• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My 5950X has just arrived, what are the dos and don'ts for bios setup?

Soldato
Thing is the new Asus Hero Dark board offers Dynamic OC which is all the benefits of an all core OC that switches to pbo or stock for single core loads to get the high single core clocks clock when needed.

Yep that feature is great. I consider switching my board out but my asus formula has features that the dark hero just doesn't

Associate
Dont Expect a decent Port Royal or Timespy score with the current BIOS out.

On my Dark Hero, Im capped at 23000 GPU score on Time spy and 15000 on Port Royal. I get the same score whether having an average 2130 or 2230 mhz on my 3090. With the latest BIOS, these scores have dropped another 200 points.

Going to test Superposition now

Man of Honour
OP
Just installed the 5950X

This CPU is the dogs assets, I have hardly started tweaking it but have already used it to smash 8 Packs 4 card score in Unigine Valley where he used LN2 to cool the CPU and I was using a single air cooled GPU.:D

Best CPU I have seen in a very long time, well done AMD.:)

Associate
Getting between 55-60c on my 5950X - unclocked on idle using a Corsair AIO 360 in balanced. I'm new to AMD too but seems a little on the high side?

Soldato
Following this (and others) as I'll be setting up 3x 5950X machines this week. Got 3600Mhz RAM for the builds which is supposed to be the sweet spot, but also seen lots of people using and shops recommending 3200.

Associate
Getting between 55-60c on my 5950X - unclocked on idle using a Corsair AIO 360 in balanced. I'm new to AMD too but seems a little on the high side?

Yeah, I'd say that's quite high, mine was sitting at around 40-45C using my AIO.
Is your AIO radiator in need of a good clean like mine was? It was so clogged with dust that the temps were all over the place, so I cleaned it out (and the top-panel mesh that was over it) and now it's a lot happier.

Associate
Yeah, I'd say that's quite high, mine was sitting at around 40-45C using my AIO.
Is your AIO radiator in need of a good clean like mine was? It was so clogged with dust that the temps were all over the place, so I cleaned it out (and the top-panel mesh that was over it) and now it's a lot happier.

No its a completly new build, top mounted. it certainly feels a high idle temp coming from the intel world, however there are many that say it's perfectly normal.
I seem to be averaging 53c on idle.

I probably should have used some good thermal paste rather than the pre-applied that comes with the AIO.

Last edited:
Associate
I mean ... it's not awful, but seems a bit high.
Ryzens do spike hot IMHO as well, then settle down again... you said you already have the power profile set to "Balanced", is that "Ryzen Balanced" or "Windows Balanced" ?

I'd tell you what temp mine is sitting at during normal use, but I'm in linux right now (developing software) and the temp sensors don't seem to be showing :/

Associate
Yeah a tad bit toasty, it's windows balanced via Dragon Centre. The main thing given its a brand new build is it's stable both gaming and work station use which I guess is something.
I guess I should just keep an eye on it but intregued to know other peoples temps.

I mean ... it's not awful, but seems a bit high.
Ryzens do spike hot IMHO as well, then settle down again... you said you already have the power profile set to "Balanced", is that "Ryzen Balanced" or "Windows Balanced" ?

I'd tell you what temp mine is sitting at during normal use, but I'm in linux right now (developing software) and the temp sensors don't seem to be showing :/

Associate

NP. Back in Windows now, mine sits at 33/34C when totally idle, but even with a bit of web browsing it seems to heat up to 50 in no time and occasionally spikes higher. Always worth installing the latest AMD chipset drivers, if you haven't already, the x570 ones are here - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570
(Though Dragon Centre may well do that for you, I have no idea, I uninstalled that because it kept failing...)

Associate
Yep that feature is great. I consider switching my board out but my asus formula has features that the dark hero just doesn't

What does the Forum
Yeah a tad bit toasty, it's windows balanced via Dragon Centre. The main thing given its a brand new build is it's stable both gaming and work station use which I guess is something.
I guess I should just keep an eye on it but intregued to know other peoples temps.

Switch off Dragon Centre and temps will drop, I ran dragon for about 1 hour before realsing what was bringing my idles up from 30-32°c up to 42°c.

No clue why it was doing it though.

Associate
Basically everyone trying to run 4000MHz with IF at 2000MHz without any error on current BIOSes and that includes AGESA 1.1.8.0. for some mobos. Yes sure, some people have luck in running FCLK 2000 without many issues, I doubt there's more than handful that does it without ANY issues like occasional whea error or some other weird staff, or very high voltages. Yes you can run it, even I can do it (and I'm a n00b who spend last 10 years on Intel so I know very little about Zen architecture), I can even run some tests, but it'd not call it usable, at least not today, too many errors too bad performance. Maybe later with more mature BIOSes, or with better samples of these CPUs (like XT versions next year or sth like that).

On the other hand FLCK 1900, after initial issues MSI had with BIOS limiting everyone to 3200MHz or errors/crashes, seems like fire and forget.

Soldato
Just installed the 5950X

This CPU is the dogs assets, I have hardly started tweaking it but have already used it to smash 8 Packs 4 card score in Unigine Valley where he used LN2 to cool the CPU and I was using a single air cooled GPU.:D

Best CPU I have seen in a very long time, well done AMD.:)
What settings have you got so far and what cooler are you using?

Soldato
Was just checking my bios after an update, and noticed by DRAM when in auto is 2133Mhz. Any idea why that is? Sticks are Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHz. Should I just manually adjust it to 3400/3466/3600Mhz?

jlBr2Qu.jpg

Associate
Auto or safe it's always 2133, anything above is considered OC, but that's what XMP profiles are for, or manual tuning, usually after BIOS update these settings are wiped, but that's why you have the options to save & load profiles in many motherboards (thou be careful with that, sometimes loading old profile on new BIOS may have funny results)

You have to enable XMP, DOCP for ASUS, so it'll set them to target 3600CL18 (at least the basic timings are done by XMP). FCLK should follow automatically as it's not super high but you shpuld check if it's on 1800 after you enable DOCP, if not set it to 1800.
and then... either you're lucky and everything works and you can start tweaking, or it'll become unstable and you'll have to fix it. Usually fastest tweak, or 99% stable configuration is 3200MHz with FCLK on 1600MHz, if that doesn't work then it's very bad. But 3600/1800 combo should be rather easy.

Back
Top Bottom