*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
So is the consensus the G2 really is worth it? I'm definitely in the market for my first VR headset. I've heard people say the controllers aren't great but I'll mostly be using it for Flight Simulator 2020.
I've had a shot of a mates VR headset, which was first gen Oculus I think, so I know how immersive they are. The fact that the G2 has the highest resolution screens on the consumer market is whats mainly got
my attention. Plus the VR part of Flight Sim has been made specifically with the G2 in mind.

Soldato
Absolutely the best thing you can buy commercially if you've a primarily a flight sim in mind.

I fired up IL-2 last night, there is nothing that comes close to the definition that the G2 brings to the visual in the cockpit, it's stunning and comparable to a decent monitor.

* and if you're only experience is on a CV1 level, the G2 will blow you away.

Associate
Absolutely the best thing you can buy commercially if you've a primarily a flight sim in mind.

I fired up IL-2 last night, there is nothing that comes close to the definition that the G2 brings to the visual in the cockpit, it's stunning and comparable to a decent monitor.

* and if you're only experience is on a CV1 level, the G2 will blow you away.

Cheers yeah thats what I thought.

Soldato
I am not talking about games here, i understand the limitations of the gpu. Google earth, 360 videos, anything else useful to test my device - this is what I am asking for. So any ideas here would be nice, thanks!

I was only joking about the games.

I was serious about the half res mode. Your setup might be a really god test for it. You already listed out the types of stuff you can try that aren't games. Any video app, like Big screen beta should work and give you some idea of the clarity.

Associate
I'm getting really low fps in every game I've tried (spec in my sig). The audio didn't work at first but I got over that by trying multiple USB ports until one finally worked :p Is there anything specific I might be missing coming from a rift ? I've tried low settings on several game and the half res mode with no luck. I'm also not that impressed with the clarity when looking beyond the center of view. It's pin sharp in the middle though unless that is emphasising the blur further out because I didn't notice that effect as much on my rift.

Associate
I was a bit disappointed with that too - being a vr noob. But it's funny how quickly you get used to it so that you don't notice so much. I guess you subconsciously move your head more to avoid it. I think other people have said when they do go back to older headsets the sweet spot is noticeably smaller still. So it's probably better but it's one of those things with very small margins.

Soldato
I'm getting really low fps in every game I've tried (spec in my sig). The audio didn't work at first but I got over that by trying multiple USB ports until one finally worked :p Is there anything specific I might be missing coming from a rift ? I've tried low settings on several game and the half res mode with no luck. I'm also not that impressed with the clarity when looking beyond the center of view. It's pin sharp in the middle though unless that is emphasising the blur further out because I didn't notice that effect as much on my rift.

Your 2080 is not massively dissimilar in perf to my 2070S, and it's just simply not up to snuff running at full res in demanding games. Do also check that you don't have hardware accelerated GPU scheduling turned on as that was playing havoc with me.

Drop down to around 76% in global steam resolution and tweak further for individual games as required. Note that
running at resolutions lower than 100% will make the sweet spot seem smaller than it actually is as well as reducing clarity at the centre and I have also found the sweet spot to be very dependant on distance from the lenses. Do try pushing the headset hard to your face or removing the facial interface and getting your eyes closer - if you notice a significantly bigger FoV and sweet spot then you are probably suffering from the overly deep facial interface - you may want to keep an eye out for aftermarket shallower ones or indeed try the few mods that are already out there.

HP have released the CAD files for the headset, hopefully the controllers will follow. Slightly annoyingly the facial interface in the CAD has the cushion attached but I'm planning to have a play when time allows to see if I can make a shallower interface.

Soldato
I'm waiting on delivery of mine. Bought in the MM this afternoon but still waiting for Delivery (am I expecting too much....lol)
Coming form a CV1 I can't wait..... Id expect to be struggling a little though, got a 1080ti and play DCS......So need to find a 3090 quick..lol

Delivery joke was definitely a joke, even if not funny

Soldato
Out of interest ZB, what settings have you now settled on for IL2? You have the same GPU as me and at the moment I'm not getting the time I'd like to properly poke around and try stuff out. I think you're running WMR reprojection, defaults in SteamVR at 76%.

Correct, with most settings at medium/normal.

I'm really not bothered about which game exactly, but I really want to learn to fly the Spit properly (Flight sim properly anyway :D). I tried DCS and through a combination of throwing myself in without VR legs to a dogfight, and pretty poor rig performance I was a bit shaky after 30 mins (Does ginger really have any effect at all?).

Never personally suffered from motion sickness, but I've heard ginger does work well for other forms (air/sea) so worth a go - you can get ginger chewy things. As for sims, I've not really spent too much time in DCS but I think the general consensus is that IL2 is the go-to for WW2 era warbirds... but DCS has been making some improvements to warbirds like the damage model recently so that may be outdated or subject to change! I find IL2 tends to run a little better than DCS for the little I've played the latter.

