New Alienware Q3 2020

Soldato
At that time I've used LG 34UC98, which had AW3821DW-like picture quality already in late 2015, while other ultrawides looked like this (that's your PG348Q by the way).
Yes i do agree the light bleed, IPS Glow and blacks (More like Greys :D) were crap on my PG34Q
But how much this was due to it being an IPS panel and how much is was due to the monitor build quality i don't know as IPS panels are know for glow & crap black levels but they do have great viewing angles

Associate
But how much this was due to it being an IPS panel and how much is was due to the monitor build quality i don't know as IPS panels are know for glow & crap black levels but they do have great viewing angles

It is inherent to the exact panel model used. Manufacturers like Asus and Acer get pre-assembled panel+backlight unit from LG and cannot do anything about it's inherent flaws. IPS panels are prone to glow but it differs dramatically between different panel iterations and there are ways of improving it. Backlight bleed is a build quality thing but typical for any blacklit technology, VA models are also abysmal in that case. These days they are actually worse than good IPS ones, black uniformity on these 38" LG IPS was really good right from the start while all Samsung SVA models have this strange flashlighting like here, like a narrow beams of light instead of spread out bleed we are used to seeing. They don't hold any real advantage in that regard today.

So all desktop displays have it and you are forced to put up with it for now but saying that all panels have it all the same like many bad reviewers do is just completely wrong, it varies very significantly between different panel iterations.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a rumour that it does with the latest G-Sync module but information is vague. Certainly this monitor does but that may well be just a Dell thing. I don't know.
Any idea what HZ range it works over ?

As G-sync normally covers a wider range then AMD Freesync (or at lest down to a lower HZ)

Associate
Yes, it seems as if the newer G-Sync modules work with FreeSync: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/n...sync-for-future-native-g-sync-module-screens/

To be precise, I am using a MBP 16 + RX 5700 XT (eGPU, with the Adrenalin 2020 November edition bootcamp drivers), with bootcamp Win 10.

As soon as plugged in the AW3821DW (DP to eGPU -> TB3 to MBP), the monitor was recognised as a FreeSync monitor. Enabling FreeSync in Adrenalin works as well.

Associate
There is a rumour that it does with the latest G-Sync module but information is vague. Certainly this monitor does but that may well be just a Dell thing. I don't know.

It does work, I think LG 38GL950G was the first to have that feature. All G-sync v2 models released later should have it by default. It is still best to research each display individually though. Not like there is any reason in the world to run AMD card, but that should cover other VRR capable devices as well, whatever they may be. Maybe movies will start using VRR at some point, who knows.

Permabanned
It does work, I think LG 38GL950G was the first to have that feature. All G-sync v2 models released later should have it by default. It is still best to research each display individually though. Not like there is any reason in the world to run AMD card, but that should cover other VRR capable devices as well, whatever they may be. Maybe movies will start using VRR at some point, who knows.

I am really surprised they are not more vocal about it.

Associate
Has anyone had any experience with returning anything to Dell within the first 14 days? The website says returns are free but also states a 'reasonable charge' will be made to cover the collection. Unfortunately their customer service closed at 5pm so I cant ask directly and am looking to order this evening.

Permabanned
Has anyone had any experience with returning anything to Dell within the first 14 days? The website says returns are free but also states a 'reasonable charge' will be made to cover the collection. Unfortunately their customer service closed at 5pm so I cant ask directly and am looking to order this evening.

Some companies charge a restocking fee, so Dell, by saying returns are free mean there is no restocking charge. Often companies will charge a percentage of the value of the order but Dell do not. However, there is a transport charge deducted from your original payment. I don't know what that is for Dell but it will be charged at cost. This is normal, it is not reasonable to expect Dell to cover transport costs if you have changed your mind.

If there is a fault with the monitor it is different. They collect and replace it at zero cost to you. However they are not required to offer a refund under those circumstances, only to replace the defective monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, that's great thanks for the info.

I was expecting there to be a fee of some description if it's returned with no fault but as was unclear (to me at least, having never returned anything) I thought I'd ask the experts. If I do return it I'll post the costs incurred should should anyone else have the same query.

Soldato
Finally out for delivery...only a week after ordering!! :p

8:54-9:54 arrival from DHL :D

It's arrived, it's set up and it's glorious :D

Just played a quick TDM of Black Ops Cold War on it, 1440p HDR on and hitting 200-220fps consistently on my 3090FE...so butter smooth, I'm in love with it.

I'll mess about with it later but first impressions are top notch, I've really missed this resolution as 1080p 240hz was great but really I wasn't stretching my PC's legs. Also not a fan of how Dell just ship things in the Monitor Box for it to be clear for all to see :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom