Been thinking about buying a 3D printer but no idea what to buy

Associate
So, i am into sim racing and quite a few parts are 3D printed however you buy the parts just the drawing.

so what would you advise looking at
If they aren't anything of scale then an Ender 3 will serve you great. They are simple to use. Might get a bit tricky with levelling to get the prints to come out. Its just a learning curve and gets easier the more you learn. But if you want to make anything larger than its build size which is 235x235x300 then you want something like the CR10s Pro 310x310x400 with a push in price. Ender 3 is around £180 CR10s pro £475ish. If you need to know anything i've been printing for quite some time now and got plenty of experience under my belt.

Associate
OP
If they aren't anything of scale then an Ender 3 will serve you great. They are simple to use. Might get a bit tricky with levelling to get the prints to come out. Its just a learning curve and gets easier the more you learn. But if you want to make anything larger than its build size which is 235x235x300 then you want something like the CR10s Pro 310x310x400 with a push in price. Ender 3 is around £180 CR10s pro £475ish. If you need to know anything i've been printing for quite some time now and got plenty of experience under my belt.
Mny thanks, so quite a jump in price if you want bigger. Not sure yet, will have a lool at hose printers

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

If you want to go bigger you can get a Homers (previously Tevo) Tornado on Bangood for 220 gbp (300 x 300 x 400 build volume). I have the Tevo Tornado and it's been rock solid for me.

Have you looked at resin printers? I have an LD-002R and Elegoo Saturn and the results are far superior if you're willing to deal with the clean up that resin printing requires. I still like the Tornado for structural/mechanical items that I don't care what they look like.

Soldato
My Ender3Pro had just arrived and looks great. Really quick delivery as well. I have ordered some good filament and hopefully will get it setup next week and get some bits printed. I am really interested in printing out a vertical GPU mount :)

Soldato
My Ender3Pro had just arrived and looks great. Really quick delivery as well. I have ordered some good filament and hopefully will get it setup next week and get some bits printed. I am really interested in printing out a vertical GPU mount :)

You will probably want to look at sorting a rear or side spool holder, had nothing but problems with the top spool holder

Soldato
I now have an issue with my Ender 3 Pro.. :( i was having an issue with the extruder not stepping correctly and it was missing out steps and causing bad under extruding. My friend sorted that by increasing voltage to the extruder and it was printing pretty decent. I bought some upgrades (Metal Extruder replacement, capricorn PTFE tubing and uprated bed levelling springs) fitted them all, levelled the bed and printed a few simple test prints and all seemed good.. So i thought i would leave it running doing a set of cable chain things. All seemed ok but on returning this morning it had stopped at 38% and was just not responding.. powered off and then back on again and not getting anything now, no ender logo on screen and its just blank.. :(

Soldato
i have now managed to get it back up and running.. looks like the cheapo micro sd card it came with died half way through a print.. it sees that i insert it but doesnt come up with the option to print from TF card and it doesnt recognise it in windows. Phew.. just have to sort the bit of over extrusion now and hopefully i can get some good prints going.

Soldato
i have now managed to get it back up and running.. looks like the cheapo micro sd card it came with died half way through a print.. it sees that i insert it but doesnt come up with the option to print from TF card and it doesnt recognise it in windows. Phew.. just have to sort the bit of over extrusion now and hopefully i can get some good prints going.

My SD card died, after only using it about 5 times, was not impressed lol

Associate
errrrm nope.. have i missed something.. DOH!

Definitely worth calibrating this when you can (fairly easy to do with octoprint or same other way of sending commands to the printer). I checked recently and was under extruding by around 10%, I noticed that adhesion seemed better after with the initial filament not dragging as much.

Back
Top Bottom