• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 3090 a 'waste' for gaming?

Associate
As i posted above i personally noticed and enjoy the difference in the games i play which are at 4k over the 3080 ... its up to you if you think the extra frames are worth it or not but as i own a 4k 144hz monitor and a 77" Lg cx which is 4k 120/hz i wanted as many as i could get :D

A benchmark i ran in multiplayer on modern warfare , these are at 4k with ultra setting including RT

3080FE :

ModernWarfare.exe benchmark completed, 64426 frames rendered in 555.594 s
Average framerate : 115.9 FPS
Minimum framerate : 69.1 FPS
Maximum framerate : 149.2 FPS
1% low framerate : 75.8 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 12.3 FPS

3090 Strix oc:

ModernWarfare.exe benchmark completed, 68380 frames rendered in 497.047 s
Average framerate : 137.5 FPS
Minimum framerate : 86.3 FPS
Maximum framerate : 183.7 FPS
1% low framerate : 89.6 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 6.3 FPS

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
To me it is never worth the price commanded. But in life what is? I also cycle on road bikes, my summer bike cost ~£1499 when I first got it, there are guys in my club that don't bat an eyelid and spend £5000+ on elite replicas that the professionals ride on. A decent set of wheels is well over a grand. Depends on your hobby and value. Some guys dump thousands on fishing equipment..

My last major upgrade was a Vega 56. £300 in black friday sales. Compared to some on here I upgrade quite seldom. I also do development, use my desktop as a workstation for Work. I look forward to some of the features I never had before (broadcast, voice etc.). Some people just game on their machines, I also do mining overnight on the cheap rate electric. I intend to use the card for a few years and also get the most out of the extra VRAM.

Lastly, look at the above post from Jay ^ its not a few % better, in some instances it comfortably stretches past the 3080, look at the average fps its 21fps higher. YMMV. Realistically the 3080s have been much harder than the other tiers to get hold of, if you can wait then thats great, but it could be many weeks months - look at the day 1 pre-order queues on here where people still dont have one.. thats £700+ sat there that you dont have and two months have gone past without using it - crazy.

Man of Honour
I was just playing with my Philips 436M6 with my 3070FE - usually it is hooked up to another system for racing games as I don't really get on with 4K for general use - suddenly the 3090 doesn't seem like a waste.

Only reason I really bothered having a play is I'm kind of half on the fence on whether to play Cyberpunk and if I do whether to play it on that display.

Soldato
If you are going to get the extra out of it by using it for work etc then it might be worth it. From a straight gaming scenario unless your flush with cash I would get a 6800XT or a 3080.

The difference on average is about 15% tops. If that 15% is worth £1000 for just pure gaming then go for it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If you are going to get the extra out of it by using it for work etc then it might be worth it. From a straight gaming scenario unless your flush with cash I would get a 6800XT or a 3080.

The difference on average is about 15% tops. If that 15% is worth £1000 for just pure gaming then go for it.

Yes I agree. I also tried very hard to get the 3080FE on release and the 6800XT on release. Just not enough to go around.

Soldato
Hi guys, long time no post. Like a lot of people I'm at the end of my tether in regards to picking up an new Graphics Card. I've missed out on a 3080/3070/3060ti lol. The queues to get one seem to be into the months rather than weeks as well :(

This has led me to consider the 3090 as they are the only cards I ever see in stock. Most of the reviews I've read show these are only 10/15% faster than a 3080.

So am I being stupid even considering these? Is the 3080 stock situation going to improve?

You have a really nice system there apart from the GPU. Also you don't update often so a 3090 is a good investment over the years you keep GPUS, I'm the same I don't update every time a new GPU comes out. Now a 3080 is okay for next couple of years but the 10GB VRAM may become an issue, the 3090 VRAM will not become an issue ever in the life of the GPU.

I updated to 2 x 3090 in SLI and will not be updating for at least 5 years or they will end up in a new build in the future if I update the main system.

Looking at what you have currently a 3090 is not a bad investment if you plan to update every 4-5 years.

What resolution monitor do you use ?

Associate
I've had my 3090 Fe for a month now. Haven't tried one game yet. Just used for octane render and unreal engine. (wouldn't but this card for pure gaming)

Matter of fact my "gaming" pc which is hooked up to my C9 "only" has a 2080ti which is what I'll be using for cyberpunk. Even though the performance will be inferior. I'll play with the settings to get 4k working!

