Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Soldato
With the DT 770 Pro's is there much difference between the 32, 80 and 250 Ohms? I realise there's an implication of what they should be plugged into with the lower ohm's being for mobile devices but if you have for instance the 32 ohm model plugged into a headphone amp connected to the PC would there be much difference between all 3 models?

Associate
Well, dad left a bunch of packages open in the middle of the bloody dining room that had presents in, right where everyone could see them
Because of this I know I'm adding an iFi ZEN DAC to the setup this Christmas

Associate
Hey guys, I didn’t really want to start up a new thread so I thought this is the most relevant.
Due to lockdown I started getting back into gaming and decided to switch over pc after having an Xbox for so long. I’m gonna be honest, I’m very new to this so please forgive me if I’m talking rubbish.

I’ve got the most part sorted, but I’m still trying to get my head round the audio part. What I’m trying to achieve is the best possible sound for competitive gaming, but with a few minor obstacles.

First of all, I still don’t really understand whether it’s worth investing in a dedicated sound card or just get a premium pair of headphones.

My other problem is that my pc is actually going to be set up in the lounge, so I’m gonna be playing from the sofa, not a desk, which will force me to use wireless headphones(please don’t try and convince me to get a desk, I physically haven’t got the space as my partner works from home so she needs the space).

Could you guys help me and give me examples what would be the best set up given my circumstances?

thanks

Associate
Some opinion needed please. I currently have a g6 connected to my pc paired with a x2hr, I came across the audeze penrose.

Just wondering if it’s worth going for the penrose? This will be used for pc and ps5 gaming.

Less wires is a plus I guess.

thanks

Associate
Main PC is a hackintosh going in to a gen 1 focusrite scarlett 18io20 and a soundcraft signature 24 mk ii.

In a pretty small room so just got a pair of KRK Rokit 5's and a DT 880 Pro (250 ohm) when I need to use cans.

If I need to use a headset to communicate I use a wired logitech g430 and it's fine. About all I can say really. It works but it's certainly not audiophile levels of anything. (But gaming audio tends to be crap quality anyway)

Soldato
Some opinion needed please. I currently have a g6 connected to my pc paired with a x2hr, I came across the audeze penrose.

Just wondering if it’s worth going for the penrose? This will be used for pc and ps5 gaming.

Less wires is a plus I guess.

thanks
I now have Beyer Dt990 Pro 250ohm with a Fiio K3, and the Audeze Penrose.

The Penrose are excellent, there's limited choice for PS5 wireless headsets with good sound quality.

Soldato
@TallPaul_S Good to see you like the Penrose. Nice setup and again that headphone stand is lovely.
Cheers - re the stand, if you wanted to save yourself the work of making your own - let me know. I see you're probably fairly local to me too.

The bass on the penrose in music is awesome, some tracks have bass that vibrates your head, they truly are fantastic sounding, probably better than the DT990s.

Associate
@TallPaul_S did you noticed any connection issues with the penrose? I tried my last night and it would randomly re-connect.
The dongle is arms reach from me too also on latest firmware.

Last edited:
Soldato
@TallPaul_S did you noticed any connection issues with the penrose? I tried my last night and it would randomly re-connect.
Zero issue on the dongle, on PS5 - I can nip to the toilet and have no loss of connection, can almost get 3 rooms away before it starts to break up and disconnect.

It's on 2.4ghz so if you have a congested area that might cause issues.

Associate

I have no connection issues on my Penrose either - range is a little weak compared to other wireless headsets I’ve tried but still more than adequate at about 20 feet.

Some have said the front USB yields more consistent results but guess it’s a trial and error scenario?

Associate
I was using a pair of Audeze Mobius, bought them end of October and managed a week of use before they died. The replacement pair died on me a day after arriving. Both times refusing to output any sound at all. Not impressed for a supposed premium product.

Replaced with a pair of Hifiman Sundara and a Soundblaster G6, which I can't use as my motherboard has just died on me :D.

Associate
Merry Xmas all.

Hoping to get some upgrade advice.

My HD598's are on there way out so looking to upgrade.

I have an Asus essence STX plugged into a dedicated Marantz Amp.

I predominately play FPS/Competitive games though do dabble in a few relaxing games like Red Dead/Resident Evil/Etc. I rarely listen to music on them.

Price Range: Don't really have one, will pay what is needed as long as there is merit to do so.

Any advice?

Thanks

After my k702s died (nice headset dog **** wiring) got some HD599s.

For £80 they sound great, but the quality feels cheap. Will see how well they last.

Setup is:
HD599s
Dx3Pro DAC/headphone AMP
Samson Q2U mic on cheap boom arm

All working well at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
I now have Beyer Dt990 Pro 250ohm with a Fiio K3, and the Audeze Penrose.
The Penrose are excellent, there's limited choice for PS5 wireless headsets with good sound quality.

I just caved in and bought the Penrose X. There's no issue with my Steelseries Arctis 9x but it's payday and I fancied something new, should arrive tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Hi lads, I'm looking for some advice on what will be a convoluted set-up. I want to keep it as simple as possible without sacrificing too much audio quality...

So my home office/gaming set up consists of a PC and PS5, monitor and TV, all on the same desk. I'm currently using a Creative G6 with Sennheiser headphones for everything, but I'd like to buy speakers or a soundbar so I don't have to wear the headphones all the time. They could be cheap enough speakers/soundbar really, as the heavy lifting of gaming and movies etc will still be done by the cans. To complicate matters, I also want to do some recording and maybe even streaming as well. What type of devices should I look at for handling all this, i.e. console, PC, mic, good headphone quality, soundbar, whilst still playing nicely with game capture/streaming?

Underboss
just going back over a couple of pages

@Timber and Co, i have DT770 PRO 250 Ohm version, ive had these for a few years now, and i dont feel im getting the best sound from them
although I game mostly, they are connected directly to my Xonar Essence STX soundcard, how could i make a change to something better to "feel" a difference ? i assume, get rid of the sound car and get a dac/amp ? if so which one would make a difference ? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom