Bad Ghosting on asus vg27aq. Any way to fix it?

Associate
Hi,

So I've recently just gone and got my first monitor after playing on my tv for ages and I went for the Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ.
So far I'm quite enjoying playing on it, the smoothness of adaptive sync is nice. There's a bit of backlight bleed on the bottom left corner but no big deal really. But the ghosting is an issue.

It's only been in cyberpunk 2077 so far, which is running at an abysmal 35 FPS for me. In all other games, they run well over 60 and I've had no issues. But when it happens, nearly everything on the screen is ghosting. Then I pause and unpause and everything's fine. Is this an issue with themonitor itself? Or something I can change in the settings?

Apologies for length of the post,
Thanks,

Associate
OP
Anyone got any suggestions?
I've noticed that the monitors refresh rate is not that same as my cyberpunks fps, perhaps that's part of the issue. With other games, it's fluctuates with their fps.

Associate
I know with some monitors, certain overdrive modes can perform better (or worse) in particular refresh ranges. If you're getting low FPS in one particular game you might be seeing bad 'overshoot', which looks like negative ghosting.

Maybe try figure out why your freesync/gsync isn't working, then see if the overdrive modes make a difference?

There's also a lower limit on the freesync / gsync / monitor combinations, so maybe you're falling under that which is turning the sync off.

Associate
OP
The freesync is working. But like you mentioned it has a, 44-165hz I think, which is below the limit. I'm not even sure wether to call it ghosting anymore. Sometimes when it's really violent, everything on the screen is juddering all over the place.

I've tried all the overdrive settings, or trace free as Asus calls it. And now while playing GTA 5, I'm getting a grainy, low quality blur over reflections on everything. Not sure if it's monitor related or now tbh.

I'm quite gutted really. I went from my 4k tv to 2k monitor because all everyone ever says is how they're better for PC and I've had issues within the first few days.

Associate
It depends what TV you were using as the newer stuff is sometimes better than what you find on dedicated pc monitors, but what you're describing doesn't sound normal so don't write it off.

Some dumb questions:

Definitely playing at native resolution?
Are you using a good quality display port cable?

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm always playing at 1440p. Though I do use dynamic resolution on cyberpunk because it runs so poorly.

And I believe it was. The cable cost me about £20 and it was vesa certified cable. I did wonder wether it was the game, but going back to my tv proved it wasn't

Soldato
It's only been in cyberpunk 2077 so far, which is running at an abysmal 35 FPS for me. In all other games, they run well over 60 and I've had no issues. But when it happens, nearly everything on the screen is ghosting. Then I pause and unpause and everything's fine. Is this an issue with themonitor itself? Or something I can change in the settings?

Apologies for length of the post,
Thanks,
Could it be due to 35fps is lower then what that monitor VRR supports
Have you tried running cyberpunk at lower settings so it runs at over 50fps to see if there still bad ghosting ?

The monitor’s variable refresh rate comes courtesy of adaptive-sync being supported on both the HDMI and DisplayPort inputs, through which the range is 48-144Hz or 48-165Hz, respectively.
Both ranges are wide enough to support low frame rate compensation (LFC). AMD users can enable it on either port, whereas Nvidia graphics card owners are limited to DisplayPort only.

Associate
OP
I tried running the monitor set at a 60hz refresh rate through the Nvidia control panel.

I've also lowered the settings so I can get 50-55 fps so the freesync is actually working but it still happens. It can happen randomly, but a sure fire way to make it freak out is to jump to the map screen from gameplay which is odd.

I'm getting weird grainy lines after a little while of playing on gta 5 and when I unplug the cable and plug it back it, it goes back to normal. Some weird stuff happening with my games all of a sudden.

Associate
OP
I don't have an RTX card so no DLSS enabled. And freesync has monitors that Nvidia have deemed G sync compatible, the vg27aq is one of them. I didn't expect it to be as good but what I'm experiencing is not normal. I'm gonna try and get some video footage and put it up on YouTube so can show people what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom