what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
Very interested in your thoughts, @WhiteHartMart

Overall I'm really impressed and while it may not be saying much, they are by far the best wireless gaming headset I've used.

From memory, there are lots of obvious similarities to the Mobius (build, comfort/weight). Mic on the PS5 has sounded great in my testing (although there are some more negative reviews on this via Discord that I've read).

I'm comparing them with the PC38x and Tygr 300r I also use so soundstage is clearly a lot narrower but the balance of the Penrose sound really appeals. I'm using them with no Eq adjustments (there is a simple 10 band equaliser in the Audeze HQ app) and their sound signature just suits me so well. Punchy, quick bass which never overpowers the rest of the audio and mids/highs with enough natural detail without getting too brittle or harsh.

Audio via the wireless dongle on a PC or using Bluetooth with an iPhone 11 Pro Max has been superb - just a million miles ahead of standard gaming fair in this regard and for me personally, via Bluetooth I prefer them to the Sony XM3 I had once. (Suffice to say I also prefer them for audio to the PC38x and Tygr mentioned above) I believe there is an update soon to enable AAC via Bluetooth so hopefully some further slight improvements will be heard then?

Connection for me has been stable - range via the Wireless dongle has been in the region of 20 feet or so although so many factors can influence this.

All in all, really pleased - they are not perfect but they tick so many boxes for me that they are definitely keepers :)

Soldato
Not quite just headphone related but I have Phillips X2hr is there a way to drive them through an amp on ps5 with chat features? Currently I'm plugged into the controller but miss the functionality of an amp

Associate
Not quite just headphone related but I have Phillips X2hr is there a way to drive them through an amp on ps5 with chat features? Currently I'm plugged into the controller but miss the functionality of an amp

Creative G6 can be used via USB for chat and game audio - no chat mixing on the device if only connected via USB though so have to use the PS5 UI.

If you are willing to forgo PS 3d Audio you can route audio via TV and then optical out to G6 (if your TV has the output) and then chat/game mix via the G6 would be restored.

Associate
The HE-5XX needs to be bought now, I'd rate this thing over any planar under £1000, sounds better than the LCD-2 easily in my opinion. If Fang used rare earth magnets and high quality components he'd charge Ananda prices at least.

Hifiman have been approaching that more speaker like presentation with the HEK, Ananda, Arya but now the HE-5XX takes a ever so slightly tiny, tiny step back in refinement but now adds a bit of well needed heft that the Ananda didn't have.

How these sound this good for this price is beyond me. I feel that if one owns a HE-5XX the next upgrade is Utopia or Susvara, Abyss and that's it, sure there's headphones that do certain things better but there's always a gotcha, this has a good frequency response, probably the widest perceived soundstage I've heard along with the other large hifiman planars, good bass level, presence.

I would personally recommend people skip the LCD-2, Ananda go straight for this and stick with it or buy this save for an endgame if you're gear chasing.

Last edited:
Associate
What do you think of the Sundara's?, I'm looking at getting a set in the new year. Will sit alongside my Sennheiser 600s. I thought they would be something very different to them.

They only arrived yesterday, but working 12hr nights so haven't had a chance yet to put them through their paces other than to check that they work. Probably be Christmas day before I get time to sit down properly with them.

Associate
They only arrived yesterday, but working 12hr nights so haven't had a chance yet to put them through their paces other than to check that they work. Probably be Christmas day before I get time to sit down properly with them.

Just received some Sundara yesterday and apart from a fussy 3.5mm jack I'm massively impressed. Will be my headphone on choice now although I'm intrigued how the cheaper HE-5XX that @Ryanr1987 mentioned above compares now.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Sad day today, my Dekoni Elite Velour pads for the HD650s on teh left side has shown a bit of a tear:

av_SennHD650_Dekoni_tear.jpg

Doesn't seem to affect sound quality but you know me, if it's not right it's not right so I've ordered the newer version, the Suede (faux) ones which look to be even more plush and dust-free than the velour ones. To be fair these have had a fair bit of use (ordered in 2017).

Not cheap inc shipping but memory foam pads are tried and true as far as my ears are concerned on every good quality can I have owned and I will never had any other type of pad.

Still, sad times...

Caporegime
Out of curiosity, anyone using Senn HD599s with an E30/L30, or E30/Atom setup?

Just wondering if it's worth investing in a decent entry level DAC/amp stack, for now and for the future when I inevitably decide to try some HD 560s or something else :p

Soldato
Just received some Sundara yesterday and apart from a fussy 3.5mm jack I'm massively impressed. Will be my headphone on choice now although I'm intrigued how the cheaper HE-5XX that @Ryanr1987 mentioned above compares now.

I caved in the end and ordered a set as a Christmas present to myself. :)

They arrive tomorrow. Interested to see how they sound compared to my HD600s.

Associate
I quite like the Mobius. I dislike the noise floor on them though. Always a constant hiss in the background. But then again I do not have to use them all the time so I'm not overly bothered by it.

When they worked, I was quite happy with them although found them to have excessive clamping so long use was uncomfortable.
My issue with them is the build quality. I purchased my original pair late October, they lasted 2 weeks roughly before they refused to output sound in any mode other than "high res".
Returned them for a replacement pair, sent a brand new set which lasted a whole day before refusing to output any sound at all. Gave up on them in the end and got a refund.

Soldato
My new set of Sundara's arrived yesterday. Initial impressions used with Topping A50s amp and E30 dac.

• The bundled cable is carp. Too short and not flexible enough. If I keep them, I will have to get a decent cable.
  • Not as comfy as the HD600s. Initially, they felt nice, but they defo clamp more than the Sennheisers. I'm struggling to wear them for long periods at the min.
  • They sound bloody fantastic. I thought the HD600s pulled out loads of detail, These manage to retrieve so much more, but are not harsh in doing so. Sound presentation is really something else, and very different the HD600s, which is what I wanted. With the HD600s it feels like the vocalist it singing in your head, with these its more a speaker presentation. Separation of instruments is improved and bass is on a different level.

Purely sound wise they are amazing for the cash. And certainly, make a great second set to the HD600s as they are so different. Im just hoping they break in a bit from a comfort point of view.

Associate
My new set of Sundara's arrived yesterday. Initial impressions used with Topping A50s amp and E30 dac.

• The bundled cable is carp. Too short and not flexible enough. If I keep them, I will have to get a decent cable.
  • Not as comfy as the HD600s. Initially, they felt nice, but they defo clamp more than the Sennheisers. I'm struggling to wear them for long periods at the min.
  • They sound bloody fantastic. I thought the HD600s pulled out loads of detail, These manage to retrieve so much more, but are not harsh in doing so. Sound presentation is really something else, and very different the HD600s, which is what I wanted. With the HD600s it feels like the vocalist it singing in your head, with these its more a speaker presentation. Separation of instruments is improved and bass is on a different level.

Purely sound wise they are amazing for the cash. And certainly, make a great second set to the HD600s as they are so different. Im just hoping they break in a bit from a comfort point of view.

Glad you like them - sadly, mine are being returned - the cable was faulty. Have decided to try a set of HD660s instead for now but agree the Sundara sounded very good!

Back
Top Bottom