bought it a couple of years ago after my old 1080P set failed, it has served me well given I wasn't in a position then to spend much more than £400 on a new set.

Questions:

To what degree will the Phillips set hold back the next gen consoles? Will I be missing out? Would a new set make much difference to current gen consoles (PS4 Pro / Xbox One X)?
Are the LG CX OLEDs the best choice right now? Would it be worth waiting until the new year when there will be new models? I'd be after a 48" set given the space i've got.

Thank you :)

Soldato
If you don't own or have not used a high refresh rate monitor/tv (100htz or more) then you probably won't require a hdmi 2.1 4k tv so stay as you are.
After you see 100htz/144htz (after using a high refresh rate monitor or tv) then you definitely need the new LG range or similar spec tv as to many it's highly noticeable.
I went years without using high refresh rate monitors (untill early 2019) and now I'm now having to replacing my entire range or monitors and TVs with high refresh units and oled screens where possible or practical.
Extremely costly but when you use a pc say on desktop use (as an example) @100/120/144htz or more going back to 60/75 htz it'll feel like the whole display is laggy and stuttery mess. Games definitely feel way superior when it's over 120htz and you have freesync/gsync on the go
Tread carefully.

Last edited:
Associate
Eh?

Technically Panasonic lead the way in terms of pure display quality. LG have the best 'future proofing', but that's it. Even then this tech doesn't seem to work very well at the minute.

In summary - LG are far from being the best OLEDs. Middle of the road at best. All they offer is 2.1 and 77" displays.

Soldato
The LG CX is a great pairing for the new consoles, and OLED in general just looks brilliant compared to other tech. I've not seen any evidence of the supposed issues with VRR, so take those saying it doesn't work with a pinch of salt.

Also, 120hz is nice but it isn't going to make you suddenly go out and HAVE to upgrade every display in your house :rolleyes:

Associate
LG OLEDs are great for TV watching not yet convinced on it being the most suitable for gaming, I find when I switch between my Samsung and LG the drop in brightness in gaming for HDR etc makes games look far less impressive, OLED can't go bright enough over a large portion of screen. My Samsung isn't even a high end LCD.

Soldato
Now is the time to buy if you want a great price. If you wait for the new 2021 TV's then they will pay full price until the reductions start around August time.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. With news that my PS5 will be delivered tomorrow my desire to upgrade has increased substantially as I'm keen to make the most of it :D

My two other questions - are there like to be any substantial changes with the new range of OLEDs in the New Year that would be worth holding on for?

Where should I be buying from? John Lewis / Richer Sounds? This will be a substantial purchase for me that I'll want to last, ideally at least 5 years. With that in mind who offers the best warranty / customer service?

Thank you :)

Soldato
Eh?

Technically Panasonic lead the way in terms of pure display quality. LG have the best 'future proofing', but that's it. Even then this tech doesn't seem to work very well at the minute.

In summary - LG are far from being the best OLEDs. Middle of the road at best. All they offer is 2.1 and 77" displays.

Its a different class of display compared to his other displays (i.e. the TV he listed).
Panasonic OLED is great but its tiny at only 65''. I have trialled it and it has the best HDR of any OLED IMO and any display I've handled.
For price of Panasonic 65'' HZ2000 you can get close to 77'' CX or 77'' AG9 with discount codes.

He mentioned 48'', and for 48'' Panasonic do not offer a model this size.

So for HT, there is no 77'' model.
For PC gaming, there is no 48'' model.

I don't think Panasonic can easily be apart of the equation here.

This is before we even mention it lacks gsync, VRR, freesync, 120hz, HDMI 2.1, ALLM.

Back
Top Bottom