M1 Macbook Pro - USB C hub recommendation

Associate
I could do with a smallish usb hub that has ideally two hdmi ports so I can drive two displays plus use the macbooks at the same time whilst also handlingpass through charging, akin to a docking station. I can see there are a number on the amazon such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089D466LR

Please kill the link if not allowed.

Seems to get reasonable reviews, but wondered if anyone has something similar that doesn't cost £200+ and I can put it in the laptop case and use elsewhere.

I'd be running one monitor at 4k ideally 60hz if feasible, the other is a 1650 × 1050

Thanks

box

box

Associate
Bought a "Satechi" one off Amazon - figured if Apple are selling that brand through their store then they can't be too bad. I've been very happy so far.

Prices are all over the place though, and the market is saturated with these things so it's a minefield. I bought the one I've got for £30, but price has since gone to £80. I'd suggest checking price history for anything you're considering as you may be able to grab a better deal if you wait!

Soldato
Bumping this (yes in 2023) to see if there were any other options for usb c hubs for m1 Mac airs?

Ideally I'd like one with a hdmi out, GigE ethernet in, load of usb a and a few c. I am gobsmacked by this thread there aren't many options for these!

Soldato
Bumping this (yes in 2023) to see if there were any other options for usb c hubs for m1 Mac airs?

Ideally I'd like one with a hdmi out, GigE ethernet in, load of usb a and a few c. I am gobsmacked by this thread there aren't many options for these!
I've got an older OWC USB-C dock and that seems to work when i've, albeit briefly, used it on a M1 Mini.
But the Caldigit TS4 or older TS3 is a good shout; or Kensington 5600 or newer 5700; or OWC do a few USB-C and thunderbolt docks; or Anker has the 575 and 577.

Good list of them - https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2021/02/05/usb4-tb4-docks/

Edit - Where it gets trickier is if your using a base spec Apple Silicon device and need multiple external displays, in which case you're going to need something that supports DisplayLink.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I have used this model (at work) on both macs and windows since pre apple silicon days (2018) and it now works perfectly with the M1 Air models (not tested the M2), as it has a displaylink chipset. So you just need the software from displaylink.com to make it work with 2 extra screens, in addition to the laptop display.

I can't believe the price though, considering that's the price it was 5 years ago! I'm sure you can find it cheaper now.

rp2000

Soldato
I have used this model (at work) on both macs and windows since pre apple silicon days (2018) and it now works perfectly with the M1 Air models (not tested the M2), as it has a displaylink chipset. So you just need the software from displaylink.com to make it work with 2 extra screens, in addition to the laptop display.

I can't believe the price though, considering that's the price it was 5 years ago! I'm sure you can find it cheaper now.

rp2000
Wow, as bizarre as luck would have it, I think I actually have one of those lying around thanks, will give it a go :)

Back
Top Bottom