Bigger family car after a Focus - help needed

Associate
We're looking for a new family car that's big enough for two children (two car seats and all the stuff that comes with children). We currently have a 2008 Ford Focus. Ideally looking for something with a big boot, less than six years old, auto, and £12k. Thinking of an estate, SUV or MPV (that's not enormous). Would appreciate suggestions and if it's worth paying a bit more for something slightly out of that price range.

Associate
I went for Skoda Superb estate after selling my Focus, boot is cavernous, plenty of room for the kids, wife, bikes etc and is a nice drive.

I went for the 2.0 petrol estate, I was very close to buying an Octavia estate as I was a bit concerned that the Superb would be "too big" but I haven't had any problems what so ever and am glad I went for the Superb over the Octavia.

Associate
I bought a Skoda Superb 2.0 diesel hatchback after selling a Kia Sportage. Agree with roccles, they are not unwieldy at all. I got the 190 ps so it moves really well. Go take a look.

Associate
OP
The Superb looks like an awful lot of car. We'll take a look but might be a bit too much of a step up. Octavia estate was on our list, which might be worth a look?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The Superb looks like an awful lot of car. We'll take a look but might be a bit too much of a step up. Octavia estate was on our list, which might be worth a look?
If the Superb is too big then the Octavia will be perfect.
If that’s still too big then go for Golf/Leon estate, but rear legroom will be no more than your Focus.

Soldato
My wife has a MK3 focus and I have a 3 series of similar age, there a decent increase in size, apart from boot height. We've manage with 2 kids for ages in just my wife's focus. Might be cheaper to take less stuff out and about:D.

Soldato
Surely you can fit 2 kids and stuff in a Focus, it's literally what a Focus/Golf/Astra was made for, small family hatch that's available for the masses. I like how every parent is like "OMG we've got 2 kids we need an estate or converted Transit maybe even a 18 wheeler because we could need to go to the shops for a loaf".

Associate
[QUOTE="jtorry, post: 34398086, member: Octavia estate was on our list, which might be worth a look?[/QUOTE]

Have had a couple of Octavias (one saloon, one estate).

Perfect family car i found - good value, reliable and the estate boot swallows all the crap that you have to lug around with kids.

It's not a BMW or Audi in terms of interior etc, but I liked mine (I've got a skoda kodiaq now as we wanted 7 seats)

Caporegime
Surely you can fit 2 kids and stuff in a Focus, it's literally what a Focus/Golf/Astra was made for, small family hatch that's available for the masses. I like how every parent is like "OMG we've got 2 kids we need an estate or converted Transit maybe even a 18 wheeler because we could need to go to the shops for a loaf".

I've made the same comment many times on here. It really is weird!

Associate
OP
I don't understand the "a Focus is big enough" comments. If, having owned one for 7 years, it was big enough we wouldn't be looking for a bigger car.

Soldato
I've made the same comment many times on here. It really is weird!
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. We managed with a focus and a 911 for 5 years with 2 kids. Amazingly we actually managed to go out (all 4 9f us) with stuff in the 911 for the day. I'm sure there was a guy on here that posted about needed a q7 for his 1 child:confused:. Just reduce what you take op, most of it is not needed. Also fwiw, my wife is looking to downsize from a focus to a mini as a focus is too big.

Soldato
A Focus estate really isn't that big. They can be handy, but they're not a proper workhorse in the same way a Superb or Mondeo would be.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Maybe other people are just smarter and better able to plan than you?
Why they **** should I struggle and faff about with an impractical 2-door or 3-door when I can throw everything into the back of my A6 Avant without a worry in the world?

When I bought the pram/pushchair combo for our first-born, I had to have the seats down in my S3, whereas it only took up half the boot in my A6 I sold it for.
A few years ago I had a pram, 2 Specialized Hotwalks and enough stuff to keep us going for 2 weeks in the south of France in the back of the Audi. Why on earth would I NOT have a large estate with two small children??

Soldato
Maybe other people are just smarter and better able to plan than you?

We have a Skoda Superb estate and a Toyota Aygo...

For sure we could manage with the Aygo to fit 2 kids and a dog but why bother playing tetris when you want to go out anywhere.

A bigger car just makes things so much easier... Getting the kids changed after a muddy walk, all sitting in having a picnic and being able to stretch out a bit. The dog can literally sprawl out in the boot with loads of room to spare. Kids need the toilet, no bother just use the travel potty on the floor in the footwell or better still sit in the boot which is around the size of a bathroom anyway!

Whilst I know many people have different priorities we find the Skoda Superb an excellent all round car for the family mobile and wouldnt consider anything smaller than the Mk2 we have at least.

We do however find the Aygo too small even as a second car so will be looking into an electric this year... Therefore the Aygo is not reccomenrded as a family car even though you could probably manage.

Caporegime
Why they **** should I struggle and faff about with an impractical 2-door or 3-door when I can throw everything into the back of my A6 Avant without a worry in the world?

When I bought the pram/pushchair combo for our first-born, I had to have the seats down in my S3, whereas it only took up half the boot in my A6 I sold it for.
A few years ago I had a pram, 2 Specialized Hotwalks and enough stuff to keep us going for 2 weeks in the south of France in the back of the Audi. Why on earth would I NOT have a large estate with two small children??

Who says it's a 2 or 3 door? Might be a 5 door...

A smarter cookie would have checked the dimensions of the boot vs the pram/pushchair combo first.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Who says it's a 2 or 3 door? Might be a 5 door...

A smarter cookie would have checked the dimensions of the boot vs the pram/pushchair combo first.
An even smart cookie buys the safest car seats and prams for their children.

Back
Top Bottom