Bilstein B6 shock absorbers

Associate
My Skoda Superb wallows like a ship at sea over bumps. Forum search indicates they are known to be dreadful for this, even with dynamic suspension.

Thinking of changing the shockers to something firmer. Anyone done this?

Anyone tried Bilstein B6?

Soldato
The shock absorbers only control the speed the suspension reacts, if you want to stiffen the suspension you need to change the springs and from your description of the problem, you actually want stiffer anti-roll bars.

Can I suggest you look at Koni FSD shock absorbers with an Eibach springs?

Soldato
Are you sure the suspension just isn't broken?

I have a 2015 Elegance and find that the car handles and rides very well. This is with the standard 18" alloys.

Associate
OP
The shock absorbers only control the speed the suspension reacts, if you want to stiffen the suspension you need to change the springs and from your description of the problem, you actually want stiffer anti-roll bars.

Can I suggest you look at Koni FSD shock absorbers with an Eibach springs?
I am not looking to lower the car at all. Is your suggestion still good?

Soldato
I thought ARBs were for cornering and reducing body roll, not for reducing the soft wobbly feeling when going over bumps, but I just did some reading and turns out they would reduce problems over uneven roads. So you learn something every day! :) But just wanted to post really and say I've had both the Bilstein and Koni FSD shocks (Koni FSD's were on my 595 Comp). And the Koni FSD shocks were good. Ironically @WJA96 they were paired with Eibach springs from factory but I must admit they ran better with H&R springs. Seemed to smooth out the bumps easier whereas the Eibach's with the Koni FSD bounced around a bit on the rear.

Soldato
It's entirely possible that a particular combination of shock absorbers and springs works better in one application than another. The reason the FSD's and the Eibach Sport springs are used together very commonly is that they are both variable rate. The FSD initially is soft then firms up substantially as it nears it's limit of travel. Likewise the Eibachs are wound in such a way that the first inch of travel is extremely soft to smooth out small imperfections on the road but then get stiffer as the car starts to lean and yaw backwards and forwards under acceleration and braking. It's very possible that the H&Rs are even better suited to the FSDs but I've only used the Eibachs.

Soldato
Do you know the history of the car from new? Sometimes if springs have been changed to none OEM these cars are known to be much more bouncy. Highlighted more when towing a caravan.

Back
Top Bottom