Asus ROG X570 Crosshair Dark Hero Release? *** NO Competitor Talk ***

Associate
AMD 5900X just arrived

any now my watch is over and now my build begins

y4mDKhWzWGt26RPvCnCZr5r4d3mOXM6bYsDxg3gBcYTn21fv69g6VKoRkW_yHOFOyUk_Q5KJ8PxXrT8nU_1uQdNeMl6o1ruNLdcTmUlj-L7tfXGLy95Ok_Df0oDstAZcBOhfaA2qCyia4sQXerY3-QXhhB_hPHEOq6qU-WhYmJglEMUYdiLu5vpS71K5k3HXLTt

Associate
GREAT, Looks like I am gonna end up with two Dark Hero motherboards, I ordered one from one place that turned up today, but the second order from another place was already in transit. I will have to return one.

I had a little look at the board that turned up today. I understand that the sticker with the barcode indicates what BIOS is loaded onto the motherboard, but the numbers on the sticker simply does not correspond to any of the BIOS revision numbers that has been released for this board so far. There are 4 sets of numbers on the sticker, does anyone know which set of numbers indicates which BIOS is loaded?

It is not a big problem, I am just curious what BIOS version is loaded on this board so I know whether I have to do a BIOS flashback without the CPU.

Glad I'm not the only one that ended up with two Dark heros. Served me right for trying to beat the stock system quickest. Just ended up with two arriving at once lol.

How does one tell which bios is installed from the outside?

Associate
How does one tell which bios is installed from the outside?
Between the DIMM and CPU sockets, there's a small white sticker with a bar code on it and a string of characters. The last 4 are the BIOS. Mine came with 2503, which isn't available on ASUS' site, so there's no way do downgrade to the original BIOS after flashing it, if anything goes wrong.

Another thing to note is that while flashing mine, the mouse cursor froze. I was beginning to think it had failed, but it eventually completed after a long time (>5 minutes). Then it automatically restarted itself and failed to boot, but was fine after turning it off and on again.

Still waiting for a CPU (used an old 2200G just to test it first), but according to OCUK I should be getting that next week.

Associate
Hi all lucky owners :)

Once you have a time, could you please put here some experiences regarding, OC, temperatures (hwinfo) and in overall how do you feel/like the board please?

Temps after a good gaming session, like chipset, cpu, dram, vr mos, system, motherboard... I'd like to see hosw the passive cooling system works.

Thanks!

Once I get it all setup and tuned will give it a shot, though I wont have any gen4 nvme's so unsure if that impacts how much strain is put on the chipset

Associate
I'm liking this board (and CPU). My 5950X gets 4.6 Ghz all cores in prime95 with temps at 60-61 degrees C (NZXT Z73 cooler). All I did in BIOS was enable PBO, draws approximately 160W at 4.6GHz all cores.

Can't get the audio outputs working though, which is odd, but I'm gonna do a fresh install of Windows when I receive my WD SN850 next week, and hopefully that'll resolve it.

Associate
Could you check in the BIOS, is there an option to select Primary GPU or something similar? I'm thinking to use 2 GPU-s (Non SLI or CF) and it would be great to know if this otion is in the menu. I know the Gigabyte MB-s have this option.

Thanks you!

ps: I've watched a 1 year old video about the Crosshair VIII Hero (not Dark) BIOS tour, there is no such option. Gigabyte has this option.

Last edited:
Associate
Everything works fantastically well with my Dark Hero and 5950x with the exception of kernel power errors (and so reboot) in OCCT (the classical test). I only activated PBO in the bios and while in OCCT I see all cores only at something like 3.8GHz.

will try Prime95 to see what PBO gives me

Associate
Had installed all my new parts and for whatever reason I’m not able to power up the board.

All I get when i start up is a little red light to the right hand side of the memory, the start button lights up but i get nothing further. No noise, no case fans or AIO fans spinning up.

I’d updated BIOS (without CPU) before starting the build and that seemed to go well with that.

As this is a totally new build with all new parts apart from the 3080 there are so many things that are new and could be going wrong.

I’ve disconnected everything and reconnected it again but no joy.

Any advice from anyone appreciated ?

Associate
Had installed all my new parts and for whatever reason I’m not able to power up the board.

All I get when i start up is a little red light to the right hand side of the memory, the start button lights up but i get nothing further. No noise, no case fans or AIO fans spinning up.

I’d updated BIOS (without CPU) before starting the build and that seemed to go well with that.

As this is a totally new build with all new parts apart from the 3080 there are so many things that are new and could be going wrong.

I’ve disconnected everything and reconnected it again but no joy.

Any advice from anyone appreciated ?

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042678/##5

Check the manual for Q-led might help more but i think red is dram so try one stick at a time or a different kit entirely.

edit - reading the manual it seems yellow is dram and red is cpu :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042678/##5

Check the manual for Q-led might help more but i think red is dram so try one stick at a time or a different kit entirely.

edit - reading the manual it seems yellow is dram and red is cpu :eek:

Thanks for finding that i hadn’t found that myself. CPU and red light, that doesn’t sound good at all especially as I’ve just installed the new 5900x into it. I’m going to take it all apart again / put it back together and see what happens then and cross my fingers

Associate
Thanks for finding that i hadn’t found that myself. CPU and red light, that doesn’t sound good at all especially as I’ve just installed the new 5900x into it. I’m going to take it all apart again / put it back together and see what happens then and cross my fingers

Hopefully just reinstalling the cpu will fix it :(. Did you buy the cpu and board from the same place? Cos gonna be hard to really rule out whether its the socket on the board or the actual cpu, don't want to get stung with some rma fee for returning a working part. Would be safer to just send both back for them to work it out (but long) or maybe quicker to buy the cheapest am4 chip or b550 board you can find to test which one it is?

Thinking about it don't suppose the bios upgrade could have not actually worked and you're still on an unsupported one, might be worth trying to reflash agian? Just spitting out ideas soz

Associate
Hopefully just reinstalling the cpu will fix it :(. Did you buy the cpu and board from the same place? Cos gonna be hard to really rule out whether its the socket on the board or the actual cpu, don't want to get stung with some rma fee for returning a working part. Would be safer to just send both back for them to work it out (but long) or maybe quicker to buy the cheapest am4 chip or b550 board you can find to test which one it is?

Thinking about it don't suppose the bios upgrade could have not actually worked and you're still on an unsupported one, might be worth trying to reflash agian? Just spitting out ideas soz

Have just removed the AIO cooler and chip and I’ve not idea how I’ve done this but there are three bent pins on the cpu, so I’m now off to try to find some videos on straightening the pins. I know you can do it but they are so tiny it’s going to be really really hard to do without breaking them.

See picture,left hand first down about 10 down 3 pins bent :( :(
y4mJ_ERrpxLOXzxOjbVohTw9a3pOHoQ6KO_1qJtQukq3cdk260EfZGEQX8viWT7IXztcDjlxLQNjn3cMoml4VYx12C4WaDURbNXlOLwzDhPIBD2qkhsync_MEpiLyRo2S-HFePMMbpWK-Yh4YrUs0Xzk0IZSxeWIrfkSzejjJkMVYnt6gEnuyAOoWvNXhBCv8rn

Associate
Have just removed the AIO cooler and chip and I’ve not idea how I’ve done this but there are three bent pins on the cpu, so I’m now off to try to find some videos on straightening the pins. I know you can do it but they are so tiny it’s going to be really really hard to do without breaking them.

See picture,left hand first down about 10 down 3 pins bent :( :(

Ahh bent pins, that is not what you want to see :mad:

I've seen people have success bending them back but on a £500+ part I'd want it in mint condition day1 not me having to fix it.

Hope wherever you got it sorts you out a working one quickly :(

Associate
Ahh bent pins, that is not what you want to see :mad:

I've seen people have success bending them back but on a £500+ part I'd want it in mint condition day1 not me having to fix it.

Hope wherever you got it sorts you out a working one quickly :(

Cheers, just been watching a JayzTwoCents you tube video so will give his way of fixing it a try. While I don’t know that I definitely did it, if i send it back to Overclockers they will reject it as they will say it was a user install problem which it possibly was. Well wish me luck, going to be a busy afternoon trying to get this sorted. Don’t fancy losing a £550 chip with just a few bent pins

Associate
Cheers, just been watching a JayzTwoCents you tube video so will give his way of fixing it a try. While I don’t know that I definitely did it, if i send it back to Overclockers they will reject it as they will say it was a user install problem which it possibly was. Well wish me luck, going to be a busy afternoon trying to get this sorted. Don’t fancy losing a £550 chip with just a few bent pins

Good luck! Not ideal to be in this position at the end of all the waiting. Hopefully you get it sorted.

Back
Top Bottom