*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Just spent the evening with my G2. Have to say I'm blown away. Coming from a Rift S it's a night and day difference.

I had an issue with audio switching between the G2 and back again, found a USB hub to plug it into and it works perfectly (I have a X570 motherboard).

Otherwise setup was a dream. Really looking forward to FS2020 VR to be released now!

Played a few games, some Assetto Corsa which was awesome, stunning visuals. Played some beat saber, that really showed off the colours of the screens, makes the Rift S look very dull in comparison. And The Lab is an excellent showcase of details!

Soldato
Something else which explains the whole 100% resolution thing which @Zeeflyboy was mentioning pretty well, learning curve for me: https://youtu.be/DltoXmiM-so

I've been using VR since the original rift and knew about having to render more than the panel for the lenses but hadn't really thought, that of course it would need to scale with the panel. Blimey that explains my FS 2020 experience a bit more :p Suddenly dual 3090's makes sense. :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
After a week of the G2 sitting in the box my new X570 Zen 3 build was ready for VR yesterday.

All plugged in and still got connect headset from the WMR app. The USB C port was one that did not work. Finally found a USB port that did but started getting audio dropout from that one.

My powered USB hub came to the rescue and everything works!

I’m using a PCIe 4.0 Gigabtye Aorus Extreme which confirms what has been said online about X570 USB issues. Hopefully these will be resolved with bios and drivers.

My previous experience with VR was a Samsung headset attached to a Galaxy Note but this is a million miles away. The colours, sharpness and environment has blown me away. Loving the controllers.

Looking forward to exploring and some gaming. The icing on the cake will be the VR release for Microsoft Flight Simulator coming just before Christmas. Watch this space.

Associate
I'm still waiting for my G2 to be RMA'd. The Quest2 experience has been much better for me. My 2070S can't power either at native resolution, so it has become less about not being able to power the G2 because even a 3080 isn't going too get anything to challenging running native and 90fps on either headset. The difference for me is that the Q2 works, every time, and has way better controllers and smoother tracking. When I say works every time - I mean that I can connect it with the link cable, fire up Oculus or Steam VR, pick a title and off I go. With the G2 I have to restart SteamVR and WMR regularly otherwise it's a slide show - like a couple of frames per second sitting in the Steam VR Home. When the Q2 arrived I unboxed the G2 to give it another chance, but it just wouldn't stop doing the slide show vomit inducing low frame rate in Steam VR. Even uninstalling and re-installing would not help.

What surprised me was upping the bit rate on the Oculus Link and setting the resolution to native got very close to the G2 resolution. Completely unusable at that resolution right now, but I suspect I can get closer to it with a 3080. G2 has better colours, but it's just not worth the constant hassle. Q2 stand alone though, I love that. Expected stuff to look crap, but Superhot and Beatsaber are great, even Robo Recall Unplugged is pretty nice. I love that I can also pop it on and watch Youtube or surf with a massive screen too, on the couch, no PC. It's stopped the kids fighting over the PC too - when one wants to game and the other wants to try VR, untethered becomes valuable.

Soldato
I'm still waiting for my G2 to be RMA'd. The Quest2 experience has been much better for me. My 2070S can't power either at native resolution, so it has become less about not being able to power the G2 because even a 3080 isn't going too get anything to challenging running native and 90fps on either headset. The difference for me is that the Q2 works, every time, and has way better controllers and smoother tracking. When I say works every time - I mean that I can connect it with the link cable, fire up Oculus or Steam VR, pick a title and off I go. With the G2 I have to restart SteamVR and WMR regularly otherwise it's a slide show - like a couple of frames per second sitting in the Steam VR Home. When the Q2 arrived I unboxed the G2 to give it another chance, but it just wouldn't stop doing the slide show vomit inducing low frame rate in Steam VR. Even uninstalling and re-installing would not help.

What surprised me was upping the bit rate on the Oculus Link and setting the resolution to native got very close to the G2 resolution. Completely unusable at that resolution right now, but I suspect I can get closer to it with a 3080. G2 has better colours, but it's just not worth the constant hassle. Q2 stand alone though, I love that. Expected stuff to look crap, but Superhot and Beatsaber are great, even Robo Recall Unplugged is pretty nice. I love that I can also pop it on and watch Youtube or surf with a massive screen too, on the couch, no PC. It's stopped the kids fighting over the PC too - when one wants to game and the other wants to try VR, untethered becomes valuable.

I had a Reverb G1 and 2070s. It was fine as long as you hit 45fps. More than manageable. Just needed to make sure Re Projection was working.

Soldato

Try this

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/k8m6nq/all_graphics_problems_fixed_hp_reverb_g2_no_more/

Soldato
Hey guys just a headsup for anyone with audio initialisation issues - I just updated to F31o bios on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master which has some fixes for USB 2.0 (the audio is on usb 2.0 headphones on the G2) and so far so good - every time I've power on the headset even after reboots it's gone straight to working audio. Will update if I have any further issues but seems promising.

Soldato

I've had much better luck with the 446.14 drivers on my 2070S for what it's worth... seems to remove some GPU oddities in VR for me.

Associate
Hey guys just a headsup for anyone with audio initialisation issues - I just updated to F31o bios on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master which has some fixes for USB 2.0 (the audio is on usb 2.0 headphones on the G2) and so far so good - every time I've power on the headset even after reboots it's gone straight to working audio. Will update if I have any further issues but seems promising.

Promising - I've got the x570 Aorus Elite. Was going to update when I managed to get a 5900X but will upate tonight now. Not had many issues with audio but get sporadic 7-14 errors, even using a hub. Cheers!

Associate
Thanks. It doesn't add enough over the Quest 2 for me to feel it is worth keeping, and the Q2 has the advantage of better tracking, better controllers, and untethered. All of which I figured I'd not care about, but do. I'm really pleased with the Quest.

Love my G2, but also looking forward to receiving a Quest 2 before Christmas.

As others have said, having the great wireless experience complements the G2 quite nicely. Also stops people hijacking my headset when I'm trying to have a drive.

For me, seated experience = G2. Everything else = Quest 2.

Associate
I really wish we had a 72hz mode,
The performance increase going from 90hz to 60hz is huge,
It allows me to bump the graphics settings back up in my 2 main games and archive a solid frame rate, AMS2 and Elite Dangerous and I suspect many more, and run at over 100% Steam SS if I so wish,
Im one of the unlucky ones where I can feel the effects of the 60hz flicker,
Worth a try for every one though, apparently some people dont even notice it,
I feel 72hz would be the sweet spot for me and my pc specs

Soldato
OP
WOW, do you have a super computer at home? 3090 rigs barely do 45-ish fps on a pancake 4k. :eek: Microsoft has to do something about it!

I have a 1080, should be interesting :p

I re-installed XP11 last night to try out the VR, even that is absolutely amazing, so I think FS2020 is going to be incredible. I do find FS2020 to run much better than XP11 in general though.

I have noticed in games I have a lot of VRAM usage in VR, I guess that's part of having so many pixels.

Soldato
Promising - I've got the x570 Aorus Elite. Was going to update when I managed to get a 5900X but will upate tonight now. Not had many issues with audio but get sporadic 7-14 errors, even using a hub. Cheers!

Spoke too soon... just had to dick around with the audio again

Soldato
OP
My X570 has been perfect using a basic unpowered USB hub. Weird isn't it? Hopefully there will be a fix shortly!

I'm actually really impressed with the sound, it blocks out a lot of external sounds, plus it's not loud for others in the room.

Soldato
So I can't seem to get mine up and running.

I get a Error code: 13-14.

'Your headset failed to start at 90Hz. Make sure your headset's cables are plugged in correctly.'

I'm running a AMD 6800XT, with a AMD 3600 and a MSI Mortar B450 mobo.

Unplugged and reseated all of the cables several times.

If I change from 90hz to 60hz in the headset display settings on windows, the above error message doesn't come up. Instead the mixed reality portal app displays the VR content in a window on my monitor, but the headset shows no visuals.

Any ideas?

This should now be fixed with latest AMD drivers - go check it out and let us know!

Back
Top Bottom