• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Reason to buy intel?

Soldato
Both!
BGA soldered to the board in laptops etc, LGA for desktops.

The point is, only AMD still have the bendy pin CPUs.

As above, dropping a load of thermal paste into an Intel socket wouldn't be a great idea.
You should watch the video where de8auer drops his threadripper chip into the socket. Yes chip is fine but board is fubar. He might have done it twice. £1000 board. :)

at least bent pins is saveable.

Associate
On my first Haswell 4670K I took the top off it to apply better paste inside In the process of this (using a razer blade, back in 2014) I cut a circuit (or more) without knowing it. I put it into my msi mobo and it didnt post. There was a faint smell of burning.

I ordered a new cpu and put it in without de-lidding first this time. It didn't post. The first bust CPU had broken the motherboard too.

Now I was sweating; what if the bust mobo had just bust my second CPU? God this could go on forever. .. But luckily the second Mobo and Cpu were ok.

The moral of this story is: If you are as clumsy as I am just get someone else to do the finicky stuff.

Associate
rtk21WX
rtk21WX

Show me the proof they're better, which is what you keep claiming. You seem unable to deal with the fact that intel no longer hold the performance crown.

If you look at Hardware Unboxed game average it shows the 10900k only 1fps behind the 5950x at 1080p.

I think the biggest difference is if you are benchmarking with the intel power limits disabled or not.

Soldato
rtk21WX
rtk21WX

If you look at Hardware Unboxed game average it shows the 10900k only 1fps behind the 5950x at 1080p.

I think the biggest difference is if you are benchmarking with the intel power limits disabled or not.
The thing is now, both current platforms are dead, so if you have a 8/9gen intel or ryzen 2/3000 you’re actually better off waiting for the next platform and DDR5 as there is no upgrade path for both platforms

Soldato
rtk21WX
rtk21WX

his setup has all the juicy overclocks turned on for intel. i think some poeple will struggle to replicate his setup as it is effectively a motherboard level overclock. and not all motherbaords are the same.

stock vs stock there is definitely a margin on intel based system.

Soldato
As mentioned before Hardware Unboxed benches with full PL2 enabled - that means the motherboard can inject 250w into the 10900k, double the 125w at stock - it's absolutely 100% a significant overclock.

I don't think it's fair to bench the AMD cpu at completely stock in its 105w power limit and then enabled overclocking power profile for the intel CPU that allows it to draw 250w instead of its 125w it's supposed to use

For the test to be fair, you should enable PBO2 on the AMD cpu which allows the AMD cpu to draw 200w and boost 100-500mhz higher than it does at stock

Associate
As mentioned before Hardware Unboxed benches with full PL2 enabled - that means the motherboard can inject 250w into the 10900k, double the 125w at stock - it's absolutely 100% a significant overclock.

I don't think it's fair to bench the AMD cpu at completely stock in its 105w power limit and then enabled overclocking power profile for the intel CPU that allows it to draw 250w instead of its 125w it's supposed to use

For the test to be fair, you should enable PBO2 on the AMD cpu which allows the AMD cpu to draw 200w and boost 100-500mhz higher than it does at stock

I think it's a bit of a grey area though as the majority of z490 motherboards will have the power limits disabled as stock. So most users who aren't even interested in overclocking will have their chips running this way.

Obviously the performance per watt ends up being poor VS AMD.

I think apart from a few specific price points, the reason to buy intel for a while will be supply as they are generally readily available........ if you can't wait. Once it stabilizes Intel will need to drop prices.

Soldato
IMO still a few reason why intel should be considered.
IF you are looking purely for productivity, then AMD, even last gen, are better bets.
But for gaming/general use no reason not to.
Given my experience going from a 5800x to a 10700k:

At 1440p and above no difference in gaming framerate both stock.
the Intel runs anything from 10-20 degrees cooler with the exact same cooling and case configuration.
The Intel 8 core mobo/cpu setup comes in at around £110 under the AMD setup, and that's without the current price hikes on AMD due to shortages.
Intel have more overclocking headroom, not least because AMD are more thermally challenged (at least from my personal experience).

I think both AM4 and LGA1200 have one cpu update in them, so similar in terms of longevity.
I am not knocking AMD, they have done a great job in the performance uplifts for Zen 3.
But I was disappointed with the thermals, they might be within design constraints but I just didn't like seeing it !
Horses for courses, you now have a choice at least ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel runs cooler while pulling more power? Waaaat?
AMD do understate theirs as they measure it differently from what I understand, but yes intel does draw a little more from what I can make out.
Certainly runs quite a bit cooler in my experience, but I wouldn't know the technical reasons why.

Can I ask why you made this switch?
Because I wasn't happy with thermals for the cpu, I know it is within spec, but I didn't like it !
I bought the 10700k/mobo knowing I could return it if it didn't improve things for me. But it did, so I stuck with it and sold the 5800x and mobo.

Rocket Lake will be available on the same socket and indications are the IPC will be improved by double figures, so that may be a way forward in future.
But for now, the 10700k serves the purpose of not being excessively hot and being plenty good enough for my needs and gaming res :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
AMD do understate theirs as they measure it differently from what I understand, but yes intel does draw a little more from what I can make out.
Certainly runs quite a bit cooler in my experience, but I wouldn't know the technical reasons why.

AMD measure it in exactly the same way Intel do. :)

The 10700K has a TDP of 125 Watts, at 3.8Ghz.
The 5800X had a TDP of 105 Watts, at 3.8Ghz.

The TDP measurement is taken from the power consumption at base clock, no boosting, for both the 5800X and 10700K that's the advertised 3.8Ghz. Both of them boost higher than that out of the box, unless you have a motherboard that limits the CPU to its rated TDP.

The reason for the apparently higher heat on the 5800X is because its a much smaller chip, the physical chip its self acts like its own heat sync, the larger it is the more heat it can transfer to the cooler and Intel CPU's being on 14nm are much larger, the actual physical heat the CPU puts out is much higher on Intel as they boost more aggressively and use more power.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Hello,

Wanted to ask, is there any reason to buy an intel CPU at this stage?

Sadly enough, availability is turning into a real reason. We're 5 weeks in and its still basically impossible to buy a 5x00 chip in North America, particularly the 5600 and 59x0 SKU's (the 5800X will on very occassions make a brief, limited appearance...).

Meanwhile intel 10x000 chips are readily available at both the high and low ends. I've been really jonesing for a 5900X but the longer this goes, the more tempting those 10900K's are looking...

Back
Top Bottom