Anyone have parking wars with their neighbours?

Soldato
This was one of the reasons we moved. We lived in a new build estate with a drive big enough for one car. You could park one car outside your drive as well, and as we only had two cars, in theory there was never any problem.

However, there was a complete moron who lived around the corner. He had extended his house into his driveway, so he had no parking spaces. He happened to be a car trader, so he would regularly have 10+ cars parked in the street, would often block our legally parked cars in, then give you a load of abuse when you asked him politely to move one. He also believed that he owned the entire street, and let down the tyre on one of my cars when it was parked around 10 metres from his house. The only reason I’d parked there in the first place was because he’d blocked my driveway.

I left him a nice present to remember me by when we moved out, which was a lot more inconvenient for him than the flat tyre he gave me. Felt good :p

Associate
We're having a parking nightmare, we require disabled access but have none "because painting lines cost too much money and we might move you". Which basically means there are days when my partner can't even leave the house because they've blocked the pavements for her mobility scooter/chair.

We often can't even park by our property, I refuse to drive after 3pm because I can't manage a disabled person and child half a mile from the property.

Soldato
I wouldn't look down on WSM if I lived anywhere in Somerset, because lets face it, if you aren't within a 5 minutes commute of Bristol City Centre that isn't a ghetto, you aren't any where worth living and have no position to be looking down your nose.

LOL - you must live in Weston.

Associate
This was one of the reasons we moved. We lived in a new build estate with a drive big enough for one car. You could park one car outside your drive as well, and as we only had two cars, in theory there was never any problem.

However, there was a complete moron who lived around the corner. He had extended his house into his driveway, so he had no parking spaces. He happened to be a car trader, so he would regularly have 10+ cars parked in the street, would often block our legally parked cars in, then give you a load of abuse when you asked him politely to move one. He also believed that he owned the entire street, and let down the tyre on one of my cars when it was parked around 10 metres from his house. The only reason I’d parked there in the first place was because he’d blocked my driveway.

I left him a nice present to remember me by when we moved out, which was a lot more inconvenient for him than the flat tyre he gave me. Felt good :p
Was it in true OCUK style and through his letterbox:p

Soldato
Details details details, please :D

Don't want to go into any more detail as some people on here lose their minds when someone admits to something as minor as doing 90 on the motorway, and this was quite a bit more serious than that. I will say I felt entirely justified though, and it helped that every other neighbor, including the security guards for our estate hated him just as much as I did. The only reason I mentioned the revenge was because I didn't want people to think he'd totally got away with being a terrible human being and making everybody's life a misery.

Underboss
I applied for a dropped kerb due to the parking issues down my road, it was rejected due to me having to turn into the oncoming lane of trafic as cars park on the opposite sidw of the road.

It's a small cul-de-sac and both of my neighbours have dropped kerbs...

£240 later (2x£120 surveys) and still a no, my neighbours houses were done before Surrey Highways changed their policy.

Stupid and very short sighted.

One of the nieghbours has taken out 2ft wall and placed a "rock garden" on their front lawn, with perfectly spaced paving slabs for wheels, I am also temtped to follow suit.

Associate
Can’t say we having parking wars, but we certainly have far to many cars for the amount of parking spaces. Their is enough spaces for 1 car per house and it’s first come, first served.
So it results in people including our selfs parking half on the path. One house there is 5 vehicles, my neighbour has 3 and so on. One other house has 4 and 2 of them are vans they deliver for amazon. when they wash their vans they block in 3/4 cars at a time and half the road.

Associate
Not necessarily war but forced my neighbor to actually utilize their drive, when I got my car.
I remember their face when they saw me my park car in the space they usually used, quite comical tbh.

But nowhere else to park really, my drive is occupied as is the space directly outside my house.

Soldato
Reading this makes me feel guilty for leaving one of my cars out on the road for a day or two after I had to move it to get another car out and then couldn't be bothered to put it back. Luckily hardly anyone parks on the road here, only usually visitors. PRevious house had 4/5 parking spaces as well as driveways, but luckily never any parking wars. Life's too short for all that.

Soldato
When we were looking for a house to buy, a driveway was a requirement. But when we looked at what is now our house, it ticked so many other boxes, and the on-street parking situation seemed sensible, we felt it was worth the compromise. It hasn't let us down yet. Only once or twice have I been unable to find a space, and I still have an option of either parking on our grass front-garden-that-isn't-a-drive-and-has-no-dropped-kerb (I prefer not to though, as although the kerb is only small, it's still a kerb, and it just churns up the grass in the winter), or driving round to a small car park which is accessible through our back gate. I have met most of our immediate neighbours and they all seem like sensible people.

I even usually manage to get my "spot" outside our house! I've only had to key a couple of cars who have parked in it.

;)

Man of Honour
But when we looked at what is now our house, it ticked so many other boxes, and the on-street parking situation seemed sensible, we felt it was worth the compromise.

Yea now your neighbours are the ones who have to suffer your parking not you, ideal compromise :D

Soldato
Yea now your neighbours are the ones who have to suffer your parking not you, ideal compromise :D

Many of the houses near us do have driveways, which get used. The previous owners of our house had cars as well. Also, there's nearly always somewhere to park, regardless of the time of day. Nobody is suffering :).

Associate
Not a war but every neighbour does park in the same spot 99.9% of the time and has done for the last 6 years whilst we have lived in our current house.

It does cause quite the commotion on the neighbour WhatsApp group when a new person moves into the road and doesn’t automatically know the parking ‘rules’ and parks in someone’s spot.

Permabanned
Not a war but every neighbour does park in the same spot 99.9% of the time and has done for the last 6 years whilst we have lived in our current house.

It does cause quite the commotion on the neighbour WhatsApp group when a new person moves into the road and doesn’t automatically know the parking ‘rules’ and parks in someone’s spot.
That’s how I’d like others to be. I’ve always liked parking outside my house, not because I own that space but I like to be able to see my car to make sure it’s ok.
I won’t park in other peoples spaces as long as they don’t park in mine. Very simple solution.

I’ve recently got rid of my car though so both me and my misses park on our drive and leave the street for others.

Man of Honour
I won’t park in other peoples spaces as long as they don’t park in mine. Very simple solution.

But it isn't your space - it's a public road maintained at the public expense. If you want your own space then you need to buy/rent a property that has one, of course sometimes this might mean compromise in other areas.

Permabanned
But it isn't your space - it's a public road maintained at the public expense. If you want your own space then you need to buy/rent a property that has one, of course sometimes this might mean compromise in other areas.
Yeah we already established that I said I don’t own it. The point is, if everyone stuck to a particular space or position their would be no need to have any issues. I know you park there, you know I park here now we can all be friends.

Anyhoo like I also said I now have no need to park on the street as I no longer have my car. My misses parks her car on the drive and I park my work van also on the drive.

Soldato
When we were looking for a house to buy, a driveway was a requirement.

It was my only requirement. My partner on the other hand insisted in living in one of two areas, which happen to be the most expensive post codes in Bristol. This immediately took out nearly every property with 1 space, never mind 2, out of our budget, as a 2 bed flat with 1 parking space can reach £500k (not out of budget, but still, ridiculous money for what you get when you can buy houses for half that in other areas imo).

Luckily, we found a mortgage lender that would accept my situation and so managed find a 3 bed townhouse with 2 spaces in budget in the end, but until we got to that point my partner and I fell out a lot over each of ours refusal to budge on our requirements and my work situation.

Back
Top Bottom