Man of Honour
I've had my 3090 Fe for a month now. Haven't tried one game yet. Just used for octane render and unreal engine. (wouldn't but this card for pure gaming)

Matter of fact my "gaming" pc which is hooked up to my C9 "only" has a 2080ti which is what I'll be using for cyberpunk. Even though the performance will be inferior. I'll play with the settings to get 4k working!

I'm actually thinking of going the other way and getting a 3090 for the system hooked up to my 4K monitor for CP 2077 - but even assuming I like the game I think I will end up reverting to playing it on 1440p anyway.

Associate
I did contemplate and thought "just play cyberpunk on my 27,1440 with 3090 and superior performance" but I really just really want to keep this pc free for rendering.

Surely when it development this game works fine on a 2080ti at 1440/4k Dlss. Plus I get to play it on big TV with great HDR.

Unless I get a really long HDMI 2.1 cable...

Associate
I'm actually thinking of going the other way and getting a 3090 for the system hooked up to my 4K monitor for CP 2077 - but even assuming I like the game I think I will end up reverting to playing it on 1440p anyway.

Also you're right. Probably stick to 1440 with medium Ray tracing

Associate
Well I gave in and have just purchased a 3090. Overpriced yes but I justified it to myself using the following man logic :rolleyes:
  • Put it through my bros business so dont pay the VAT comes in around £1250
  • Have money sat around from this year I haven't spent on holidays so using that.
  • Have a gsync monitor so need an nvidia card
  • Will be enjoying it for the next 6 months at max everything 4k while others are sat around waiting for cards to either become available or drop to a price they are happy with
  • Have a mining rig in the garage, so when not being used I can leave this mining to add an extra 120mhs to my total I'm already getting
  • Will not encounter any issues with lack of VRam in a year or 2
  • I only replace my kit every 5 years or so, therefore I should get my moneys worth
Pretty poor excuses tbf but meh you only live once!!

Soldato
I was losing it constantly missing out on GPUs due to bots. I bought a RTX 3090 as it was 1499 quid in a Cyber monday deal (Probably how much it should cost). I prefer to pay that than give scalpers on Ebay my money for a 3080.

Associate
My original plan was to wait it out for the 3080ti as that was the card I really wanted. But like many I just got sick of waiting around - which is probably Jensens plan all along.

In the grand scheme of things PC gaming is a relatively cheap hobby. My missus has a horse so the price of a 3090 is a drop in the ocean.

Soldato
My original plan was to wait it out for the 3080ti as that was the card I really wanted. But like many I just got sick of waiting around - which is probably Jensens plan all along.

In the grand scheme of things PC gaming is a relatively cheap hobby. My missus has a horse so the price of a 3090 is a drop in the ocean.

That's a cool nickname. I'd still be gaming on a 750ti if that was how my wife approved my purchases. :(

Associate
Value is all relative. Are ferraris, Lamborghinis, Rolex’s value for money? Not really but if you want them and can afford them then just buy them, you don’t need someone else’s permission or judgement.

I got a 3090 FE because it was the only card in this new generation that I wanted and I think it’s very good value and I am loving it. If I thought SLi would give me something more I would get another one without a thought but SLI is getting phased out so not sure if it would be a benefit and to be honest the frame rates the 3090 is capable of even in flight sim 2020 at 4k on my threadripper system is fantastic.

Soldato
Value is all relative. Are ferraris, Lamborghinis, Rolex’s value for money? Not really but if you want them and can afford them then just buy them, you don’t need someone else’s permission or judgement.

I wouldn't normally comment on whether someone should purchase a particular card, but in this case the OP has requested someone else's judgement so you would have to conclude that he does need it to aid his decision.

Soldato
From my perspective now I have the 3090? Love it worth the money, hear me out. Im not checking forums or stock every day for the last 3 months for a card, the relief of just being on the forums to chat about my hobby vs always jumping on a part alert to have the panic trying to spam te pay button only to have it removed from your basket during payment authentication.
Not checking the threads on queue positions because a company has £900 of my cash 3 months later... Its honestly just a weight lifted.

Smart money would get a 3070 short term and sell it on when stock comes around mid next year, but if you want a card this side of April? Sure the 3090 is zero on price performance that said the performance is utterly amazing and Im finally able to use my Valve Index how it was intended its night and day the difference.

If you were having "panic" about something as trivial as a computer part, then you've other issues...

3090 is nothing but an epeen extension, a roll of honour post and an awful waste of money....for 10% more gaming performance over a 3080

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom