** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
On my second G9 due to the first having a few dead/stuck pixels and very annoying popping noises.

This one has no dead or stuck pixels, no issue with scanlines as far as I've seen so far. It does have slight backlight bleed in four different places pretty much symmetrically top and bottom but it is probably passable.

One thing I am concerned about is that I ran the Eizo monitor test and the results of the response time test are a bit of a downer.

I was getting a lot of yellow blurring in front of the blue box and black blurring from the white, although strangely that seems to have minimised itself out now I have run the test again.
The boxes do seem to judder a fair bit on 120hz with adaptive sync on or off and I don't think the previous monitor did this.
They seem to start off smooth on the left side of the screen but just before they hit the middle they get all juddery.

I still have the other one so tempted to plug it back in and compare but it's a pain since they are so bloody big!

Still on a GTX 980 (impatiently waiting on RTX 3080 founders stock) so not expecting miracles, although the yellow blur I saw was extreme and the judder seemed much worse than the other monitor.

On the latest firmware 1008.1.

Associate
Received my Odyssey G9 from OC's Cyber Monday Sales, its a GUD UN, no stuck pixels, no light bleed, no cracking sounds from casing, no judder at 120hz adaptive sync on/off.
Currently running a 3800X CPU and 5700XT GPU waiting patiently to upgrade to 5900x and 6800XT, yes I'm a AMD fan, so stuck at max 120hz.

Updated firmware to 1008.1, so now have PBP in 120htz each screen.
Resized windows to 110% cos Im old and need bigger text

Interested in what colour (color) calibration changes members have made.
Interested whether using a colour calibration tool changes / improves image much, I don't do Photo editing
Interested: in any Odyssey G9 owner setup recommendations

Small issue with Warhammer 2 in 5,120 x 1,440, some gaming screens are slightly too big (overscan) and edges hidden (happens in windowed and fullscreen)
Interested in any Game setup tips

Likes: Immersion, menu joystick, so much better than navigating multiple buttons.
Common dislikes: rear cover over ports especially USB makes it a pita to access USB and change firmware etc, wobbly monitor on stand, depth vs previous Dell 3440 x 1440.

Ac1dCloud :)

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone having problems with the G9 not waking up from sleep mode like reported here?

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...yssey-G9-will-not-wake-up/td-p/1432931/page/2

I'm having this issue since enabling HDR setting in Windows display settings. It's entirely reproducible - if it's switched off, no issue, with it on, it won't switch back on from sleep and I end up having to hard reset my PC..

Yep still have this issue after months of firmware updates. Incredibly annoying. Its agnostic of having HDR on or off for me. Often happens at boot too, so very difficult to get into UEFI.

Associate
Received my Odyssey G9 from OC's Cyber Monday Sales, its a GUD UN, no stuck pixels, no light bleed, no cracking sounds from casing, no judder at 120hz adaptive sync on/off.
Currently running a 3800X CPU and 5700XT GPU waiting patiently to upgrade to 5900x and 6800XT, yes I'm a AMD fan, so stuck at max 120hz.

Updated firmware to 1008.1, so now have PBP in 120htz each screen.
Resized windows to 110% cos Im old and need bigger text

Interested in what colour (color) calibration changes members have made.
Interested whether using a colour calibration tool changes / improves image much, I don't do Photo editing
Interested: in any Odyssey G9 owner setup recommendations

Small issue with Warhammer 2 in 5,120 x 1,440, some gaming screens are slightly too big and edges hidden (happens in windowed and fullscreen)
Interested in any Game setup tips

Likes: Immersion, menu joystick, so much better than navigating multiple buttons.
Common dislikes: rear cover over ports especially USB makes it a pita to access USB and change firmware etc, wobbly monitor on stand, depth vs previous Dell 3440 x 1440.

Ac1dCloud :)

Another bug in the firmware for this monitor is that it doesn't save the custom colour level profiles - you will lose them when the monitor loses signal from your source. So calibration will only be so useless.

Associate
Hey guys, do you lot know of a working USB drive to update the firmware? I can't seem to find any of mine and the ones I did find don't work unfortunately.

I have got g-sync flickering unfortunately.

Associate
Hey guys, do you lot know of a working USB drive to update the firmware? I can't seem to find any of mine and the ones I did find don't work unfortunately.

I have got g-sync flickering unfortunately.

Some usb drives work and some don't, well documented on Reddit. Think it needs to be 32gb or maybe 16gb or less and also FAT 32 formatted? Someone else should be able to confirm.

S2k

S2k

Associate
Yeah, a lot of embedded consumer stuff like this needs a small USB stick (e.g. 4G) And as already stated above the Samsung documentation states it must be FAT32 formatted.

Oh, and I got my replacement G7 on Friday which works perfectly! This monitor is streets ahead of the LG850/Dell S2721DGFA I returned before getting this! Better colour, way better contrast.. better everything basically..

Associate
Did anyone else notice HDCP broke after flashing the monitor? It says "This display does not support HDCP" in the Nvidia control panel.
HDCP doesn’t work on 240hz mode, but does in 120hz. I can confirm this is the case for me. Not sure if this is working as intended, but I suspect it is.

Associate
HDCP doesn’t work on 240hz mode, but does in 120hz. I can confirm this is the case for me. Not sure if this is working as intended, but I suspect it is.
I get the same. Apparently HDCP doesn't work over DSC which is required for 240Hz at the full resolution, so I guess this is expected.

Associate
Have the issues this monitor (G9) was plagued with been addressed yet? Or is this still very much a lottery panel?
The clicking noise doesn't seem to have been addressed and my monitor has this, but no other issues.
I guess there's still a lottery on things like dead pixels.

The other limitation is that in 240Hz you can't really run resolutions other than full res and some odd low resolutions, so if you want to drop down to 16:9 you need to change to 120Hz mode. Not sure why this is but seems to be a firmware limitation as everyone's got it.

Back
Top Bottom