Looking at Peugeot 107 2007? Advice?

Soldato
They are incredibly good on fuel at town speeds - but at 60mph+ no better than any small car with a small engine, but you feel far more vulnerable in it. Tax I'd completely forget about, it's not really a big variable over a year is it? £12 a month or thereabouts we pay by direct debit for our Fiesta, I just forget about it. Even my Focus ST is only just shy of £25 a month from memory

Soldato
We have one of these as the mrs has as a spare car her dad bought her it from an old bloke few years back before he went to a nursing home. it's a 2006 with 9k on the clock :D. Horrible to drive rattles and squeeks but not actually that slow around town and easy to park and work on. It's ultra cheap to get things fixed but the stereo and speakers are horrendous so get a speaker kit from citybugstore.

Associate
At that age and price what about something like an Astra with the 1.3CDTi engine? Loads around for £1000 or less. Has a timing chain not a belt. No DPF. Over 70mpg is possible. Much more like your Focus in size and practicality while offering city car running costs.
I ran a 57 plate estate doing 80miles a day 6 days a week. Was a very reliable bus at a time when I had little or no spare cash.

Soldato
£1K for a 2007 107?

Aye if it's one owner from new with full service history and no expense spared. Wouldn't pay more than £500 for that otherwise.

Soldato
Had a 911 a few years ago but had to sell to do something which didn't work out and lost nearly all my money from it. Back to bangers now.... Well, had my 20yr old Focus for 10 years.

Sorry dude, didn't mean to bring up bad times. I simply vaguely remembered you buying it against advice.

I do like bangers myself, I have my M140i and a 2010 Clio Dci and I just can't make myself get rid of the Clio! It preforms similar to the 107 you mention, but with a tad more grunt!

Soldato
Wife had a 107 a few years back. Cheap to run if that’s a priority and decent as a car for a short commute but felt like it was made of tin. One of the common issues with these cars is water ingress. They leak like the proverbial sieve. 107 forums are full of posts by people trying to track down leaks. The one we had was no exception. Carpets were regularly drenched and it became weekly routine to use an entire roll of kitchen roll to mop it all up. Froze inside in the winter. I never did find the source of the leak despite having all the carpets out, coating the floor with talc to see if there were any traces of where it was coming in.

The Citybug and C1/107 Owners forums even have stickied posts on guides on where to look for leaks, what parts of the car to pump full of silicone sealant.:eek:

Soldato
OP
At that age and price what about something like an Astra with the 1.3CDTi engine? Loads around for £1000 or less. Has a timing chain not a belt. No DPF. Over 70mpg is possible. Much more like your Focus in size and practicality while offering city car running costs.
I ran a 57 plate estate doing 80miles a day 6 days a week. Was a very reliable bus at a time when I had little or no spare cash.

This was something on the shortlist but I was a little wary as I thought timing belt, not a chain. I'll re look at these.

Thanks for all the information this time peeps. I look at it on Wednesday, keep looking until then.

Basically I need to do a 60mph 10 mile motorway commute each way every day and then town driving. 60mph as truck driver so just tag onto a truck and follow. Lol.

My 1.4 Focus does 42mpg religiously, costs £200+ a year to tax, and has been run on the minimum but regular servicing. It's been a great car.

Soldato
I drove a 09 Aygo for around 18 months and put 30k on it.

The ideal car? No - far from it. But it provided me with some very cheap motoring.

Threw up nothing unexpected. Serviced it, put tyres on it and a set of front pads and discs and that was about it.

My Mrs also had a 58 plate for several years and that had around 80k on it when we got rid of it. Only things that it threw up was a clutch at ~20k - they were known for these. But with one getting to a 100k, it's almost certainly had a clutch or two in it's time. And leaking water which they're also well known for. Check the boot, spare wheel compartment for signs.

Soldato
OP
You've all got me thinking if I should keep it because it's better the devil you know. Hmmm. Done 100k in it so it's on 133k now.

The Focus will need rear brakes (MOT adv), bottom arm x 1 (MOT adv), cambelt (6yrs/60k old?), clutch, all in the next 6 months at least. Clutch may last longer. Optional things I could do with fixing are drivers electric window regulator, cigarette lighter (for dash cam or permanently wire it in?). Maybe run it until it's MOT in April and get stuff fixed when weathers better.

Soldato
Very little on that list is going to be exclusive to your focus and could easily need doing on another car. The only things with any real cost attached to them are the belt and clutch. Clutch I wouldn't do until you have to.

I just changed both front arms on our Fiesta for less than £80

Double check the belt as our Fiesta is 10 years / 100k (although it makes sense to do it earlier rather than later if you plan on keeping the car)

Soldato
It's always sad the amount of old "end of life" cars you see getting scrapped just because they need a couple of hundred spent on them. Yet folk are happy to go and buy a slightly newer unknown car which could easily throw up the same bills by time the next MOT is due.

Soldato
OP
Very little on that list is going to be exclusive to your focus and could easily need doing on another car. The only things with any real cost attached to them are the belt and clutch. Clutch I wouldn't do until you have to.

I just changed both front arms on our Fiesta for less than £80

Double check the belt as our Fiesta is 10 years / 100k (although it makes sense to do it earlier rather than later if you plan on keeping the car)

I've always done the work myself but currently don't have space or daylight to do it so having to pay a garage. £100 an arm.
I thought cambelts were every 5yrs? That's cool.
I've ran it on nothing and like you say I've been fortunate.

Soldato
OP
It's always sad the amount of old "end of life" cars you see getting scrapped just because they need a couple of hundred spent on them. Yet folk are happy to go and buy a slightly newer unknown car which could easily throw up the same bills by time the next MOT is due.

I understand this. It's why I've put it off for a while.

I've been thrown a curveball now as I've seen a 55 1.2 Fiesta with 60k for £1000. But owner seems contradictory on history.
Same friend I bought this Focus off now has a 2013 37k 107 for £1100 which needs rear quarter, door and wing but is driveable. He buys and repairs cars to sell.
I'll price up my Focus.

Soldato
OP
It's icy out there tonight, rather you than me!

It is. I used to commute on a motorbike in snow etc. I remember coming back home once in the snow and I couldn't get up the path onto the drive. I had to spin rear tyre about 10000rpm and get a run up to go across the path up on to my drive then quickly pull clutch in before I launched 200kg of motorbike through my parents living room window lol.

Soldato
It is. I used to commute on a motorbike in snow etc. I remember coming back home once in the snow and I couldn't get up the path onto the drive. I had to spin rear tyre about 10000rpm and get a run up to go across the path up on to my drive then quickly pull clutch in before I launched 200kg of motorbike through my parents living room window lol.

I had a 50cc scooter when I was 17 and stupidly went out to my job really early one morning on the ice and came off 2 minutes later. No injury but after that I only ever used it on dry days.

Soldato
OP
I had a 50cc scooter when I was 17 and stupidly went out to my job really early one morning on the ice and came off 2 minutes later. No injury but after that I only ever used it on dry days.

My commute is all motorway except getting on and off busy roads. Ice will be a problem so need to be aware but cold hands will be the big problem.

Back
Top Bottom