Bathroom ceiling caved in

Permabanned
Really need to get trades in to re plaster whole room out and fit new suite but I'm embarrassed to show any one in. :(
You just have to get good at lying.

You recently bought this house from and look at the state of the bathroom, how could someone let it get so bad etc?

This, just tell them you recently purchased it and needs sorting. Nothing wrong with it. They would want the work anyway.

Caporegime
Is the leak and roof fixed and if so was it a proper job that should last 20-40 years minimum?

You could always do an insurance job surely? With Covid it would take a while for them to send someone out to inspect and by then if there is mould say yet that started growing a couple of days back and it must be the humidity or something it's growing like wildfire.

Soldato
OP
Roof is sorted and still very sound with no leakage at all since and all wood has dried out. Just want all the walls plastered and the suite renewed and new tiles all round.

Soldato
OP
The rip out has begun...

1633402763.jpg

1633464245.jpg

Soldato
OP
Think I'm being ripped off by the bathroom fitting outfit though. I'm having a walk in shower, washbasin with cupboard underneath & a toilet and the walls and ceiling cladded. But I think they seem to think that they are just going to clad over the rest of the **** that's still on the wall (painting over the cracks so to speak). I'm having a new floor down too, LVT I think it is but they haven't even ripped the old tiled floor up and no way am I having them lay it on top of that because it's not even level. (Concrete floor under the tiles I assume is level though.)

They are going to be cladding the little passage area that is between the bathroom and the kitchen too but they haven't even took the plaster off the walls in there, guy this morning said he'll prob just leave it. On my closer inspection it's knackered/damp and I don't want it just left hidden behind cladding, same goes for the ceiling in there too.

It just seems weird that they have started the rip out and then cleared it all out if they haven't finished ripping it out so that's what leads me to believe they are just going to hide the rest and do a bodge job. I'm not sure how long he was there today ripping out but he arrived at 7.30 before I left for work and I think he had cleared off by lunch time. He's taken all the waste away with him already, another sign that the rip out is complete in there eyes. I'll already be away to work before he/they arrive tomorrow morning.

The guy there today doing the rip out isn't the guy who initially came to do the survey. I certainly do seem to have a knack for picking dodgy tradesmen, what with the back yard concrete job last year.

Soldato
I *think* LVT does need proper prep.

From memory normally they'd at least put it on something like a chipboard floor, or on top of some type of screed to level it.

If I was you I would fully tile the walls, will make hiding the mess underneath significantly easier.

Caporegime
Hope you're OK Lee.
That bathroom look(ed) really unhealthy. It's easy to let things slip. Hope the rework fixes it.

I leave our bathroom window open a lot of the time. The fan is a bit naff.

Brave to put pics of that up on the forum I have to say.

Soldato
Hope you're OK Lee.
That bathroom look(ed) really unhealthy. It's easy to let things slip. Hope the rework fixes it.

I leave our bathroom window open a lot of the time. The fan is a bit naff.

Brave to put pics of that up on the forum I have to say.
Check the time stamp dude, that picture is almost 5 years old too :D

Its been tiled over tiles.
Wouldnt be surprised if the pricing in assumed one layer (with time / disposal costs) taken into consideration.

Whilst I dont really agree with the tile over tile thing it is quite common practice. Its not a problem if the base tiles are sound.
If the base tiles are fully grouted and "made good" they act as practically a whole wall tanking anyway.

Back
Top Bottom