Almost 10 years on. Time for an upgrade

Soldato
Ok, here we go.

Current specs
My CPU is c. 10 years old (I looked up the receipts and have worked out that my i5 2500k was bought in March 2011). Some other stuff was updated in August 2012, moving to an mATX setup, but everything is pretty much 8+ years old. Current specs are:
  • CPU: i5-2500k @3.3ghz.
  • Motherboard: ASRock z77 Extreme4 M
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
  • PSU: Corsair HX650W
  • CPU cooler: Phanteks TC14-CS
  • GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780
  • Case: Lian-Li PC-V354B
  • SSD/HDD: 120GB Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green HDD
  • Optical Drive: some kind of Blu-ray affair
  • Few aftermarket case fans
Needs
This has served me well for 10 years, and I really have no major complaints. I've had to RMA a PSU that broke, get a new fan where a blade broke, and I upgraded to the 780 at some point, but most of these were still 6+ years ago). That said, that's mostly because I don't use it loads. I've got a NAS with c. 24TB of space, that hosts most of my media, and I've got an intel NUC that I remote into and acts as a mini server to run a few fun things.

I do however use Steam Link every now and again, and the current machine I think is starting to fail anyway (I haven't quite worked out what, but something definitely isn't loving life). I don't need to be playing games at max settings right now, but I'd like something that can run most games on recommended settings for the next ten years. I tend to use the PC for things like RTS games, some RPGs, and the mrs. likes to use it for thinks like sims and would want it to run Planet Zoo....

I do do a bit of programming, and might one day dabble with a bit of machine learnings/development, and do do the odd photo editing stuff as well.

Tentative specs
  • CPU: Ryzen 5900x (thought about 5600x but figured the 5900 might last an extra year or two)
  • CPU cooler: I'd like to use the Phanteks (it's a solid cooler), but think I might struggle to find an AM4 mounting plate for it. If I need one can someone spec me one - don't want a all in one water thingy, I'd rather nice old fashioned air cooling with less chance of failure long term. Does need to fit in current case though (could be a pain)
  • Motherboard: Something mATX. I don't need 14 PCI slots, so dont' see this being a major issue
  • RAM: Probably Vengeance low profile stuff - someone point me in the right direction for the above? 32 or 64GB?
  • GPU: 3080 - probably.
  • Case: I want to stick with what I've got. I like the ODD for a host of reasons, and don't love the open design, all glass cases that seems popular these days. The cable management in it is atrocious, but it's understated, and I like that.
  • SSD: Probably time to upgrade. Think I might go with conventional SSD, 1, maybe 2TB. Don't see the pressing needs for NVMe for my use case.
  • HDD: Got more of these floating around than I need. Don't need any more.
  • PSU: I think with a 5900x and 3080 I'll probably have to upgrade my old HX650W? I've been reading needing something around the 750+ mark for a 380, but let me know. I value having something here that's broadly rock solid.
  • No need for OS/screen etc...
As you might be able to tell, the budget is kind of flexible. Given the availability of 3080s and the 5900x (what the hell is up with that....) at the moment, I suspect this might be an upgrade over a few months kind of affair. Anything 2-3k feels acceptable.

Cheers all.

Soldato
Yeah pretty much your list. Rough prices...
  • CPU - 5900X (£520 if bought at RRP)
  • Mobo - Asus TUF B550M-Plus (£160)
  • Cooler - Scythe SCMG-5100 Mugen 5 Rev.B (£44 odd, great performing and quiet air cooler)
  • RAM - Corsair LPX 32GB 3600MHz (AMD Tuned) (£158, would be my pick 32GB is plenty and future proof)
  • GPU - 3080 agreed, try get an FE if you can at the £649 RRP. But they haven't dropped in stock for 3 weeks, could be due this week for last 2020 drop who knows. Last FE drop was 3 weeks prior too. If not then whatever 3080 you can get your hands on! (AIB models are £700 - 850 region mostly dependent on what you can find)
  • SSD - If you don't need loads of storage, then yeah 1TB NVMe will suffice. I'd recommend the Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME. You can actually pick them up for £85 region (£120ish at retail usually) if you look around a few places (it's the model with a black/blue sticker... don't get the Rocket Q which is white/blue sticker)
  • PSU - Definitely recommend a quality 750w, or 850w whichever you can find stock of first - as good PSUs are also hard to find atm with shortages (£100-140 region for Corsair RMx, Seasonic, EVGA, Phanteks, SuperFlower or similar, these are all good brands)
Total looking around £1750 region (±100 more or less, depends on 3080 pricing and other component pricing you find)

Not sure on the lasting 10 year remark, but if you've been happy with a 2500k until now - then I don't doubt the above would be far off. :D

Edit: Just had an after thought, buying a Zen 3 CPU could lead to some BIOS issues... Meaning the mobo could be delivered with an older BIOS, which isn't compatible with Ryzen 5000 CPUs, so wouldn't boot. So I've changed my mobo suggestion to the Asus TUF B550M, as it has a BIOS flashback button on the IO. So you can flash the latest BIOS when you build it :)

Last edited:
Associate
Seems bizarre to me to jump to the 5900x over the 5600x when you do 'the odd bit of photo editing' on the presumption that it will last a year or 2 longer.

Seems like a waste of money and overkill....

Soldato
I upgraded in May and went for the 3700x and honestly I can't see any reason to go to a 5xxx CPU. 4K Video editing, games all on Max (RX5700XT).

Are the 5xxx CPU's really worth it at this point in time over a £300 3700x?

Associate
I upgraded in May and went for the 3700x and honestly I can't see any reason to go to a 5xxx CPU. 4K Video editing, games all on Max (RX5700XT).

Are the 5xxx CPU's really worth it at this point in time over a £300 3700x?

I also have the 3700x and for us probably not. OP has a Sandybridge though. I went from that same i5 to a 2600 and saw a massive improvement.

A 3600, 3700x or 5600x are all going to seem like a massive improvement for the OP.

At this point I'd personally go for the 5600x, however, it's not really worth it for me right now...

The 5600x should be about the same price as a 3700x.

Back
Top Bottom