The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
IMG-20201215-180504.png

Spiced lamb flatbread, tzatziki and a spelt tabouleh.

Soldato
Florentines look interesting, had clocked them in tesco 342's, not yet decided whose mincepies to potentially try. ?

So KFC, last night, had a whole c5 tv programme dedicated to their apparently renown gravy - the poor girl who had dedicated 2 years of her life to developing a hash brown with a dimple to 'catch' it.

Bread & Butter pudding .. made with bought bread , seems like heresy to put home made bread into it - buttered bread/nutmeg/muscovado/mixed fruit/egss+milk

50726963653_b7205ef367_o_d.jpg

Soldato
I thought I posted these, but apparently not. This was my birthday dinner, my girlfriend is vegan and whilst my diet is pretty much vegan I do like to eat meat and fish on special occasions so I made two mains and two starters. I'm a bit disappointed after looking at the pictures, the plating is pretty bad - the truffled pomme puree is huge! But, in my defense my kitchen is tiny, and I was pretty drunk by the plating stage (my girlfriend makes a terrific, and very strong, margarita!). So I did my best!

@Marvt74 recently asked me where I got my plates, they are from Tesco!

Pre-Starter
Oysters with shallot vinaigrette. (I bought 12 oysters, and could only get into 5 of them - definitely need someone to teach me in person. Youtube videos don't help!

Starter
Grilled asparagus, asparagus sauce, pine oil, gochujang hollandaise & pickled mushroom.
Fried Langoustine, shellfish fish bisque, buttermilk sauce & pickled fennel. (The shellfish bisque was easily the tastiest thing I've ever made.)

Main
Roasted heritage carrots with beetroot puree, 'goat' cheese, truffled pomme puree, potato straws and hazelnut sauce.
Surf ‘n’ Turf. Roasted Sirloin, lobster, truffled pomme puree, potato straws and bernaise & pine sauce. (I poached the lobster, then fried off in some butter at the end. I ate the claws later on in the night from a chopping board lying on the sofa with a bottle of red wine! :D)

Pudding
Carrot cake (this was bought by my girlfriend, but it looks (and tasted so good) so good it's worth sharing).

image.png

image.png

Grilled asparagus, asparagus sauce, pine oil, hollandaise & pickled mushroom.
ACt-C-3e0k-Hs-WLKPHru-K6-FKiyp-Ek-G0-Dtf-A4z-PMr9-SP3-k-BBpr-EYHThf-RH4p-Lv-SBB7h-HOOQv-6n0-OJk5-ELZ.jpg

Fried Langoustine, shellfish fish bisque, buttermilk sauce & pickled fennel. (The shellfish bisque was easily the tastiest thing I've ever made.)
image.png

Roasted heritage carrots with beetroot puree, 'goat' cheese, truffled pomme puree, potato straws and hazelnut sauce.

image.png

Surf ‘n’ Turf. Roasted Sirloin, lobster, truffled pomme puree, potato straws and bernaise & pine sauce.

image.png

Carrot cake

image.png

Last edited:
Soldato
1st attempt at a beef wellington today. Took it out the over at 50 degrees internal temp expecting it to go up by 4-5... nope kept going up from 50 to 68 and was therefore a bit overcooked

ReOuoU6.png
gxEN4Vh.png

Soldato
Those beef wellington's look great! :)

EjZnxo.jpg

I had Christmas dinner with my dad and stepmum again this year. We started off homemade sweet potato and peanut soup. Was really nice! :)

pHueMv.jpg

Next course was some battered prawns with sweet chilli sauce. Very light and tasty :)

KZdVLD.jpg

Quick palate cleanser with some homemade lemon sorbet. This was really good! Tart and refreshing without being overpowering :)

yorhVf.jpg

For the mains we had leg of lamb stuffed with rosemary and garlic, with as assortment of the usual fixings. And before anyone says anything, this picture was taken before I added on a generous portion of gravy on top :D

There was meant to be a cheese course to follow this with a lovely cheeseboard and extras, but none of us had the stomach to tackle it. So we skipped it and moved on to dessert.

mahdmY.jpg

6Zriof.jpg

Lovely little assortment of homemade dessert items and trifle. I was stuffed after all that! I did get to take home a Tupperware box full of lamb and fixings, plus another box with some dessert stuff :D

Soldato
I also did my first ever welly! Venison rather than beef. Bloody excellent.

Looks banging mate. I would highly recommend tightly wrapping the pastry and then wrapping and compressing it in clingfilm as per Gordon Ramsays version. it proved to make a nice solid cyclinder and keeps everything nice and tight.

Had my Wellington with Mustard mash potatoes, roast potatoes, roast parnsips and carrots and 2 small yorkshire puddings. Didnt have any plain flour so used bread flour for the yorkshires and they turned out suprisingly well.

Back
Top Bottom