Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Permabanned
Never bought a gaming chair, never would! I learnt a long time ago the Chinese just can't make decent chairs, and gaming chairs are very clearly mutton dressed as lamb.

Associate
The only place to try out and even buy computer chairs where I live is staples.
I'm a 40 year old PC Gaming Enthusiast. I've worked off most of my life in 5'10" and weight about 200lbs with a muscular build.
I sat on and tried out almost every chair in staples. I was literally there for 1 hour 45 mins. At the end of it and much to my surprise I bought the staples brand Vartan Gaming chair. For me and my size, height, weight and overall body shape/proportions it was there most comfortable.
The most comfortable seats were the lazyboy chairs but the arm rests where ridiculously short and the chair only had the most basic of adjustments.
I had to buy a seat cushion for the staples chair. With the seat cushion I can sit in it for 8-10 hours non-stop gaming without my tailbone hurting like the dickens!

With all that said I'm in the market for a new chair. After watching some more GamersNexus videos I'm leaning heavily towards the Ergo Chair 2. Before that video I was seriously considering the andaseat dark knight, the two are approx the same price for me right now. But as I said after the GamersNexus video I am pretty certain I'll be getting the ErgoChair 2. I may even buy one of their standing adjustable desks.

Soldato
Seems the gaming chair market is much like the of the box mattress market, massive margins for average or below average products with zero concern for your health.
I've got a Kinnarps fully adjustable chair that I've had since 2008, needs a bit of TLC but has never let me down, and is a pleasure to sit in for many, many hours. :)

Caporegime
Seems the gaming chair market is much like the of the box mattress market, massive margins for average or below average products with zero concern for your health.
I've got a Kinnarps fully adjustable chair that I've had since 2008, needs a bit of TLC but has never let me down, and is a pleasure to sit in for many, many hours. :)
We had Kinnarps chairs in an old workplace, they were awesome!

Soldato
I've tried so called gaming chairs

Every one I've tried felt worse than a $50 office chair

steve is right, even the brand like Noble are just putting their name on a chair that costs $100 to make and sell for $500 - it's an total scam

just get a mesh office chair with a high weight rating and adjustable lumbar support and good warranty - I've seen a $700 gaming chair with a 1 year warranty, that's a total joke/scam - it says everything that the marketing tries to hide, the length of warranty tells no lies, it shows the true value and quality of the product

Last edited:
Soldato

I haven't seen any investigate this but I too have issue with the mattress market

it's a layer or two of foam, springs and gel but they wanna charge $3000 for it, probably cost $300 to make it

Soldato
The only place to try out and even buy computer chairs where I live is staples.

Similar experience here. I went to Staples, Office Outlet, IKEA, and PC World. Staples and Office Outlet stocked mostly tat. And nothing in IKEA impressed me at all. The most comfortable thing I sat on was a Noble Hero in PC World. I even went back to IKEA after PC World to try the Markus again, to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I wasn't.

Nine months on, I'm still happy with the chair for what I paid. Would a Herman Miller Aeron refurb be better? Probably. It is £1k worth of chair after all. But nowhere had one that I could try out. And I didn't want to buy a chair blind. Same problem with the office chairs that GN bought from places like Amazon; you can't try them out. And return postage for a 50kg chair isn't going to be cheap.

I bought the chair I liked the most, of the ones I could test myself. Doesn't matter to me whether it's a "gaming" chair or not. TBH I don't really understand the sneering and elitism when it comes to chairs. If someone finds it comfortable, does it matter?

Last edited:
Commissario
Got a Noble chair from OCUK, absolute garbage, gave it away to a mates son. Don't waste your money, you spend a long time sitting down so invest in something properly up to the job.
Just to offer a contradictory opinion, I have two Noble Hero chairs, one in my office, one in my radio shack and they're both great, very comfortable and easy to sit on for hours at a time. So much more comfortable than the Markus I had before.

Don
I'd also agree, having bought my stepson a noblechair for Christmas it seems comfortable and has plenty of adjustment.

With regards to quality, the noblechair seemed expensive, but you can feel the quality from.the second you open the box - everything is well packaged, instructions are a laminated booklet, and everything feels good quality and is well designed.

Back
Top Bottom