Are you doing anything with Hue?

Associate
Recently got 4 colour bulbs for dirt cheap and looking for interesting ways to use them. Currently I have one behind the TV in a cheap Ikea clip on lamp thingy and one in the corner lamp next to the sofa. The other two are yet to be used.

I don't want to put them in other rooms as the colours won't get used that much in a bedroom/office/etc and I already have white Hue bulbs in every other room.

Looking for cool ways to use them, be it placement or a nice lamp to show them off.

So, how are you using them?

Soldato
I purchased a starter kit in a Black Friday sale years ago and it's still in the box. On the one hand I get the attraction of ambient lighting and on the other I don't.

Don
Every bulb in the house is hue'd up (50+ roughly), each room has at least one motion detector to trigger lights for differing durations in different daylight/night conditions, a few wireless dimmer switches scattered around with differing button combos for various effects and as well alexa's to control them via voice if required. Also have ambient strips for tellys, computers and kitchen shelving.

I love it, missus hated it at first and has now grown to live with it :)

Associate
Every bulb in the house is hue'd up (50+ roughly), each room has at least one motion detector to trigger lights for differing durations in different daylight/night conditions, a few wireless dimmer switches scattered around with differing button combos for various effects and as well alexa's to control them via voice if required. Also have ambient strips for tellys, computers and kitchen shelving.

I love it, missus hated it at first and has now grown to live with it :)

Yea I control with Alexa too, I have an Echo Plus in the living room and two of the new ball shaped Echo Dots in bedroom and office to control the lamps in there, recently upgraded from Gen 3's. The under cabinet lights in the kitchen are controlled by an Echo Flex with a motion sensor and a smart plug, as they were already installed (rental house). Just got a Show 5 for the kitchen though so might grab a different motion sensor and put the flex somewhere else, maybe on the landing for nighttime toilet visit lighting ;)

My wife is still in the 'yea they're pretty cool, but annoying when Alexa doesn't understand me and I can't just flick on a switch' stage. I have dimmer switches in the lounge and dining room but may add more.

Associate

GeX

GeX

Soldato
90% of the lighting in my house is Hue, all of downstairs is triggered with multiple motion sensors for different zones. Mixture of GU10s, LED strips (to light under cupboards in kitchen, above alcoves in lounge, around wood burner / recessed fireplace in dining room).
Upstairs rooms that have Hue bulbs in the ceiling have Dimmers that 'live' on faceplates that cover the standard switch. Many rooms in the house have Echos for voice control too.

Thought it was a gimmicky at first, but now wouldn't be without this kind of setup. Very much wife approved too.

Associate
When my house alarm goes off it makes all the Hue lights turn on - so every room lit up to maximum brightness instantly including external lights.

The sirens would wake the dead but all the lights turning on is good for 'were here'.

Soldato
I've been meaning to buy some of these for ages. Are you printing yourself or using a 3D printing service?

If you could point me towards the cheapest way that would be great. I think I have about 7 or so I need.

There are several UK designs on Thingiverse. Do it myself but used to use 3DHubs but don't think they do it anymore.

Soldato
I'm tempted to go with phillips hue for some outside downlights I want fitting in the facia board along the front of the house.

99% of the time will be to illuminate the house on a night to help with security however at Christmas and Halloween it will provide a nice bit of fun being able to change the colours to suit.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Which smoke alarm?

Kidde Slick on a relay base with an Xiaomi ZigBee button in it.

The rest are linked to it wirelessly and it means I'm not using any off-brand IoT alarms for the purpose of fire detection - the ZigBee trigger is entirely separate to the core functionality.

Back
Top Bottom