• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Safe voltage for 5950x

Associate
Just got a 5950x installed after a replacement because of a shoddy job on a bundle by a competitor, noticed the ASUS ROG Strix 570-F Gaming motherboard is giving it over 1.4 on the core voltage, is this normal, seems high to me.

Thanks.

Associate
The voltages on Ryzen are changing drastically depending on workload. 1.4v and even more is perfectly fine if the computer is idle because it's not actually doing anything (amps... current all that stuff)

You will notice if you swipe your mouse around the voltage will drop since it actually has to do something. Check this in Ryzen Master/hwinfo64.

If you run say Cinebench R20 you will see your voltage go down to around 1.250v since it actually has to do stuff. If you run a really intensive workload like Prime95 you will see this drop even lower.

Associate
OP
OK thanks guys, what about temps, got a H100i RBG Platinum on it, idle is 32, but I’ve seen it peak at 82 for a brief moment. Expected or does it need a redo on the paste?

Cheers.

Soldato
I just changed out a H100I Pro for a freezer II 280 as i found the corsair lacking at the higher loads on my 5950x, if you are seeing 82c without putting a full load on the system, well... its ok.. but if you put a heavy load on all cores your temps will rocket, after 90c it will throttle and at <95c i think.. it will shutdown.

Download CPU-Z or Cinebench and run a benchmark, Multi Core test... watch your temps!
In normal usages you will probably never push a CPU so hard as a benchmark will. but it gives a you a good idea of how good your cooling is or not.

Associate
It looks like a slew of BIOS upgrades are now starting to trickle out. Upgrade and see how you get on as I have found temps better and also other key issues with WHEA Cache Hierarchy errors have now (potentially) stabilised. I'm also also to put on XMP and PBO.

Associate
I have found with voltages if you go to high your computer will just reset with a CPU Temp to high warning. Reload and everything back to normal. The fail safes in these are good.

Soldato
It seems to be doing good, coming from the old Corsair H100i Pro 240, with the H100 my idle temp was around 45c, gaming around 66-70c depending on game and under full all core load it hit 90c Fast!
With the 280 i get 39-41c idle, ran the Division 2 for a few hours lastnight, solid 63c and under full all core load it topped at 86c. It runs a bit quieter too and i have not touched a thing in the bios for the header its using, fully running at defaults at present, so RPM in HWINFO showed around 1000rpm give or take a few while idle.
I used Thermal Grizzley Kryonaught with both coolers so same brand paste used on both.

Associate
It seems to be doing good, coming from the old Corsair H100i Pro 240, with the H100 my idle temp was around 45c, gaming around 66-70c depending on game and under full all core load it hit 90c Fast!
With the 280 i get 39-41c idle, ran the Division 2 for a few hours lastnight, solid 63c and under full all core load it topped at 86c. It runs a bit quieter too and i have not touched a thing in the bios for the header its using, fully running at defaults at present, so RPM in HWINFO showed around 1000rpm give or take a few while idle.
I used Thermal Grizzley Kryonaught with both coolers so same brand paste used on both.
Thanks for the update, good to see it's performing well.

Soldato
The only issue i had with the Artic AIO was fitting, the bottom bracket would not fit with the motherboards own NVME heatsink/cover over my boot drive so i had to remove it, otherwise im happy with it so far.

Back
Top Bottom