Maybe I'm a noob but I didn't know this about refresh rates

Soldato
If it’s consistently within the Gsync range you should get any tearing, that’s the point of Gsync. If you’re experiencing issues then you’ve got something else going on.

Vsync needs to be on in control panel and framerate capped below refresh rate of monitor.
That’s how it works

Soldato
It really doesn’t. Vsync won’t do anything unless you go outside the Gsync range. If you’re capping your FPS under your refresh rate as mentioned then it’ll not do anything.

Thats actually true now as the FPS cap is now an option as part of the driver settings but before when you used Riva Tuner to cap the refresh under the monitor refresh you needed vsync on in the driver.

Vsync on in the driver sets the FPS to same number as the hz of your monitor.
Then you would set the cap in Riva Tuner to -1 of that number.

Now you can set the max FPS in the driver settings.

Soldato
Quickle google, I would have never known...... In the Nvidia settings, in v-sync there are several options, apparently, with v-sync "on" it caps your FPS to 72 (half of 144 doh!) If it can't constantly hit 144. I set it to "fast" loaded Rocket League back up and boom 144fps, almost solid, no tearing.

Result!

That's not how vsync works.

Vsync caps your fps at the monitors refresh rate.
IF your pc cannot keep up with the monitors refresh rate then it halves the fps and locks it there instead.
A 144hz monitor goes down to 72
A 120hz monitor goes down to 60
A 60hz monitor goes down to 30

Now if you had Gsync enabled and you couldn't manage the monitors refresh rate you would have been fine as you don't get locked down to half fps and it still removes the screen tearing.

Soldato
That's not how vsync works.

Vsync caps your fps at the monitors refresh rate.
IF your pc cannot keep up with the monitors refresh rate then it halves the fps and locks it there instead.
A 144hz monitor goes down to 72
A 120hz monitor goes down to 60
A 60hz monitor goes down to 30

Now if you had Gsync enabled and you couldn't manage the monitors refresh rate you would have been fine as you don't get locked down to half fps and it still removes the screen tearing.

Too slow. Read post 9 to14.

Soldato
Too slow. Read post 9 to14.
yea you didnt seem to know what you were talking about, nowhere did you explain that if vsync cap cannot be maintained then that is the reason the fps gets capped at half the frame rate, instead you made a guess and said that maybe it was because he had vsync on in 2 places. you were flat out wrong

Soldato
OP
yea you didnt seem to know what you were talking about, nowhere did you explain that if vsync cap cannot be maintained then that is the reason the fps gets capped at half the frame rate, instead you made a guess and said that maybe it was because he had vsync on in 2 places. you were flat out wrong

He was more right then I was lol.

Soldato

I think you are being quite rude and there was no need for your comment above. Yes I made an educated guess but then I could be equally as rude and say you can not read properly because your comment suggests so in that the OP resolved the situation and therefore your explanation is not needed. Horses for courses. :p

Permabanned
V-Sync=poop

G-Sync+Fast Sync and in the odd game it acts up in disable it for that games settings (not in Global Settings).

Soldato
Forget about FPS in pubg the GPU makes very little difference it's just a horrific game with next to zero optimisation.

I went through about 5 different gpu on it and it literally made next to no difference. You get a tiny boost not worth spending hundreds of pounds on for that game.

My mate ran it using dual 1080ti in sli and he still got horrific fps.

If that's the only game you play don't bother buying a new gpu for it.

Sounds like you were CPU limited on this unoptimised game so a better GPU wouldn't have made any difference as you saw.

pubg wants cpu power. fast as you can get it. makes a big difference in fps.

Yep. :)

Caporegime
Sounds like you were CPU limited on this unoptimised game so a better GPU wouldn't have made any difference as you saw.

Yep. :)

CPU limited.

Yeah must have been that even though I upgraded CPU every year for the past 5 years.

It's just a terrible game.

Even with faster ram, faster CPU, more cores, better gpu it made very little difference overall certainly not worth the thousands spent on upgrades.

Other games though I could actually see a decent amount of difference in the FPS.

Back
Top Bottom