Would I be right in thinking that motion smoothing in SteamVR (Which can only be altered per game) is the equivalent of WMR reprojection? Is the feeling that WMR reprojection for us lower grade GPU'ers is still better? and that motion smoothing should be disabled in Steam? The choppy behaviour of SteamVR I understand from re-reading this entire thread could be that it's not sticking to 45fps when it needs to. Would motion smoothing beat WMR in this scenario, or leave it at defaults of enabled to overlay on top of the WMR reprojection?

This is a little unclear to me at the moment. I was always under the impression that SteamVR motion smoothing did not in fact work at all for WMR, and only for Vive/Index so all the talk of disabling steamVR motion smoothing seems redundant...

Motion Smoothing and Legacy Reprojection is not currently made for, compatible with, nor does it currently work with WMR based VR HMD headsets.

Temporal Motion Reprojection is Microsoft’s version of this and is enabled via manually editing the WMR Portal for SteamVR configuration file. There are many details for this under the WMR Portal for SteamVR discussions.

Motion Smoothing and Legacy Reprojection not working? :: SteamVR Bug Reports (steamcommunity.com)

Regardless of the method, it needs to be locked at 45fps to be smooth... as per WMR's own blurb, a game needs to be able to hold 60fps for motion smoothing to work well, so you'd want around 75% usage at 45fps max for it to function as intended... if you have forced motion vector smoothing or tweaked settings such that you would never hit 90fps and your FPS is jumping up and down then something is going wrong. What can happen sometimes is that you are on the edge of 90fps and it flicks on/off which can cause stutters and confusion to the GPU which is suddenly seeing it's load halved and then doubled rapidly and tries to adjust it's boosting behaviour. Alternatively you may be running too close to the 45fps limit thus causing reprojection to fail and again you'll see stutter.

To me the golden rule for reprojection is that if you intend to use it, either force it on or make sure you tweak your game settings such that it will never switch off when left to auto. If not planning to use it, either turn it off or if leaving it on auto make sure you can hold 90fps the vast majority of the time in game. Having it flick on/off as you barely manage to maintain 90fps is generally the worst of both worlds.

When done right, motion vector smoothing is actually pretty impressive, obviously there are some artefacts but quite manageable and personally I find it a worthwhile trade off for the increased settings I can run.

Everything I read leaves me craving... That EVGA 3080 is looking increasingly tempting, but not at £900 for the OC version it's not. They really have us PC gamers 'bent over' don't they? If you could find 'em you could get two next gen consoles for the same price as a single PC component.

Yup, I really really want a new GPU. The image quality this headset can achieve with the right settings is just amazing but my 2070S is just not man enough for the job, even using reprojection. To be honest though I think in some games even with a 3080+ you will still end up using reprojection in some of the more demanding games if you want to run at the sort of settings that really maximise the display.

I think we'll need a 4080 before you can get close to both maximising visual quality in current games and holding a solid 90fps at the same time. Hopefully before then we'll have more widespread VR upscaling options, and who knows maybe mainstream headsets with dynamic foveated rendering might be a thing within the next year or two.

This headset has now reached a point visually where I'm very happy to sit with it until something that really changes the paradigm comes along. A higher resolution display is going to have diminishing returns while being ridiculously hard to run, so I'm only interested in a new headset now if it comes with something to address the performance side like eye tracking for dynamic foveated rendering or perhaps some amazing new lens tech like oculus showed off a while ago with half dome and their varifocal lenses.

Last edited:
Associate
Your 2080 is not massively dissimilar in perf to my 2070S, and it's just simply not up to snuff running at full res in demanding games. Do also check that you don't have hardware accelerated GPU scheduling turned on as that was playing havoc with me.

Drop down to around 76% in global steam resolution and tweak further for individual games as required. Note that
running at resolutions lower than 100% will make the sweet spot seem smaller than it actually is as well as reducing clarity at the centre and I have also found the sweet spot to be very dependant on distance from the lenses. Do try pushing the headset hard to your face or removing the facial interface and getting your eyes closer - if you notice a significantly bigger FoV and sweet spot then you are probably suffering from the overly deep facial interface - you may want to keep an eye out for aftermarket shallower ones or indeed try the few mods that are already out there.

HP have released the CAD files for the headset, hopefully the controllers will follow. Slightly annoyingly the facial interface in the CAD has the cushion attached but I'm planning to have a play when time allows to see if I can make a shallower interface.

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions tomorrow. I had intended to build a new PC before my G2 arrived but given the lack of stock, I decided to put it on hold until early next year. I couldn't be bothered pre ordering the majority of the build and paying premium prices :p Are you hitting 90fps or using the WMR reprojection ? I've found after making my post above that if that is set to auto and fps are above about 60fps, the frames lock at 45fps and it looks quite good. I always turned that off on my rift and aimed for 90fps but I don't think I have that luxury until i build a new PC.

