Co-op games for Christmas?

Soldato
OP
BL2 didn't work out because one of the lads played on his own a lot as well as in coop so we kept finding our level disparity was too high and me and his brother were getting pulled into content we couldn't deal with. His brother got quite cross about it :)

The same lad also played Ark with a school friend when it was given away on Epic, and he's done with it now, which is a shame as I thought it looked good fun.

Soldato
There aren't any jump scares, the horror aspects are more psychological - building tension etc. I suppose it depends on your kids ages really, not sure it'll be suitable for young ones. It's a bit rough round the edges initially but good fun once you've got to grips with it (tutorial needs a tutorial really)

Soldato
Deep Rock gets my vote hands down. It's an an absolutely awesome coop game with good progression and some really fun missions. The different classes all have their uses too.

I'd also go old school with L4d2. Me and my lad have been playing that since he was 5. You can install mods in a matter of seconds which change the zombies to Minecraft zombies if you want to tone it down for them.

GTA should be avoided at all costs, not for the content, but for the absolutely god awful load times (sometimes 15 mins plus, never les than 5 mins), and because trying to play with your actual friends is painful and needlessly difficult.

Associate
Sounds like some pretty mature games, personally you cannot under estimate Arma 2/3 for co-op.

One of the best games, forget the pre-built missions, watch a couple of YT videos and use the Editor or download a prebuilt mission/mod.

The 3 of you playing against the AI will have a laugh, its clunky and you have to have patience, but its criminally underrated as a co-op game. When you get used to the series and quirks, honestly they are awesome.

Soldato
OP
Cool. Glad to hear good things about DRG. That was one I thought looked really good.

Amra I always thought had a forboding reputation for hardcore realism and being a bit demanding to play?

Think I'll watch some videos about Phasmophobia too.

Associate
Vermintide 2

I saw something about game pass were doing 3 months for £1.

If you all got that you could play the halo games co op, some of the gears games you can play co op although im not sure how many player slots there are. And no man sky is also available on there now.

Associate
Hey im a bit of a coop maniac. Unfortunately there arent many new ones coming out these days aside from Borderlands 3. Im gonna reccomend Dying Light along with its main expansion "The Following". 4 player coop and scaling only matters to an extent. Mostly skill unlocks tbh.

L4D2 did get an update recently adding more maps etc and its really good because there is no catch up levelling or progression chasing A nice one for on and off replayability.

No Mans Sky? Game has completely turned itself around and is packed with stuff to do.

Sombody mentioned Satisfactory and it can be a little complicated but its nice because you can jump in and out while maintaining a progression pace that suits you and the kids. Once you have the basics your sorted imo.

Good luck and hope you all enjoy!

Soldato
OP
Cheers, guys.

Vermintide is like Left for Dead, but in Warhammer, right?

But... I had no idea Dying Light had coop! I really like the SP and was thinking the lads would like it too since they like zombie films. Will definitely have a look at how the coop works on that. Is it coop in the normal campaign, or a separate mode?

Soldato
Cheers, guys.

But... I had no idea Dying Light had coop! I really like the SP and was thinking the lads would like it too since they like zombie films. Will definitely have a look at how the coop works on that. Is it coop in the normal campaign, or a separate mode?

You can have up to 4 people and it's the normal campaign. I sunk a lot of time into it solo and with my siblings, it's great fun!
Yes, you can run through the campaign in co-op.

Associate
Cheers, guys.

End Times Vermintide 1 beats 2 by a long shot imo. Very fun and quite unique too. Has that nice survival based feel with story elements built in as you progress through the levels.

But honestly give Dying Light a shot. One of my favorites. You play through the story together for a total of 4 players. Main game is lots of fun and there are plenty of side quests rich in story and also some events like speed running time trials. The expansion The Following is fantastic too and gives a refreshing change of scenery. Takes you out of the city and into the large open countryside with coastal towns and villages. You can pick up the Dying Light Enhanced Edition which includes the main story, season pass and Expansion for around £8-10 nowadays. Absolute steal.

Soldato
OP
Well, I am really glad I asked this question because now I am definitely grabbing another two copies of Dying Light for Christmas!

I never played through the whajamacallit DLC, the one with the car/buggy, so that will be some new content to through for me too.

Associate
Well, I am really glad I asked this question because now I am definitely grabbing another two copies of Dying Light for Christmas!

I never played through the whajamacallit DLC, the one with the car/buggy, so that will be some new content to through for me too.

Will be a good choice all round for you im sure. Hope everyone enjoys :)

Soldato

The buggies in Dying Light are super fun, more so once you get the upgrades done and you can clear entire fields with them :D

Back
Top Bottom