Paint bubbling after washing

Associate
So I have just washed my car for the first time using Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax.

However I noticed the paint has bubbled in the area that was repaired 6 weeks ago/was repainted by an authorised manufacturer that came with an approved manufacturer guarantee, that gives no guidance in when you can wash your car/ points you to the owners manual on washing the car. Again no mention of do not wash your car for x period from new.

Obviously first of all annoyed, but thought I would take to the internet to understand if I've done something wrong?

https://ibb.co/JjJKyvV

https://ibb.co/8Y59q0G

Obviously remainder of car is unaffected.

You can push the bubbles like there is water underneath.

Caporegime
That just looks like a cack paint job to me. The last time I had some paintwork done I only waited a week before washing with my usual method.

I’d be taking that straight back to where it was painted and stressing the importance of proper prepwork.

Associate
What did it look like after it was repaired? Looks like an awful repair job to me but I'm no expert.

Associate
OP
It was fine until I washed it as far as I'm aware.
I just want comfort that they cannot say hmmm you should not have washed so soon after painting.

I've had cars painted before and never experienced this.

Totally fed up to be honest. The repair shop, took on the job of another repair centres **** ups/insurance rejection.

I have been without my car for 6months whilst this was all going on.

Already sent an email expressing my frustration, will see what's what Monday!

That orange peal effect was not there, and seems to have subsided since so not as bad as the pictures indicate four hours post washing

Soldato
That's a prep issue nothing to do with washing.

At the end of the day the only thing I would not recommend doing is coating a car until after a certain amount of time - this is to allow the car to gas but if the paint is baked this isn't an issue.

Simply washing or polishing a car is no issue though.

Soldato
It was fine, I literally saw it start bubbling post wash

It's all grainy. You saying it had a mirror finish before being washed?

PXL-20201219-110450856.jpg

Associate
almost looks like micro blistering , prep is crap and washing wouldnt have caused it , looks like something contaminated the primer they used or a reaction, not sure i know there is experts here but possibly water in the primer (not dried out?)

Soldato
yes - looks grainy as opposed to orange peal ... it's on a plastic bumper and also a body panel ?

seems to have subsided
? if you can move it with a finger nail, obviously needs a redo.

Had you powerwashed it ? albeit 6 weeks to cure sounds loads.

Associate
Washing would not have had any effect, unless you are using neat tfr or something totally unsuitable for paintwork like jif.
When I painted cars they'd always be washed as the final step to returning them,
prep
paint
bake
finish (sand, cut, polish as required)
wash due to the above)
detail
handover
This is poor prep and a reaction in the paint layers.

Associate
OP
yes - looks grainy as opposed to orange peal ... it's on a plastic bumper and also a body panel ?

? if you can move it with a finger nail, obviously needs a redo.

Had you powerwashed it ? albeit 6 weeks to cure sounds loads.
Literally misting it with jet wash for obvious concerns with the paint being new.

Jet was not reaching the back bumper too well so at at good distance.

Associate
OP
Washing would not have had any effect, unless you are using neat tfr or something totally unsuitable for paintwork like jif.
When I painted cars they'd always be washed as the final step to returning them,
prep
paint
bake
finish (sand, cut, polish as required)
wash due to the above)
detail
handover
This is poor prep and a reaction in the paint layers.
Hoping it will be an easy convo with the company Monday.
It has a transferable guarantee on the repair work completed by the manufacturer. I received the paperwork via email

Soldato
Don't even mention the washing or complicate things just take it back and ask them if they would be happy with this paint job ?

Had better results straight out a £3 can and I'm terrible at spraying !

Soldato
if that's the area they repaired, have they also fitted the parking sensor wrong? It surely shouldn't be pushed in like that.

As others above - that looks to me like it was like that from the moment they painted it, and you just haven't spotted it until after you washed it because that's when you look really closely.

Soldato
if that's the area they repaired, have they also fitted the parking sensor wrong? It surely shouldn't be pushed in like that.

As others above - that looks to me like it was like that from the moment they painted it, and you just haven't spotted it until after you washed it because that's when you look really closely.
No you're right it doesn't look at all correct.

Back
Top Bottom