Soldato
Yeah I’m using reprojection in all my sim games currently except for RF2 which can manage 90fps at 76% steam resolution. I may have a play and see how the latter looks if I up it to 100% and reproject.

As mentioned the key for it to work really well is to tune the settings such that you are able to maintain 60fps with it off, which translates to somewhere around 70-75% GPU load when turned on and it locks to 45fps. CPU does factor in too, but most CPUs can manage 60fps in the majority of games so it’s less likely to be the limiting factor. If you go to WMR settings in steam you can enable an overlay which shows when reprojection is off, GPU limited, CPU limited, or failing. Can be useful when messing with it.

Obviously I still prefer 90fps but the graphical sacrifices are generally too extreme to get there, and I find anything below about 70% resolution starts to annoy me.

Associate
I've been trying different things tonight and frustratingly I just seem to keep going backwards. One interesting one I've found tonight is that if I set WMR motion smoothing to disabled, and the game setting for Apollo 11 to disabled, set at 76% I'm still getting a significant reprojection count in fpsvr. I've just disabled them both, restarted everything so I don't get it. Even if there is some element of reprojection built in to WMR that cannot be disabled, I've dropped to 76% and this is older software now and my 2070 isn't managing close to 90fps.

@Zeeflyboy you have WMR motion smoothing set to auto, defaults at 76%. What do you set the actual game motion smoothing to? leave at the default 'use defaults' or do you disable it? I know you pointed out that it shouldn't even be getting used but another example I came across tonight is that if I set WMR reprojection enabled using the 'use steam app setting' and then anything other than disabled on the game, it really goes nuts. 10-30fps at best, dropped frames everywhere, occasionally CPU thread maxed out etc. Like it really doesn't like it at all.

I've tried going back and forth between Nvidia drivers with no effect either way (HAGS - or whatever it's called is off).

Associate
I've just gone to and back from the betas and it behaves the same way. So even when both motion smoothing settings are disabled like I mentioned above the reprojection ratio increases rapidly still. I took this to mean it was still doing some reprojection but now I'm not certain. I may need to read the manual for fpsvr but now I'm wondering if this counter is just an indicator of what would be needed to run smoothly. I have WMR set on Auto now and I'm going to leave it there as at least one constant in all the different things I'm trying. I've dropped Apollo 11 down to 72% scaling now and turned off motion smoothing. I get the magic figures mentioned earlier in terms of it keeping a constant 45fps with around 75-80% load on the GPU. If I set the motion smoothing in the game to anything other than disabled, it definitely isn't just sitting dormant. My GPU use then rises to anything from about 85% to maxed out and the fps struggles to stick at 45. Until MS drastically improve this experience it'll only ever be for the full on enthusiast. My tinkering to playing ratio so far is pretty one sided and can't help feel that Microsoft with their internal knowledge could conduct some trials and knock up a better setup guide than what is currently there.

Associate
removing the facial interface and getting your eyes closer - if you notice a significantly bigger FoV and sweet spot then you are probably suffering from the overly deep facial interface - you may want to keep an eye out for aftermarket shallower ones or indeed try the few mods that are already out there.

Even with the light bleed when testing this, it is definitely better.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just gone to and back from the betas and it behaves the same way. So even when both motion smoothing settings are disabled like I mentioned above the reprojection ratio increases rapidly still. I took this to mean it was still doing some reprojection but now I'm not certain. I may need to read the manual for fpsvr but now I'm wondering if this counter is just an indicator of what would be needed to run smoothly. I have WMR set on Auto now and I'm going to leave it there as at least one constant in all the different things I'm trying. I've dropped Apollo 11 down to 72% scaling now and turned off motion smoothing. I get the magic figures mentioned earlier in terms of it keeping a constant 45fps with around 75-80% load on the GPU. If I set the motion smoothing in the game to anything other than disabled, it definitely isn't just sitting dormant. My GPU use then rises to anything from about 85% to maxed out and the fps struggles to stick at 45. Until MS drastically improve this experience it'll only ever be for the full on enthusiast. My tinkering to playing ratio so far is pretty one sided and can't help feel that Microsoft with their internal knowledge could conduct some trials and knock up a better setup guide than what is currently there.

For motion reprojection Set to to "steamVR per-app".

You can short cut if need be:

X:\xxxxx\SteamLibray\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

Edit: sorry miss read your posts.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd love to know what you see if you try setting the game setting to disabled and see if you too get a minor improvement?

With WMR steam reprojection set to auto, none of the per-game settings (Global, enabled, disabled, force always on) seem to have any discernible effect for me on the two games I tried (AMS2 and ACC)

Are you on windows 20H2? Are you running either the steamVR beta or the WMR for steam beta?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom