• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which CPU Cooler For Your Ryzen 5000?

Associate
I am still running my Noctua Nh-u12a on my 5900x, no problems with heat, but might try an AIO when I move my u12a to my back pc running a 3800x

Soldato
Custom loop here too, although I'm really not happy with it ATM.
Temps are terrible, unsure whether it's the loop not performing right or just the 5950x running hot.

Soldato
What are your temps at

Once it's all warmed up it idles around 40-50c, gaming/benchmarks fluctuates between 65-90c
All this is at stock with PBO disabled. If PBO is enabled, it hits 90c+ within seconds then starts to throttle.

GPU around 45-48c & water is around 32-38c when gaming for a couple of hours depends on the fans profile I use at the time.

Last edited:
Associate
Once it's all warmed up it idles around 40-50c, gaming/benchmarks fluctuates between 65-90c
All this is at stock with PBO disabled. If PBO is enabled, it hits 90c+ within seconds then starts to throttle.

GPU around 45-48c & water is around 32-38c when gaming for a couple of hours depends on the fans profile I use at the time.

I thought Ryzen was supposed to target higher temperatures to maintain higher boost clocks?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jsy8bw/robert_hallocks_response_to_all_zen_3_thermal/

I am using stock settings with DOCP (XMP) enabled and I have also enabled PBO.

I have a custom loop as well and my 3090 is around 50c full load EK Vector block.

In most games temps are in the 70's (with PBO on or off)

The only game that pushes into the 80's is flight simulator. That goes up to mid 80's and stays there all the time.

No sign of throttling though and it seems to hold about 4.3Ghz average.

Associate
Custom loop for me

Looks great, but you appear to have the ghost of an old man and his transit van trapped in there.

My 5800x is due sometime soon, I hope... in a queue since release day. But I have a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh on order and an EK 240 RGB AIO to go with it.

Soldato
Would a wraith prism be able to handle a 5800X in the interim for some gaming until I decide what cooler to go with?

Associate
Would a wraith prism be able to handle a 5800X in the interim for some gaming until I decide what cooler to go with?
you won't break it that fast but it'll limit your performance, best you can do just enable ECO mode in BIOS or via Ryzen Master, it'll turn your 5800X into 65W TDP CPU which is ok for the cooler you have
btw while gaming you won't see the difference, unless you have RTX 3080 or better and plan to play in 1080p ;) even then it'll be rather marginal

Soldato
I made a slight change to the BIOS for my Artic Freezer II 280, just upped the minimum RPM a wee bit and booted into windows, its still quiet but temps at idle and while watching youtube have dropped from around 41c minimum to around 35c minimum.
Seriously impressed with this AIO :)

Caporegime
I made a slight change to the BIOS for my Artic Freezer II 280, just upped the minimum RPM a wee bit and booted into windows, its still quiet but temps at idle and while watching youtube have dropped from around 41c minimum to around 35c minimum.
Seriously impressed with this AIO :)
They are quality AIO's, used the 360 and now 420 here.

My only small gripe is i wish you could control the pump RPM without having to increase fan speed to do so.

Soldato
They are quality AIO's, used the 360 and now 420 here.

My only small gripe is i wish you could control the pump RPM without having to increase fan speed to do so.

That would be nice but if we could do that then id also like to see temp monitoring of the water like i could on my corsair. I did not pay much attention to connectors on the fans but did notice a plug daisy chaining them into the AIO?, perhaps they could be unplugged from it and connected to another mobo header?

Caporegime
That would be nice but if we could do that then id also like to see temp monitoring of the water like i could on my corsair. I did not pay much attention to connectors on the fans but did notice a plug daisy chaining them into the AIO?, perhaps they could be unplugged from it and connected to another mobo header?
They could, but only downside is the wire is very short so you'd need several extension cables, might get a little untidy but possible i suppose.

Soldato
Or alternatively, you can buy the Artic fans separately with the normal cable lengths or any 140mm fans you prefer and swap them out with the pre fitted versions, then use whatever headers you want on the mobo to control them:)

Caporegime
Or alternatively, you can buy the Artic fans separately with the normal cable lengths or any 140mm fans you prefer and swap them out with the pre fitted versions, then use whatever headers you want on the mobo to control them:)
That's a good idea, though I am still not sure if the cables will be long enough to reach all fan headers. I suppose you probably run all three off one fan header though with a splitter.

Soldato
Yeah thats how i run the three 140mm fans in the front on my Phanteks, as not enough headers on the Aorus Elite for them and the AIO and my rear fan, so i got a cheap 3 to 1 splitter for them to run off one header as the built in fan controller in the case was rubbish and would only run the fans connected to it at minimum speed.

Soldato

something wrong with your loop alright, probably the cpu block fottibg or contact.

I can get better temps than that with a $25 air cooler so if you can't do better with water something is very wrong

Soldato
something wrong with your loop alright, probably the cpu block fottibg or contact.

I can get better temps than that with a $25 air cooler so if you can't do better with water something is very wrong

Yeah, the block has been re-seated 5 or 6 times now, & I'm pretty sure it's how it should be.

Current block was the only second hand item I used in the new build.
I'll probably get a new block in the new year & try it, nothing seems to be in stock at the moment.

Playing Cyberpunk last night, GPU maxed out at 48c, CPU was between 75-91c, water 39c

Back
Top Bottom