*** Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G Thread***

Associate
£90 and folds to leave a huge hinge bump on the back, no thanks.
lol well I like it, actually the bump on the back makes it easier for me to hold when it's folded out. And it really offers all round protection, I am not so worried about dropping it now which I have actually done twice but luckily was on carpet!!!

Soldato
lol well I like it, actually the bump on the back makes it easier for me to hold when it's folded out. And it really offers all round protection, I am not so worried about dropping it now which I have actually done twice but luckily was on carpet!!!
To be fair or does seem to be the only case that offer 100% cover to protect it.

Soldato
So had to send the phone to Samsung today for the one time £119 screen replacement :(

My own stupid fault, I left the phone unfolded on my sofa and dropped a small metal USB stick on to the screen when tidying up. It was on the sofa next to the phone and I fumbled it as I picked it up, dropping it onto the phone from about a foot or two high.

The damage actually wasn't too bad, there was just a tiny patch half a mm wide and 1mm long where the pixels were mainly stuck on blue with a few bursts of green and red pixels. I had removed my screen protector but regardless, I don't think the protector would have made a difference due to the impact nature - I believe the preinstalled screen protector is only really useful for scratch resistance.

Samsung are a right paint to deal with though, the booking in form online wouldn't accept my IEMI number and I tried both as the phone has an individual number for the physical and eSIM. Tried tying it in manually and also copying it in by long pressing the IEMI from the about phone section within settings. I called Samsung and the guy sounded like he was drunk, he was all over the place. At one point I asked him a question and I didn't get a response so I said 'Hello?' to see if the connection was still there. He then proceeded to try and go through all the trouble shooting steps and basically was just sticking to a script, rather than listening to me when I was telling him the screen is clearly damaged because I dropped something onto the device.

Got there in the end though - DPD turned up with a foam padded cardboard sleeve and the driver kept asking me to just shove it in the back without sealing the sleeve properly (the sleeve kinda jams the phone between two pieces of thick foam, without sealing it will just slide right out). Yeah because I'm really going to not package the phone correctly so it turns up to Samsung Croydon in an even worse state....

Associate
So had to send the phone to Samsung today for the one time £119 screen replacement :(

My own stupid fault, I left the phone unfolded on my sofa and dropped a small metal USB stick on to the screen when tidying up. It was on the sofa next to the phone and I fumbled it as I picked it up, dropping it onto the phone from about a foot or two high.

The damage actually wasn't too bad, there was just a tiny patch half a mm wide and 1mm long where the pixels were mainly stuck on blue with a few bursts of green and red pixels. I had removed my screen protector but regardless, I don't think the protector would have made a difference due to the impact nature - I believe the preinstalled screen protector is only really useful for scratch resistance.

Samsung are a right paint to deal with though, the booking in form online wouldn't accept my IEMI number and I tried both as the phone has an individual number for the physical and eSIM. Tried tying it in manually and also copying it in by long pressing the IEMI from the about phone section within settings. I called Samsung and the guy sounded like he was drunk, he was all over the place. At one point I asked him a question and I didn't get a response so I said 'Hello?' to see if the connection was still there. He then proceeded to try and go through all the trouble shooting steps and basically was just sticking to a script, rather than listening to me when I was telling him the screen is clearly damaged because I dropped something onto the device.

Got there in the end though - DPD turned up with a foam padded cardboard sleeve and the driver kept asking me to just shove it in the back without sealing the sleeve properly (the sleeve kinda jams the phone between two pieces of thick foam, without sealing it will just slide right out). Yeah because I'm really going to not package the phone correctly so it turns up to Samsung Croydon in an even worse state....

What's the turn around time for this? Did you reset the phone? Also do they actually replace the screen or give you a new phone like apple does?

Soldato
What's the turn around time for this? Did you reset the phone? Also do they actually replace the screen or give you a new phone like apple does?

I’m not actually sure what the turn around time is, they didn’t specify. The person I was dealing with on the phone was useless, he couldn’t confirm what the cost of the repair would be as I was chasing for confirmation that it would be £119. He just said I would be contacted about the price before any work starts.

Although I had an email today saying they’ve received the phone and the status says repair in progress and that parts have been ordered. Surely if what the CS representative is true, they wouldn’t order a part before seeing I was happy to pay the price?

Yeah I was advised to reset the phone and to remove both the Google and Samsung account from the phone before doing so.

Based on the status they they’re ordering parts, I believe they replace the screen rather than getting a new phone. I’ll keep the thread updated.

Associate
I’m not actually sure what the turn around time is, they didn’t specify. The person I was dealing with on the phone was useless, he couldn’t confirm what the cost of the repair would be as I was chasing for confirmation that it would be £119. He just said I would be contacted about the price before any work starts.

Although I had an email today saying they’ve received the phone and the status says repair in progress and that parts have been ordered. Surely if what the CS representative is true, they wouldn’t order a part before seeing I was happy to pay the price?

Yeah I was advised to reset the phone and to remove both the Google and Samsung account from the phone before doing so.

Based on the status they they’re ordering parts, I believe they replace the screen rather than getting a new phone. I’ll keep the thread updated.

Really appreciate the update, it'd be interesting to see how it works out, I hope they sort it out for you with minimal fuss and you get your phone back asap!!!!

Soldato
Really appreciate the update, it'd be interesting to see how it works out, I hope they sort it out for you with minimal fuss and you get your phone back asap!!!!

The update changed to repaired and dispatched today, so not too bad I don't think in regards to sending it Monday and it being repaired within 5 days. I haven't received notification from DPD yet though.

Strangely they did not contact me to confirm cost, I would have thought they would have contacted me regarding repair cost even before ordering the spare screen. No payment details were taken from me when I booked it in :confused:

I think as with the original you get a years VIP repair with a excess of £115. Not 100% sure though and can't mind if there was anything stating this in the packaging.

Yeah it's £119:
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/galaxy-z-premier-service/

Associate
To be fair or does seem to be the only case that offer 100% cover to protect it.

I've actually returned it as yes it does add too much bulk for me, back to just the leather case on the back!!!

The update changed to repaired and dispatched today, so not too bad I don't think in regards to sending it Monday and it being repaired within 5 days. I haven't received notification from DPD yet though.

Strangely they did not contact me to confirm cost, I would have thought they would have contacted me regarding repair cost even before ordering the spare screen. No payment details were taken from me when I booked it in :confused:

Yeah it's £119:
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/galaxy-z-premier-service/

Thanks for the update not too bad i suppose, be interested to hear how it looks when you get it back.

Permabanned
OP
Just saw you sold it! What did you move to?

Moved to an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Love the Fold 2 hardware but the software just isn’t very refined and started to great once the honeymoon period passed. Also struggled to find a smart watch I liked after going through 4 of them lol.

Soldato
Also struggled to find a smart watch I liked after going through 4 of them lol.

I’m using my wife’s old Apple Watch 3 and it’s so much better than my galaxy watch. I was always sceptical about reviews saying that the Apple Watch is the best wearable, but there you go. I was wrong, out of my experience of two whole wearables.

Permabanned
OP
I’m using my wife’s old Apple Watch 3 and it’s so much better than my galaxy watch. I was always sceptical about reviews saying that the Apple Watch is the best wearable, but there you go. I was wrong, out of my experience of two whole wearables.

Yep, I’ve got a stainless steel series 6 and it’s just lovely and like a piece of jewellery.

I actually wasn’t intending to change but ended up playing with a 12 Pro Max and just fell in love with the new design and screen size.

Soldato
I actually received the phone back today despite the Samsung/DPD email saying it was due to be delivered Tuesday.

Strangely enough, the repair description states screen and batteries replacement. The device came with the thin plastic film covering all the metal sides, the hinge and bezel around the inner screen. It almost looks as if it's a new phone but the IEMI number is the same by the looks, therefore I think they've replace the whole housing.

Googling the part code (GH82-23968B) it appears the screen comes as part of the whole assembly.

One slight issue was there were three clear areas where the screen protector was sat on top of dust/debris so I removed the screen protector. Might sound crazy after what happened but there's no way the pre-installed protector is protecting against impact damage. I have seen a third party protector on Amazon that actually looks like the manufacturer has paid attention to how a screen protector for the fold will need to be applied differently to a typical phone.

Associate
I actually received the phone back today despite the Samsung/DPD email saying it was due to be delivered Tuesday.

Strangely enough, the repair description states screen and batteries replacement. The device came with the thin plastic film covering all the metal sides, the hinge and bezel around the inner screen. It almost looks as if it's a new phone but the IEMI number is the same by the looks, therefore I think they've replace the whole housing.

Googling the part code (GH82-23968B) it appears the screen comes as part of the whole assembly.

One slight issue was there were three clear areas where the screen protector was sat on top of dust/debris so I removed the screen protector. Might sound crazy after what happened but there's no way the pre-installed protector is protecting against impact damage. I have seen a third party protector on Amazon that actually looks like the manufacturer has paid attention to how a screen protector for the fold will need to be applied differently to a typical phone.
Thanks for the update, ad you got it sorted in the end, I almost sold my fold 2 as I feel tempted by the new iPhone, came to my senses for now though!! Everyone else still got theirs? Apart from Spit!

Back
Top Bottom