Asus x470-F gaming - Selected file is not a proper BIOS

Associate
I have just received my 5600x CPU and tried to update to the BIOS 5809 but keep experiencing the following error "Selected file is not a proper BIOS". I have done the usual googling and tried various methods. My MOBO is the Asus x470-f

I am downloading the file from the ASUS site, extracting the file to the USB and using the renaming tool it comes with (also tried not renaming)

Tried with usb drive formatted to FAT32

Tried using internet in bios, it finds the correct file 5809 but same error

Tried using the windows update tool but says no update required.

Anyone have any thoughts on what my next step could be rather than waiting on a response from ASUS?

Thanks.

Associate
Have you tried using a different USB flash drive than the current one?

Most people seem to have more success with using an older, small capacity 2.0 stick.

Associate
OP
@EsxPaul I currently don't have another USB Flash Drive in the house, it is a 64gb one and I know that is not ideal for FAT32

@DoneADougalOnSofa Yes I unzip the file to the usb which leave me with the .cap file

I am downloading the correct one I believe https://rog.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix/ROG-STRIX-X470-F-GAMING-Model/

My current BIOS is 4018 which I know is old but all my overclocks are stable. Did not want to update to a newer BIOS until I was ready to upgrade the CPU as didn't fancy trying to OC again.

Associate
The main reasons I can see for this issue occurring after doing a quick Google search is either a bios for a different model of board has been downloaded or the bios version you are currently on is too many steps back to jump straight to the newest one.

Associate
@EsxPaul I currently don't have another USB Flash Drive in the house, it is a 64gb one and I know that is not ideal for FAT32

I can't say with certainty that a 64gb stick won't work but I would think your chances of success would increase if you could get your hands on something smaller, say 8gb or lower.

Although not your exact board, there's a thread here where a user had to jump to 5603 before being able to get to 5809 although that did not work for all. Might be worth a shot?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/k6wvd1/cant_update_bios_for_prime_x470pro_selected_file/

Last edited:
Associate
No problem at all mate. Nice job and I'm glad you got it all working :)

Hi Esx, sorry to hijack this super old thread but having same issues as op, except I'm trying to go to an older bios and your knowledge seems to be fantastic. Any ideas?

Have tried same steps as above... I'm baffled.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Soldato
Downgrading to an earlier bios should be the same process as updating the bios, you just use an older bios version instead of a newer one. There's a section in the motherboard manual that explains the process (if you don't have that to hand, you can also download a copy from the manufacturers support pages for your motherboard, which you'll likely already be on for the bios file anyway).

Soldato
Downgrading to an earlier bios should be the same process as updating the bios, you just use an older bios version instead of a newer one. There's a section in the motherboard manual that explains the process (if you don't have that to hand, you can also download a copy from the manufacturers support pages for your motherboard, which you'll likely already be on for the bios file anyway).
remember to not downgrade beyond what bios will support your current cpu :)

Associate
It’s possible that some bios updates are just amendment patches to previous bios updates. Ie they don’t completely overwrite all of the bios code, rather they patch some sections of what’s already installed based on the expectation that other sections are of a certain level already. That can explain why the OP had to do a double stage update.

equally dropping back down bios levels might have a similar issue. What you are trying to use may not been a full rewrite of the bios code, but a patch update, and when it’s checking what it needs to do in advance it might see that as an issue.

Back
Top Bottom