Advice on upgrades needed :)

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to slowly upgrade my computer. At the moment it struggles to play warzone on lowest settings.

Here is what I have at the moment:
i5 7400 processor
GTX 1060 3GB graphics
1TB Seagate ST1000DM010 HHD
8GB DDR4 Ram
Asus H110M-K Motherboard

Thanks in advance :) I'm new too this so if I have missed anything you need to know please let me know.

Thanks.

Associate
I think, really, you'll need at least an i7 7700k (and over clocking) to even get near to bumping up your settings or getting less struggling - but that's as high as your motherboard will go. Finding that cpu for a reasonable price right now seems difficult, and although 4 cores is okay for gaming, newer processors tend to have more.

I haven't looked for a while, but the AMD Ryzen chips seem to be the way to go (of course, you'll need a new motherboard for that change). From my understanding, a cpu from the Ryzen 5 family would probably be quite good for what you're looking for, Ryzen 7 for more future proofing.

After that, you could begin looking at a new graphics card but their pricing seems to be bordering insane at this moment in time.

RAM is always nice (sweet spot is about 16gb), and an SSD is great for read/write speeds

Associate
OP
Hi Guys,

Right... Hopefully I've understood this so can anyone offer assistance on the below shopping list (Would it all work togethor)

Firstly, buying a GTX 1660 6GB GDRR5 Graphics card (I think this would plug straight into my current rig?) - I can't afford to do every upgrade at one time so thought this first

Then ASUS Prime B450-PLUS ATX Motherboard with a Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler. I believe this would later down the line allow me to upgrade ram, as it h as 4 slots and a max of 64gb, much better than my current set-up

I can't afford any massive upgrades, but I think this would be a good start, and would allow me to build up on that board?

Just not sure on a SSD so help with that would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately can't afford the outright cost to buy all in one go which is why I'm looking to slowly upgrade. I'll get there slowly :)

Associate
You should look at getting another 8GB of RAM either by doubling what you've already got so it's matched or getting a new 16GB matched pair like this.
When you can afford going to a new AMD CPU & motherboard like you suggested with a B450 board and a R5 2600 that would be a worthwhile upgrade.
Probably wouldn't go to a 1660 6GB over your current 1660 3GB unless you can find one for very cheap, would look for a 2060/2060 super or a 2070 maybe look about on second hand market to see if there are any bargains to be had for a worthwhile upgrade. If you want something new think 2060 can be had for about £300 and the super for about £350 but that's not amazing value, it's not a great time for buying hardware it seems with the lack of production at the moment. Even going AMD and grabbing a RX 5600 XT would be a better choice than the small upgrade that the 1660 6GB would give.
An OS boot SSD definitely worth grabbing to have Windows running on if you haven't got one already, something like this 250-500GB SSDs are fairly cheap now.

Associate
OP
Hello,

Thanks for your input I appreciate it. Yes I've not got an SSD at the moment so I will look to get one of those. I currently have a 1060 3GB not the 1660 3GB, so would the 1660 6GB be a nice upgrade, or was it a typo on your reply? (Sorry if I have misunderstood)

I can pretty much afford the motherboard & R5 processor. I'm not entirely sure which is better, the 2600 or 1600, the main difference I can see is the R5 1600 has a .2 processor speed but prices seem to be very similar.

Just the graphics card that I'm struggling with, as you mentioned about supply issues currently I'm not having much luck finding any decent used units.

Soldato
Hello,

Thanks for your input I appreciate it. Yes I've not got an SSD at the moment so I will look to get one of those. I currently have a 1060 3GB not the 1660 3GB, so would the 1660 6GB be a nice upgrade, or was it a typo on your reply? (Sorry if I have misunderstood)

I can pretty much afford the motherboard & R5 processor. I'm not entirely sure which is better, the 2600 or 1600, the main difference I can see is the R5 1600 has a .2 processor speed but prices seem to be very similar.

Just the graphics card that I'm struggling with, as you mentioned about supply issues currently I'm not having much luck finding any decent used units.

The 10400F performs much better than either the 1600 or 2600 and is about on par with a 3600 while being considerably cheaper.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £250.44 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Back
Top Bottom