Anyone recommend a smart plug with energy usage monitor built in?

Soldato
OP
Racking my brain overnight - actually have these plugs, just can't remember why they didn't work out - hence I got the Kasa ones... There's something buggy or missing about them if I recall. Will let you know if I remember!

Mysterae - why thank you! ;)
Well, can't get the Kasa ones from the african river (no stock), so I've gone for the ones in that video...

Soldato
OP
Well, can't get the Kasa ones from the african river (no stock), so I've gone for the ones in that video...
Grrrr... Got these Teckin units today. Battled away and just couldn't get the energy usage feature to display in the app.

A little message tucked away in a discussion on the african river had a reply from the manufacturer that they've now removed the feature. Returning... Now trying Gosund ones...

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Ah... Now I remember! Sorry, wish I could have remembered earlier - yes they all have some dodgy firmware, some people are turning to flashing theirs manually, but a bit of a faff and even that is being blocked.

Have some gosund ones also - although not ones with energy monitoring. They're ok!

Soldato
More generally I just like to understand my power profile throughout the day and what devices use the most power and so on...!
Have you set up monitoring at the meter too(blink counting) ?, so that you can monitor oven, hob, or washer/dryer(although they have plugs)

There remains an absence of peripherals in the market, and smart meters are (currently) pretty rubbish for telemetry, DIY with an arduino+photo-detectors circuit seems the only way to go.

Soldato
Grrrr... Got these Teckin units today. Battled away and just couldn't get the energy usage feature to display in the app.

A little message tucked away in a discussion on the african river had a reply from the manufacturer that they've now removed the feature. Returning... Now trying Gosund ones...

I can recommend Meross.

Edit: Although on second thoughts, iirc a friend buying some recently and said they'd discontinued the model that had energy monitoring - he did manage to find some stock of the older model though.

Seems rather strange that a lot of them aren't doing the energy monitoring features anymore.

Have you set up monitoring at the meter too(blink counting) ?, so that you can monitor oven, hob, or washer/dryer(although they have plugs)

There remains an absence of peripherals in the market, and smart meters are (currently) pretty rubbish for telemetry, DIY with an arduino+photo-detectors circuit seems the only way to go.

There's a few ways of measuring at the meter, I came across one company that have a device with an open API that you can use to pull telemetry data from your smart meter.

The only other alternative I've read of, is utility company called Octopus where they have an API where you can pull your data from their servers - it's not quite direct from the smart meter itself, but should at least give you an accurate view down to 30 minute increments.

I'd really like a way of being able to pull the same data from the water meter. I've seen one invention where someone used an OCR camera (optical character recognition) to take a photo of the meter reading, and then converting that into a digital text format.

Soldato
There's a few ways of measuring at the meter, I came across one company that have a device with an open API that you can use to pull telemetry data from your smart meter.

The only other alternative I've read of, is utility company called Octopus where they have an API where you can pull your data from their servers - it's not quite direct from the smart meter itself, but should at least give you an accurate view down to 30 minute increments.

yes, I've posted on a zigbee one before about £40 though and some code to write.
Octopus is, as you say 30minutes, but to identify oven signature need more precision,
one company was talking about an AI based meter level signature monitor, based on power factors, to automatically identify (most) devices

Soldato
OP
Well the Gosand ones seem to work well, give at least a reasonable indication of energy usage too, and on the african river are only £8.49 each at the moment.

Soldato
@katie279
Those graphs look good and the minute-by-minute graphs appeal to me. The privacy-orientated Home Assistant software also appeals to me, as I am dead against Alexa, Google Assistant, etc.

But the only thing that puts me off is the lack of Windows software for viewing the graphs and the need for a Raspberry Pi to generate the graphs. Is there any other privacy-orientated software that can generate and the view the graphs? My PC is on 24/7, but that doesn't mean I want to have a virtual machine running - that's just circumventing the lack of Windows support.

Soldato
OP
Indeed, if there was just a dedicated Windows program/service that could do the collecting rather than a dedicate operating system, that would be ideal for me...

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
@katie279
Those graphs look good and the minute-by-minute graphs appeal to me. The privacy-orientated Home Assistant software also appeals to me, as I am dead against Alexa, Google Assistant, etc.

But the only thing that puts me off is the lack of Windows software for viewing the graphs and the need for a Raspberry Pi to generate the graphs. Is there any other privacy-orientated software that can generate and the view the graphs? My PC is on 24/7, but that doesn't mean I want to have a virtual machine running - that's just circumventing the lack of Windows support.

What's the issue with non-windows (or indeed the attraction??) - grafana etc are all web based so I can playaway on Windows PCs, Linux as required.

Home assistant you could spin up as a VM on your Windows PC just more suited to a NAS or standalone as it's an 'always on' sort of thing, so dedicated raspberry pi is ideal/low power etc

Apols if not understood the question!

Associate
Some of you may be interested in Loop for energy monitoring. It may not have the level of detail and granularity that some desire and it does cost £12 a year subscription after the first year. I'm still considering it myself but looking at other more detailed options.

Soldato
Bumping an old thread, because I just wanted to know what people use these days.

I'm looking for a simple plug to monitor electricity usage from the wall and display the usage as a graph. I'd ideally like the resolution every second or so, but up to a minute would be okay.

My ultimate aim is to be able to look at a graph on my phone later on and check the usage graph. If the data was stored on a memory card and could be easily imported into Excel, that would work too.

Last edited:
Associate
I tried the P110's before and after 8 hours on gaming PC they were over 500w out from what dumb meter read and wasn't even close to capturing peak use from gaming PC

Also I have a receiver that draws no less than 30w idle and reset the plug but after an hour the highest peak was 28 iirc and I turned off eco mode and put volume up to 50.

Soldato
OP
Bumping an old thread, because I just wanted to know what people use these days.

I'm looking for a simple plug to monitor electricity usage from the wall and display the usage as a graph. I'd ideally like the resolution every second or so, but up to a minute would be okay.

My ultimate aim is to be able to look at a graph on my phone later on and check the usage graph. If the data was stored on a memory card and could be easily imported into Excel, that would work too.
The Gosund offer a simple view. Energy use values are shown live, but the simple graph probably resolves to hourly/per day. Nothing clever like Home Assistant etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom